Holmes Road.

P.C.M

So I have been having a re think on this and decided to rip up the track. The trackplan and how I wanted to do the scenics just wasn't working for me.

Over the weekend I was thinking back to my 00 gauge exhibition layout idea, which used Carron Road as inspiration. It got me thinking, could I do it in 7mm. 

well the answer is no, but I wasn't far off. I would have to extend all the boards and operate from behind which is something I was trying not to have to do. Pics show how I went outside the other day.

I had a play with some idea's last night and if I extend one board by one foot and rebuild the traverser I can make better use of the space and do a small terminus. I will post up pics later.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-98304900-1536240365_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-66808600-1536240420_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-58259600-1536240514_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-59594000-1536240592_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

So I have been having a re think on this and decided to rip up the track. The trackplan and how I wanted to do the scenics just wasn't working for me.

Over the weekend I was thinking back to my 00 gauge exhibition layout idea, which used Carron Road as inspiration. It got me thinking, could I do it in 7mm. 

well the answer is no, but I wasn't far off. I would have to extend all the boards and operate from behind which is something I was trying not to have to do. Pics show how I went outside the other day.

I had a play with some idea's last night and if I extend one board by one foot and rebuild the traverser I can make better use of the space and do a small terminus. I will post up pics later.

Cheers Peter.

I did like Carron Road and it's principal, simple and effective, yes big in O Gauge, but a nice concept.

I think I still have the Articles in my inspiration folder, all in black and white of course in those days, and not sharp images, but nice all the same.

I'm sure you will make a cracking job of it Peter, and I look forward to more pics soon.

I did like Carron Road and it's principal, simple and effective, yes big in O Gauge, but a nice concept.

I think I still have the Articles in my inspiration folder, all in black and white of course in those days, and not sharp images, but nice all the same.

I'm sure you will make a cracking job of it Peter, and I look forward to more pics soon.

Hi Andy,

I have two articles on Carron Road one from MRJ and the other with a few colour pics in a Modelrail supplement.  The current plan pics below is similar to Carron Road but using a traverser  actually some inspiration from your 7mm layout Andy with siding over the back.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-0-87360800-1536319895_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-87876200-1536319935_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-39689800-1536319970_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but what sort of points are you using?

Do your locos with longer wheelbases run smoothly over them ok?

Thanks, Matt

Hi Matt, My points are Peco and my class 45 and 26 run through them ok. The wagons drop into the frog a bit but I have bought some Parliamentary Trains Drop stop. See previous page.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Drop stops work really well, both on Steam and Diesels, the only problem I've have is with the Lima 33, but that is ONLY down to the wheels and not the Drop Stops.

My copies from Carron Rd are the Model Rail ones as well Peter. 

I will send a PM re SMS.

Edited by Andrew P

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been laying track this week and I must say I am really happy with this, more so than the last two attempts.

I extended one board to 5ft and the second board has had a slight angle added to one end so I could start a curve for the entrance to what will be a new 5 ft traverser.

Next is to tidy up and start wiring. I will need to work out where to put a few ground signals too and hopefully I can fit a signalbox between the bay platform track and main line.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-67470600-1537576400_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-02570900-1537576427_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Morning Peter, That's looking very good, and I like the nice gentle curve, to it so looks more prototypical.

Thanks Andy,

I replaced the missing sleepers today and soldered in most of the droppers.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

So I have attached the station trackplan and the track that is imagined to be off scene. I have added a starting signal and one ground signal for running round but any help on where the other signals might be would be great, and does the point opposite the signalbox need to be a hand point. I would say the one leading to the Fuel point would be as its in the yard.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-77335500-1537782210_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 4

Hi Peter
I'm continuing to follow Holmes  Road and always looking for ideas I can "borrow" for an 0 gauge layout. I'll probably be limited to a shunting plank with 3 sidings but it's interesting to see how adding a couple of feet to a basic layout greatly increases operating potential.

Looking at your latest plan... just a thought - Why not extend the platform towards the overbridge leaving enough room to fit the the signal box between the end of the platform ramp and the bridge? 

Cheers

Alan

Hi Peter

I'm continuing to follow Holmes  Road and always looking for ideas I can "borrow" for an 0 gauge layout. I'll probably be limited to a shunting plank with 3 sidings but it's interesting to see how adding a couple of feet to a basic layout greatly increases operating potential.

Looking at your latest plan... just a thought - Why not extend the platform towards the overbridge leaving enough room to fit the the signal box between the end of the platform ramp and the bridge? 

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, 

Good to hear from you. Adding 1ft to the main board has really helped, as It gave me enough room to add the crossover for run rounds and room for a headshunt long enough for a class 37. 

My drawing isn't the best but yes the platform will come up further with the signalbox off the end of the platform.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Two boards now wired up and tested ok apart from one point motor being very noisy which I replaced with a spare, then a dead frog which the class 08 didn't like. I thought it might be the point motor but it was the wire from under the point, so I soldered on a new wire and all good.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 1

Thanks Andy,

Improving the points was one of the first things i did. Yesterday I relaid the bay platform siding. It's now further back and gives a bit more room for a signalbox and platform. I am modelling it as out of use as a bay platform siding with the far end removed, but still in use to unload wagons. 

The pic below should explain things better, though is before I moved the track further back.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-71293200-1540077959_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

So I had some success today, I removed a motor from my class 26 and hard wired in a V3.5 decoder with class 26 sound. it tested ok but the lights don't work in one direction so I may have done something wrong.

Next on the workbench was my new class 25. I removed one motor and circuit board and tried to wire in an 8 to 21 pin harness I plugged in a V3.5 decoder and hard wired the speaker to 9 and 10 pins. Now it's possible I have stuffed this up but the speaker just make a hissing humming noise with no loco sound coming out. If I removed the speaker the loco runs and lights work. 

Any info on what I should do would be great.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-36271200-1542537602_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-94548100-1542537650_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-31785100-1542537759_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So I had some success today, I removed a motor from my class 26 and hard wired in a V3.5 decoder with class 26 sound. it tested ok but the lights don't work in one direction so I may have done something wrong.

Next on the workbench was my new class 25. I removed one motor and circuit board and tried to wire in an 8 to 21 pin harness I plugged in a V3.5 decoder and hard wired the speaker to 9 and 10 pins. Now it's possible I have stuffed this up but the speaker just make a hissing humming noise with no loco sound coming out. If I removed the speaker the loco runs and lights work. 

Any info on what I should do would be great.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I can't help you with regards to the problem you have with the speaker, but to ask one question, are you sure that the decoder is a V3.5, as if it is a V4 they only work on 4 - 8ohms and the V3.5 works with 100ohms.

What I am posting about is the fact that I did the 'one motor' trick on a class 25 but I had to remove the transfer gears from the dead bogie as they made the running a bit jerky, maybe there is a bit of tension running backwards up from the wheelsets.

Regards

Jinty ;)

Hi Peter,

I can't help you with regards to the problem you have with the speaker, but to ask one question, are you sure that the decoder is a V3.5, as if it is a V4 they only work on 4 - 8ohms and the V3.5 works with 100ohms.

What I am posting about is the fact that I did the 'one motor' trick on a class 25 but I had to remove the transfer gears from the dead bogie as they made the running a bit jerky, maybe there is a bit of tension running backwards up from the wheelsets.

Regards

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

The decoder is v3.5 and it is the correct speaker. I am wondering if the wire harness isn't doing the job or I have wired the speaker to the wrong terminals.

The loco runs fine with the one power bogie as does the class 26.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I set up the layout outside the other day and had a play with the class 26 and class 25 which i have put a non sound decoder in for the time being. My friend ran his Minerva Pannier too. I still need to build the traverser but it was good to have a play.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-03722700-1543141865_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-06793900-1543141913_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-04441300-1543141978_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Really looking excellent Peter, I love that 26 as well, now on my shopping list.

Jintyman is doing the Sound etc in my 25/3 so also looking forward to getting that.

Your Stataion area look really nice, and I'm ooking forward to seeing how you develope it.

All the best.

Really looking excellent Peter, I love that 26 as well, now on my shopping list.

Jintyman is doing the Sound etc in my 25/3 so also looking forward to getting that.

Your Stataion area look really nice, and I'm ooking forward to seeing how you develope it.

All the best.

Thanks Andy, I have plans for the class 26 but it will still blue for now. I will repaint it railfreight Grey at some point but I have a class 37 to do first. I think I will get an 8 pin ESU chip for the 25 I like the biffo sound, not sure what speaker would be best though.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 4

Pete, stop with the O gauge... It makes me think of the Dapol Jinty I saw in Sydney.... and the specials that are running around at the moment let alone the cheapy O gauge kits that I seem to see all the time... I cant do another layout.... :scratchhead: