Holmes Road.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Following along.  Those handrails do look the biz.  The larger scale allows more detail to be incorporated but also shows up anything missing or wrong all the more.  It looks good from here.

• RMweb Premium
On 29/02/2020 at 02:37, P.C.M said:

25313 done for now, when I get the air gun out next I might give the roof a light dusting.

Very effective. Does that mean this is all done without spraying so far or just that you might get it out again?

20 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Following along.  Those handrails do look the biz.  The larger scale allows more detail to be incorporated but also shows up anything missing or wrong all the more.  It looks good from here.

thanks Rick, Good job is a lot of the detail is on the model I just need to bring it out with the weathering.

Cheers Peter.

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Very effective. Does that mean this is all done without spraying so far or just that you might get it out again?

Thanks, All done with hand painting the weathering  but will get a slight blow over when I get the spray gun out.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, P.C.M said:

Thanks, All done with hand painting the weathering  but will get a slight blow over when I get the spray gun out.

Cheers Peter.

I was hoping you'd say that as I do mine by hand.

I presume the sides are done by applying thinned "gunk" and then mostly removing and look similar to mine. How have you done the roof - getting a convincing heavier build up is much harder to get convincing I find...

Thanks 

29 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I was hoping you'd say that as I do mine by hand.

I presume the sides are done by applying thinned "gunk" and then mostly removing and look similar to mine. How have you done the roof - getting a convincing heavier build up is much harder to get convincing I find...

Thanks 

Hi, yes the sides are done that way, though I don't cover the whole sides in gunk I leave some areas clean but yes I use the wipe off method. I find it hard to get the roofs right myself. I use a darker mix and basically paint it on and leave to dry, then a second  more thinned coat to give a bit of depth and try and wipe dab with cloth. I do an almost black area around the exhaust port too.

Cheers Peter.

• Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys looking for advise. I have hard wired a zimo mx645r imto my class 20 it runs and sonds fine i am just wonfering if i can dim down the lights a bit. Also with the blue and brown wire for the fan, can that be soldered to the spare brown function wire from the decoder with the blue going to the common. It would be good if the fan could be turned on and off.

20200321_131742.jpg

17 hours ago, 37114 said:

Lovely fleet you have there Peter, I know I have said it before but that class 25 looks the business.

Thanks Rob, The class 20 sounds pretty good. the other loco's need sound but the class 25 has a chip so does run. I need to crack on with the layout so I can run them.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Some progress on the layout. I have glued on some C&L fishplates and a Peco bufferstop I have also started the hardstanding which will go round the shed and made a start on ballasting.

Cheers Peter.

20200422_215338.jpg

• Like 9

On 25/11/2019 at 11:09, P.C.M said:

Hi Andy, Thanks for the pics and video, I have been looking at loco sheds and agree if I go to big it will look wrong. I just need to find a shed that looks right for north of the border. Current thinking is a sub shed to Motherwell  in the Mossend area.

Cheers Peter. 

On 25/11/2019 at 08:43, Andrew P said:

Hi Peter, It looks like your in exactly the same predicament I was in when I decided to do SMS as it's own Blue Period Layout. I marked out for the Heljan Shed in a similar way to you, then stood some boxes in the area and could not believe how much room it would take up. That's why I went back to 3 sidings and the Fuelling Point.

A big building like that looks the mutts nuts, but is very dominant.

On the other hand, I was looking at the Videos from Warley, and the is a Diesel O Gauge Layout on there with a Shed along the back, and that looks o.k.

Here' some pics of it at the Derby Show earlier in the year. and a video I've just found from Derby that come in at about 6 min 33 secs. Hope this helps.

IMG_7711.JPG.5926799e7644001bb96ed126cfabdc34.JPG

IMG_7712.JPG.8268b4ba93141393e2d3ff07d800dc0c.JPG

IMG_7705.JPG.6bdd58feddd7241de179a8f82245adf1.JPG

The shed was built by one of my friends for his layout Hyde lane, it is based on Healey Mills, if I remember correctly it’s a scale 80ft in length, we measured up the very similar Bachmann scenecraft 4mm model and this scales out at 80ft.

If you google search Hyde lane stabling point, there will be more pics, the layout will be featuring in Railway modeller this year.

cheers

Richard

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Richard Scott said:

The shed was built by one of my friends for his layout Hyde lane, it is based on Healey Mills, if I remember correctly it’s a scale 80ft in length, we measured up the very similar Bachmann scenecraft 4mm model and this scales out at 80ft.

If you google search Hyde lane stabling point, there will be more pics, the layout will be featuring in Railway modeller this year.

cheers

Richard

Thanks  Richard,

I will check it out. I found a nice video on YouTube. I have a shed to build but thinking a more modern type.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/06/2020 at 17:39, The Ghost of IKB II said:

Hi Peter, I wondered how you got on with wiring the 25, did you manage to sort out control of the lights and roof fan?  I'm about to attempt to fit the decoder from one of my SLW 24s after removing one of the motors, so I'm looking for tips before I bodge it completely.

Hi, Well I wired up the loco but being as the Heljan model has a seperate motor for the fan the Zimo decoder couldn't do it. I think a seperate decoder would need to be fitted or an XL decoder for 7mm loco's like the one  fitted to my class 45.

I dimmed the lights by using a CV but can't remember what number it was at the moment.

The SLW 24s don't as far as  i know have a seperate motor for the fan so I am not sure how you would do it, sorry.

Cheers Peter.

• Agree 1

Hi Peter,

Nice to see your layout coming on and stock increasing.

As far as the rotating fan is concerned, I've never been able to get it to behave successfully.

I've tried it in a few locos, but after a 'very' short while it hums and squeals sometimes. I've heard some tell of using a very large resistor to reduce the speed, but I can't honestly say I've had any luck at all!!! What I'm not saying is, that it can't be done, it's just my personal stance on it.

Regards

Jinty ;)

One day, Heljan might make locomotives that are genuinely dcc ready, user friendly and that dont require either heavy duty decoders or extensive head scratching rewiring.  

On a brighter note you're building up an attractive fleet of locos.  I suspect your oo fleet might be getting neglected now you've entered the world of big trains!

22 hours ago, Jintyman said:

Hi Peter,

Nice to see your layout coming on and stock increasing.

As far as the rotating fan is concerned, I've never been able to get it to behave successfully.

I've tried it in a few locos, but after a 'very' short while it hums and squeals sometimes. I've heard some tell of using a very large resistor to reduce the speed, but I can't honestly say I've had any luck at all!!! What I'm not saying is, that it can't be done, it's just my personal stance on it.

Regards

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty, 

I am getting the layout done but slowly, I now have a 20 and 25 with Zimo sound and I haven't missed the fan not working and as you say they do get noisy. My class 45 has an XL decoder and the fan can be turned on and off. So far it isn't noisy but I can turn it off if I need to. 

Always enjoy seeing your latest weathering work those class 37/4s look great. 

Cheers Peter.

17 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB II said:

One day, Heljan might make locomotives that are genuinely dcc ready, user friendly and that dont require either heavy duty decoders or extensive head scratching rewiring.  

On a brighter note you're building up an attractive fleet of locos.  I suspect your oo fleet might be getting neglected now you've entered the world of big trains!

I wont hold my breath. I have wired in a few decoders now so I am not too bothered that the Heljan are not plug and play though agree for the money they should be. 

One of the reasons for the slow progress on the 7mm is that the oo still gets plenty of time spent on it. I was running it the other day. One of the uncouplers failed so I replaced that plus I have a Lima / Hornby class 31 on the go. As for more stock I would like a few new Peaks and will be interested to see the new Heljan class 25. but as far as oo stock I need very little.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB II said:

I saw a note somewhere that they said there were no plug and play decoders that would suit the current draw of a 7mm loco and they didn't want a user putting an OO decoder in and burning it out. 

Certainly compared to the first diesels where there was no provision, at least they now include a circuit board so you can at least wire them in easily enough.

Their 05 and 03 diesels do come plug and play since they are suitable for an OO decoder

And I am not even into DCC!

Paul R

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Thats what we all say Pete!:laugh_mini2:

Hi Ian, Hope you are going ok.  I have been really good I haven't bought any oo gauge loco's in ages. Though a Heljan class 45 and 25 could be on the cards. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1