Holmes Road.

P.C.M

what did you use for the small step on yours?

I used a little nickel silver offcut, cut to size and I pushed rivet heads either side after tapping a hammer over it whilst holding it against a piece of knurled steel. It gives i slight look of checker!!!

Jinty ;)

I used a little nickel silver offcut, cut to size and I pushed rivet heads either side after tapping a hammer over it whilst holding it against a piece of knurled steel. It gives i slight look of checker!!!

Jinty ;)

Thanks Mate,

I might have something in the old bits box, I might also try PRMRP I think they still do detail bits.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I use guttering for my cassettes if you look on my thread Marleigh on page 7 and scoll down i have different lengths long one will take 31 plus 5 hoods.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that just had a look at your layout thread. Very nice too, great idea for the cassettes I think I need to have a play with some idea's 

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, I bought some rubber to go between baseboard and track and tried out a seciton with ballast. I was more noisy than ballast straight onto the boards. I am thinking I might try cork but I have read it does really make much difference sound wise. I don't really need a ballast shoulder  as Holmes road isn't a mainline. 

I am thinking I might just lay the track straight to the board. Any thoughts.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

My layout 'Filching Rd Yard' which you have seen at Caulfield is laid straight on the plywood board.  As it is a shunting layout and locos are only slow moving the sound is quiet enough.

I would think that for your size of layout it would be the same.  

My friend Adrian's layout is a 45' x about 16' roundy layout with 7-8 coach trains and about 15-20 wagons.  He has used the Woodland Scenics underlay.  I think that is rubber, possibly what you have used.  So when his Peppercorn A1 and Black 5 hurtle around it is quieter than if he did not have it.

I wouldn't bother.

You could always come to Stawell as I will have Filching Rd Yard there this weekend.

cheers

Mark

Hi Peter,

I have laid my track on a rubber mat, and to be honest I don't know why I bothered. If I was starting again I would fix the track direct to the baseboards, I would possibly use a thin section of cork if I was portraying the mainline but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Also as soon as you glue down the ballast it locks it all solid, so you loose any sound deadening you might of had.

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

The track on my Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp layouts is laid directly onto the plywood baseboard surfaces and is ballasted with granite and diluted pva glue. Movements on both layouts are at low speed so unwanted sound is rarely an issue.

Hi Peter,

My layout 'Filching Rd Yard' which you have seen at Caulfield is laid straight on the plywood board.  As it is a shunting layout and locos are only slow moving the sound is quiet enough.

I would think that for your size of layout it would be the same.  

My friend Adrian's layout is a 45' x about 16' roundy layout with 7-8 coach trains and about 15-20 wagons.  He has used the Woodland Scenics underlay.  I think that is rubber, possibly what you have used.  So when his Peppercorn A1 and Black 5 hurtle around it is quieter than if he did not have it.

I wouldn't bother.

You could always come to Stawell as I will have Filching Rd Yard there this weekend.

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Hope the exhibition goes well for you in Stawell, I think you are right about the noise on a smaller layout as trains are not going very fast. Also it will save me some money if I don't have to buy cork.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I have laid my track on a rubber mat, and to be honest I don't know why I bothered. If I was starting again I would fix the track direct to the baseboards, I would possibly use a thin section of cork if I was portraying the mainline but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Also as soon as you glue down the ballast it locks it all solid, so you loose any sound deadening you might of had.

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn,

My oo gauge layout Llanbourne has some rubber underlay on the newer section and I don't think its any different sound wise to the rest. As you say using granite ballast wouldn't help. I might just crack on and lay some track and see how I go.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

The track on my Cwm Bach and Tonfanau Camp layouts is laid directly onto the plywood baseboard surfaces and is ballasted with granite and diluted pva glue. Movements on both layouts are at low speed so unwanted sound is rarely an issue.

Hi Chris,

Thanks, I think my mind is made up and I will try laying some track straight to the ply. 

I will go a check out your layout too. 

Cheers Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of progress. I have laid a bit more track and I have had a go at improving the Peco point I have removed the cover so now need to replace the missing sleepers.

I am thinking of making the points work by wire in tube or something like that rather than using point motors.

I have also made a start on an old Lime 16t mineral wagon. I have moved the brake gear in line with the wheels and thinned things down a bit.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-64865400-1500895225_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-89778800-1500895263_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-59572500-1500895290_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

About time for an update me thinks.

I have done a bit more on a couple of 16t minerals. Still more to do before painting though. 

I have had a re think on the trackplan so changed things around a bit and I think it looks a lot better.   The hole at one is the space for the traverser  anothe 2ft board will be added to make a 4ft traverser all up I still need to work out how I am going to do this and how to wire for DCC as I haven't done this before. The blue tape is where the pit will be, these two roads will have part of a loco shed over them.

Another wagon has also been added to the small fleet. A Heljan VAA. I have removed one air pipe as I think most VAA only had the one. I didn't like how the bufferbeam drooped and it was very well attached so I cleaned things up a bit and glued it on which seems to have improved it a bit.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-88015200-1506413505_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-17194400-1506413632_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-75861200-1506413676_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-84675100-1506413730_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-90308100-1506413790_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

Will be interested to see how Holmes Road develops.

I've (so far) got the Dapol 08, a standard 20t Brake and, in my head, a track plan similar to Holmes Road, although no plans to run anything bigger than a 25 or 26. Good luck with the new layout. I'll be following and looking for inspiration.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Peter

Will be interested to see how Holmes Road develops.

I've (so far) got the Dapol 08, a standard 20t Brake and, in my head, a track plan similar to Holmes Road, although no plans to run anything bigger than a 25 or 26. Good luck with the new layout. I'll be following and looking for inspiration.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,

That's a big step 2mm to 7mm. Are you still building your new 2mm layout? Or is the 7mm going to take over. lol

Nothing much happening with Holmes Road at the moment is been stuck outside under the roof for a few months now and I keep thinking I should finish off the woodwork and start wiring but I have been spending time on Llanbourne recently so the 7mm  comes second.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I couldn't resist the 08. At £165 I thought it would be my one chance to own a 0 gauge loco and I picked up the brake at the same time s ordering some other stuff from Slaters. At some time in the next 2-3 years I'll probably build a small layout. Thinking about a small run down Scottish goods yard c1979-80 - three sidings and a short headshunt.

For now I've still got plenty of work to do on the new n gauge layout. Unfortunately I'm far from happy with how it's progressed... too many U turns, changes of plan or being in too much of a hurry to get the work done. The latest has been a change of location from the Calder Valley to the area around Fife in Scotland!

....then there are some excellent diesel layouts on RMweb which could so easily tempt me back 00. :)   

Following Holmes Road so I'll quickly catch up with any future posts while, for now, continuing to enjoy the excellent photos and videos of Llanbourne.

Regards

Alan

I don't blame you Alan, I am saving for an 08 myself. I am in no hurry with Holmes Road I am just glad I have made a start. I still have things that need to be finished on Llanbourne but I can do a bit of 7mm stuff now and then when I feel like it. 

If you start a thread on the new layout you might get some help with the trackplan. 

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I don't blame you Alan, I am saving for an 08 myself. I am in no hurry with Holmes Road I am just glad I have made a start. I still have things that need to be finished on Llanbourne but I can do a bit of 7mm stuff now and then when I feel like it. 

If you start a thread on the new layout you might get some help with the trackplan. 

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter.. though I should probably get a thread for the new n gauge layout started first :)

The 0 gauge layout can only be a fan of 3 sidings with one kick back-similar to your plan. The fiddle yard will have to be a traverser which I've never built before. so I'll be interested to see your work.

The VAA looks good, hopefully I'll be able to afford one at some point -also wish I'd bought 2-3 of those 16t minerals when they were available.

Alan

Thanks Peter.. though I should probably get a thread for the new n gauge layout started first :)

The 0 gauge layout can only be a fan of 3 sidings with one kick back-similar to your plan. The fiddle yard will have to be a traverser which I've never built before. so I'll be interested to see your work.

The VAA looks good, hopefully I'll be able to afford one at some point -also wish I'd bought 2-3 of those 16t minerals when they were available.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Sorry it was your N gauge I was talking about, it seems you have the 7mm fairly well sorted in your head. It's the traverser and how i want to do it that's holding me up at the moment as I am not sure how to go about it. 

The 16t minerals are Lima I am sure you will see them now and then at shows.  

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Sorry about the confusion... definitely not a lot of options when it comes to the 0 gauge track plan, while the n gauge layout continues to be a work in progress-and still without a name... dare I promise the start of a new thread next week ?? 

We were at the Newcastle Model Railway Show at the weekend and ended up spending much of the time talking to the owner of a small 0 gauge layout called East Dock. It's a small mpd running an 08, 31, 37s and a 40 based in the north east c1979-80. It was a very enjoyable and informative talk about fitting sound to 0 gauge diesels, installing and using DCC, and various weathering techniques for larger locos.

We agreed that with 0 gauge, sound is a must, so it looks like any future 0 gauge layout just got a lot more expensive..

Cheers

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Sorry about the confusion... definitely not a lot of options when it comes to the 0 gauge track plan, while the n gauge layout continues to be a work in progress-and still without a name... dare I promise the start of a new thread next week ?? 

We were at the Newcastle Model Railway Show at the weekend and ended up spending much of the time talking to the owner of a small 0 gauge layout called East Dock. It's a small mpd running an 08, 31, 37s and a 40 based in the north east c1979-80. It was a very enjoyable and informative talk about fitting sound to 0 gauge diesels, installing and using DCC, and various weathering techniques for larger locos.

We agreed that with 0 gauge, sound is a must, so it looks like any future 0 gauge layout just got a lot more expensive..

Cheers

Alan

Sorry for late reply Alan,

I will have to look out for pics of East Dock sounds interesting.  Sound does get better with the bigger size of speaker, but the expense is big. I don't plan on having too many loco's but will fit sound eventually.

Cheers Peter.

No progress on the layout but I have painted and fitted a Modelu driver to the Peak and made up some headcodes with white dots, I also made up some battery box clips that where fitted later at some point.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-71298100-1511957634_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-70879600-1511957709_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Peter, just catching up again, I'm always slow off the blocks, some nice Stock there as well.

Thanks Andy, Painfully slow progress at the moment unlike your good self. Hopefully I will get more done on the peak this week, and some more done on the layout over Christmas.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone.

Still no work on the layout though I have moved it into the garage and hopefully will set up a board this week to start some wiring although I still have another board to build.

I have almost finished my Peak though. decals are DRD  Thanks Alex they went on a treat. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-23292700-1514861595_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-86542900-1514861690_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-04563200-1514861731_thumb.jpg

• Like 12