Holmes Road.

P.C.M

Holmes Road is my first go at a 7mm layout, I have wanted to do something for about 4  years now ever since getting a Heljan class 37 and building a Parkside Grampus wagon.

Why Holmes Road. Well a good friend of mine passed away about 5 years ago and he left myself and two other friends his model train, car and bus collection. Allan lived most of his life in Holmes Road so I thought it would make a good name. 

Holmes Road will be set North of the boarder in Scotland. I am not sure of the location yet but sort of Falkirk area. Time period is 1986-7 and motive power at the moment is a Heljan 26,37 and class 45. Now I know class 45s were not common in Scotland but I saw one on my first visit in 1985 and when I saw the Heljan model I decided why not.

The layout will be 12ft by 2 ft two of the 3 boards have been built  and represent a small part of a larger yard, with a single road fuel point and run round for freight trains arriving and being shunted. A siding for fuel tanks and another siding for anything else that turns up.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-52580400-1498127881_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-28020400-1498127933_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-31208300-1498127961_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-41101400-1498127984_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the big world of 7mm! Just no excuse for taking your foot off the gas with Llanbourne!! Like the plan, and your ideas, shall be following your progress.

Rich

Good luck with this one Peter, not that you need it as Llanbourne is a truly superb layout. Cannot wait to see the Peak and 26 having been treated to your excellent weathering.

I can see why you couldn't resist the Heljan Peak, looks a monster!

You have got much further than me, I planned to build a small 7mm layout for my Heljan 60 but alas no progress. It is still sitting in its box!

Look forward to seeing your next update.

Hello Peter, welcome to 7mm, I fear for the demise of Llanbourne now ..... that 4mm stuff won't look or feel the same again, I was just looking at your two boards you have up on the photographs, WOW those Peaks are a big model !!!! They take up nearly a 1/4 of the space !!!

Best regards

Craig

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the big world of 7mm! Just no excuse for taking your foot off the gas with Llanbourne!! Like the plan, and your ideas, shall be following your progress.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

Llanbourne still has priority over this but it's nice to have something different to work on.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Good luck with this one Peter, not that you need it as Llanbourne is a truly superb layout. Cannot wait to see the Peak and 26 having been treated to your excellent weathering.

I can see why you couldn't resist the Heljan Peak, looks a monster!

You have got much further than me, I planned to build a small 7mm layout for my Heljan 60 but alas no progress. It is still sitting in its box!

Look forward to seeing your next update.

Thanks Alex,

I have plans for my 26 and 37, the Peak wasn't really planned as I was saving for a class 25. But when I saw the Peak I just had to have one, it did mean selling a bit of 00 stuff though.

Not surprised you bought a class 60 they do look really nice. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hello Peter, welcome to 7mm, I fear for the demise of Llanbourne now ..... that 4mm stuff won't look or feel the same again, I was just looking at your two boards you have up on the photographs, WOW those Peaks are a big model !!!! They take up nearly a 1/4 of the space !!!

Best regards

Craig

Thanks Craig,

I have come to far with Llanbourne to stop work on it now. The 7mm will just be a shunting layout with a few wagons, I really can't afford to get to carried away with it. 

The Peak is a beast, I have had to make the headshunts a bit longer but I am pretty I will still have enough room for everything else.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Hi Peter,

Nice to see your thoughts and acquisitions being put to good use, I look forward to your progress, as if Lanbourne is anything to go by, then it will be fantastic.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

I have a few other resin wagons to do as well an OBA and a VAA. All stuff I have picked up over the years. I have a Pete Harvey etch for my class 37 to do as well.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Jinty,

I have a few other resin wagons to do as well an OBA and a VAA. All stuff I have picked up over the years. I have a Pete Harvey etch for my class 37 to do as well.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I would highly recommend the JLTRT Diesel detailing kit to go with the PH etch, but I went for the Markits Oleo Oval turned brass buffers as the JLTRT cast ones wern't quite square with the face plate so would've looked like the ovals were drooping either in or out. The Markits ones are truly square.

I can give you the part numbers/links for either of the items if you want?

Jinty ;)

Hi Peter,

I would highly recommend the JLTRT Diesel detailing kit to go with the PH etch, but I went for the Markits Oleo Oval turned brass buffers as the JLTRT cast ones wern't quite square with the face plate so would've looked like the ovals were drooping either in or out. The Markits ones are truly square.

I can give you the part numbers/links for either of the items if you want?

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

The part number/link for the Markits would be good. I have checked out the JLTRT website as I will get the airtank kit for changing the class 26 at some point. The diesel detailing pack might be a waste of money as I don't need some of the parts in the pack.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Jinty,

The part number/link for the Markits would be good. I have checked out the JLTRT website as I will get the airtank kit for changing the class 26 at some point. The diesel detailing pack might be a waste of money as I don't need some of the parts in the pack.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Here is a link for the sprung buffers

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/770/7mb013-lms/br-oval-loco-buffers-by-markits/

They just need some tread steps soldered to the top of them, but they benefit in being non rotational.

Jinty ;)

Welcome Peter to the world of 0 gauge. You will not regret the move upwards which I did some 7 years ago. My friend Howard has been a great help in getting Ramchester to the state that it is in now but there is no way that I could ever go back to the smaller scales. I too sold all of my 00 and HO stuff in order to finance the larger scale and I have never regretted it.

Good luck with this project which I will be following with interest.

Rod

HI Peter

Nice one! I agree on the Peak - too good to miss. I have one and yet my model is based on the Braintree branch in Essex. However I just can't resist these big blue diesels! Too many reminders of my childhood! Like Rod I sold most of my 4mm stuff years ago to finance 7mm and I wouldn't go back even though I really don't have enough space.  The current layout has never been put up in its entirely apart from when it was bare boards and I was track laying, Thats because we dont have a path of ground big enough to set it up on the level and its too big to go in the house so I have to work on it a board at a time - when I get time. Check out the link in my signature

I am looking forward to seeing this progress

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Here is a link for the sprung buffers

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/770/7mb013-lms/br-oval-loco-buffers-by-markits/

They just need some tread steps soldered to the top of them, but they benefit in being non rotational.

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

Had a look at the link, they look quite good though a bit more expensive than I would have thought. 

You said the JLTRT where out of square. Could that be fixed with some filing.

Cheers Peter. 

Welcome Peter to the world of 0 gauge. You will not regret the move upwards which I did some 7 years ago. My friend Howard has been a great help in getting Ramchester to the state that it is in now but there is no way that I could ever go back to the smaller scales. I too sold all of my 00 and HO stuff in order to finance the larger scale and I have never regretted it.

Good luck with this project which I will be following with interest.

Rod

Thanks Rod, I have checked in on Ramchester a few times it's very nice. I have done so much to my 00 stock I couldn't bring myself to sell it or pull the layout apart. I hope I will be happy with a small shunting type layout for my 7mm stuff. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

That's looking good. 

We may have a large contingent of small O gauge layouts in the BRMA convention in October.

Frank K is working on his.  I am off to Stawell in a couple of weeks with my small layout.  I have gained a LNER F8 2-4-2T

l'll be sticking with steam.  Tempted to get Dapol 08 but would still prefer steam.  A friend has the 08 and runs very nicely.  I may have it at Stawell.

I hear Frank and Manfred are attending.

Look forward to seeing your progress.  See you sometime.

Mark

HI Peter

Nice one! I agree on the Peak - too good to miss. I have one and yet my model is based on the Braintree branch in Essex. However I just can't resist these big blue diesels! Too many reminders of my childhood! Like Rod I sold most of my 4mm stuff years ago to finance 7mm and I wouldn't go back even though I really don't have enough space.  The current layout has never been put up in its entirely apart from when it was bare boards and I was track laying, Thats because we dont have a path of ground big enough to set it up on the level and its too big to go in the house so I have to work on it a board at a time - when I get time. Check out the link in my signature

I am looking forward to seeing this progress

Paul R

Hi Paul,

Just been having a look at your layout, your trackwork looks great. I see you bought a Peak too and I like your class 40s.

Holmes Road will have to be set up outside when in use but can be pulled down and stored in the garage with Llanbourne when not in use. I still need to build the 3rd board but before I do that I need to work out how I am going to do the fiddleyard.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Thanks Jinty,

Had a look at the link, they look quite good though a bit more expensive than I would have thought. 

You said the JLTRT where out of square. Could that be fixed with some filing.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Peter,

Expensive?????????     This is 7mm!!!!!!! ;)

The JLTRT ones are like a Woodruff key, say on the end of a crankshaft that locates the bottom pulley in position, the only way I could think of accurately re-setting them would be by cutting the buffer heads off the shank and re-soldering them back in place in the correct position. I suppose an alternative method could be to remove the positioning tang and drill through the shank to put a pin in place in the correct orientation.

There is bound to be other ways to do it, I just opted for the Markits replacement.

The JLTRT buffers came with the detailing pack, I'm not sure if they're available separately.

Jinty ;)

Hi Paul,

Just been having a look at your layout, your trackwork looks great. I see you bought a Peak too and I like your class 40s.

Holmes Road will have to be set up outside when in use but can be pulled down and stored in the garage with Llanbourne when not in use. I still need to build the 3rd board but before I do that I need to work out how I am going to do the fiddleyard.

Cheers Peter.

Peter

I am planning on using cassettes for mine. The two end boards are plain topped for this reason. I have knocked a few test cassettes up from angle aluminium. Each fiddle yard board may have to have a 15" piece cantelevered on the end as the boards are only 3' 6" long and I want to have enough for 2coaches plus loco. May actually have to have additional boards to be honest but then we start to get too big! When originally deigned the layout was supposed to have been able to have been transported in 2 cars hence the narrow width.

Paul R

I will follow this with interest.

Just a thought but re the Class 45 Peak - you could always convert it to a Class 46 Peak (relatively minor changes) as these were much more common certainly around the Edinburgh/Haymarket areas as they ventured north from Gateshead which had a large allocation.

Good luck,

Deltic17

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

Expensive?????????     This is 7mm!!!!!!! ;)

The JLTRT ones are like a Woodruff key, say on the end of a crankshaft that locates the bottom pulley in position, the only way I could think of accurately re-setting them would be by cutting the buffer heads off the shank and re-soldering them back in place in the correct position. I suppose an alternative method could be to remove the positioning tang and drill through the shank to put a pin in place in the correct orientation.

There is bound to be other ways to do it, I just opted for the Markits replacement.

The JLTRT buffers came with the detailing pack, I'm not sure if they're available separately.

Jinty ;)

Ha ha I thought after posting my reply that someone would say this is 7mm don't be a tight arse. lol

I think the Markits ones will be the go as they do look good and I don't want to be farting around with something that just isn't right. what did you use for the small step on yours?

Cheers Peter.

Peter

I am planning on using cassettes for mine. The two end boards are plain topped for this reason. I have knocked a few test cassettes up from angle aluminium. Each fiddle yard board may have to have a 15" piece cantelevered on the end as the boards are only 3' 6" long and I want to have enough for 2coaches plus loco. May actually have to have additional boards to be honest but then we start to get too big! When originally deigned the layout was supposed to have been able to have been transported in 2 cars hence the narrow width.

Paul R

Thanks Paul,

I had been thinking of using the cassette method but the loco's are so heavy I  would worry about dripping them although thinking about it I could just move then around on the board without to much lifting. My old club in the UK used this method on their club layout. I might email one of the members and ask for some pics.

My other idea is a 4 track traverser.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I will follow this with interest.

Just a thought but re the Class 45 Peak - you could always convert it to a Class 46 Peak (relatively minor changes) as these were much more common certainly around the Edinburgh/Haymarket areas as they ventured north from Gateshead which had a large allocation.

Good luck,

Deltic17

Thanks Deltic17,

I had thought about that but I only remember seeing a few class 46s and I do have a few pics of them but  my memories of the class 45s is much better, so for now it will stay as a class 45.

Posted before on another thread, but here is 45020 rolling through Edinburgh  on a rake of Turbot spoil wagons. My Peak will be numbered 45036 as it still had the centre headcodes until withdrawn in 87.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-20266000-1498380499_thumb.jpg

• Like 3