Holmes Road.

P.C.M

Pete, stop with the O gauge... It makes me think of the Dapol Jinty I saw in Sydney.... and the specials that are running around at the moment let alone the cheapy O gauge kits that I seem to see all the time... I cant do another layout.... :scratchhead:

Been very tempted with a Jinty myself, they are a good price at the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So nothing done to the layout recently but I have started to do bits to my class 20 and 25. I wasn't happy with the mold lines on the nose of the class 20 so I have filed them off  which means I need to repaint the yellow, I have also added a small panel on the cab end which some of the high numbered class 20s had. The class 25 is also in bits and I have glued on the small blanking plates and added the ploughs. Something I noticed while the body was off is the cab windows are not very flush, so I have cut them up into individual windows and filed round the edges to remove excess plastic   i pushed them back in and they now look alot better.

Cheers Peter.

20190211_210431.jpg

20190211_210444.jpg

20190211_210452.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 20/02/2019 at 09:26, nzscottish said:

Hello Peter,

Having lived in Scotland for several years your Holmes Road layout is very interesting as there were a few wee yards still accepting freight into the 90's.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter.

Thanks, Not much happening at the moment, I need to build the traverser for the layout and crack on with the class 20 and 25. 

Cheers Peter.

• 9 months later...

So things have been quite on the 7mm side of things recently. One reason is that I have been working on a loco shed for Llanbourne, which is nearly finished.

I had  a meeting here last month and set up Holmes Road with it's new traverser which  still needs some work but will do the job. After the meeting the layout was left set up and I ran it a few times but something wasn't really working for me. I only had two working loco's but the branchline idea does seem a bit far fetched for running what I want. I couldn't get my head round a running sequence that seemed plausible  I really should have thought all this through when I changed my mind last year. Another problem was I had extended a board, making it heavier even before the scenic work had started .

So the layout was put away and I spent a week or so running Llanbourne, and having a think about what I wanted to do with Holmes Road.

I had  been drawing trackplans and one thing kept coming up and that was a small shed and fuel point, not unlike what I first started with back on page one. So it seems I am back the where I stated but with an extra point the trackplan could have a bit more going on and more loco and wagon moves.

Last weekend the trackwork was removed and the new layout is taking shape. I will post up a few pics of the progress in a day or so.

Cheers Peter.

• Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, P.C.M said:

So things have been quite on the 7mm side of things recently. One reason is that I have been working on a loco shed for Llanbourne, which is nearly finished.

I had  a meeting here last month and set up Holmes Road with it's new traverser which  still needs some work but will do the job. After the meeting the layout was left set up and I ran it a few times but something wasn't really working for me. I only had two working loco's but the branchline idea does seem a bit far fetched for running what I want. I couldn't get my head round a running sequence that seemed plausible  I really should have thought all this through when I changed my mind last year. Another problem was I had extended a board, making it heavier even before the scenic work had started .

So the layout was put away and I spent a week or so running Llanbourne, and having a think about what I wanted to do with Holmes Road.

I had  been drawing trackplans and one thing kept coming up and that was a small shed and fuel point, not unlike what I first started with back on page one. So it seems I am back the where I stated but with an extra point the trackplan could have a bit more going on and more loco and wagon moves.

Last weekend the trackwork was removed and the new layout is taking shape. I will post up a few pics of the progress in a day or so.

Cheers Peter.

I know exactly how you feel Peter, Talyllyn is going the same way, I need more room and operationally it would be difficult.

Good luck with the changes.

Jinty ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Jinty.  I think your trackplan is pretty good as you have the station and small yard just the other side which allows for a few shining moves. But probably more suited to steam era. 

Here is where i am at. Two road shed marked out with blue tape and where the fuel point will be. Kick back siding for fuel tanks.

20191123_150728.jpg

20191123_150722.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter, It looks like your in exactly the same predicament I was in when I decided to do SMS as it's own Blue Period Layout. I marked out for the Heljan Shed in a similar way to you, then stood some boxes in the area and could not believe how much room it would take up. That's why I went back to 3 sidings and the Fuelling Point.

A big building like that looks the mutts nuts, but is very dominant.

On the other hand, I was looking at the Videos from Warley, and the is a Diesel O Gauge Layout on there with a Shed along the back, and that looks o.k.

Here' some pics of it at the Derby Show earlier in the year. and a video I've just found from Derby that come in at about 6 min 33 secs. Hope this helps.

IMG_7711.JPG.5926799e7644001bb96ed126cfabdc34.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG.8268b4ba93141393e2d3ff07d800dc0c.JPG

IMG_7705.JPG.6bdd58feddd7241de179a8f82245adf1.JPG

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Peter, It looks like your in exactly the same predicament I was in when I decided to do SMS as it's own Blue Period Layout. I marked out for the Heljan Shed in a similar way to you, then stood some boxes in the area and could not believe how much room it would take up. That's why I went back to 3 sidings and the Fuelling Point.

A big building like that looks the mutts nuts, but is very dominant.

On the other hand, I was looking at the Videos from Warley, and the is a Diesel O Gauge Layout on there with a Shed along the back, and that looks o.k.

Here' some pics of it at the Derby Show earlier in the year. and a video I've just found from Derby that come in at about 6 min 33 secs. Hope this helps.

IMG_7711.JPG.5926799e7644001bb96ed126cfabdc34.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG.8268b4ba93141393e2d3ff07d800dc0c.JPG

IMG_7705.JPG.6bdd58feddd7241de179a8f82245adf1.JPG

Hi Andy, Thanks for the pics and video, I have been looking at loco sheds and agree if I go to big it will look wrong. I just need to find a shed that looks right for north of the border. Current thinking is a sub shed to Motherwell  in the Mossend area.

Cheers Peter. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, 37114 said:

Tha latest Track plan looks good, will follow with interest. The 37 looks a beast,  I am looking forward to the new split box one coming out next year for Peasevern Yard...

Hi Rob,  I am really happy with the trackplan now just need time to crack on with it. The class 37 is a beast I already have an early release split box loco thats in bits and  will need some work. Current plan is the split box loco will be Motherwell based 37322  i just need to find out if Railtec do the Salmon transfers. 

I did notice you had started in 7mm i will be following your progress too.

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1

A little bit of work done on a few locos just before Christmas. And today while listening to the boxing day test.

First up I removed some unwanted moldings from the Heljan class 37s bogies and  added a Speedo cable and brake cylinder wires on the older model.

I also painted the wire conduit on my Dapol class 08 as it looked too light I also painted the lights blue. 

Cheers Peter.

20191226_144302.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Two locos now have their numbers both done using DRD rub transfers.

20223 was chosen as I had haulage on it back in 1986 from Haymarket to Edinburgh on a failed DMU. 25313 was one of the few class 25s i took a picture of and it was one of the last to survive into 1987.

Cheers Peter.

20200106_220659.jpg

20200106_220637.jpg

• Like 5

18 hours ago, deltic17 said:

Numbers look good

I hadn't heard of DRD before

I do think rub on transfers are the best

Good modelling

Thanks, Alex of Cavalex Models does them you tell him what number you want and he does them, you get a few spares in case you balls it up but get on better with rub on than waterslide plus no carrier film to try and hide.

Cheers Peter

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

I finished the body of 20223 today and I am pretty happy with how it has come out.

I did try and fit the body back on the chassis for a pic but it didn't want to go back on very easily so any tips would be great.

Cheers Peter.

20200216_225111.jpg

20200216_225044.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, 37114 said:

Love the worn paint on the handrails,  very effective. 

Thanks Rob, It seemed to be quite common on the class 25s. 

Cheers Peter.