A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Dewerstone

Dewerstone

A 4mm scale EM gauge layout. The layout is set on the GW Tavistock branch at around the 1930s date.

Layout size 2400 x 750 mm plus fiddleyards etc.

Phil and I had one or two discussions on what to do for the challenge, Phil said there used to be a clay dry at Shaugh Bridge which used to take it's clay up to Shaugh Platform by horse and cart, why don't we make it rail connected, but we will leave the mainline above the river at the front and put the dry a bit lower so that you have too look down at it a bit. OK said I, go away and Templot it. Phil was back within a couple of hours with the first incarnation, it wasn't to bad, but we thought it lacked a little operationally, well said Phil there was a mill a bit further down stream I'll put a siding in for that, we might have too use Slartibartfasts powers and do a bit of Terra forming too make it fit. Phil did and to save confusion we would call the Layout "Dewerstone", which is a local land mark a little further up stream.

Further up dates and a track plan when I can add attachments.

Steve

Edited by doddger10
  • Like 3

As it happens  my relatives worked the old Shaugh Mill for Lord Roborough, the Lord of the Manor at the time you mention.  There was a clay dry near Shaugh Bridge which I knew very well as I played there with a boy of my age who lived there with relatives.  The East end had a small living space attached where they all lived.  AFAIK, nothing moved by rail at that time and before.  There were settling ponds up the hill and a track connected the area from the Mill which is still there and which passes property still owned by relatives by the 'new cut' road connecting the bridge with the village.  Prior that the old road ran in a different direction via the old iron mines and thence from the Mill to a weighbridge near the bridge over the river.

Before the Halt was there, a siding was in its place serving iron ore which was carted in from the Dewerstone  railway tracks which never connected to the station.  1930 may be a bit too late but modelers licnce, etc......................

Brian.

Edited by brianusa

Brian

Phil said that there were some pictures of the dry whilst it was still working, on the web, but which he is unable to find now. Do you know of any photos which show the dry with the cottage attached to the end as it would help us to get the right feel and also makes it stand out from the usual dry.

Thanks

Steve.

Ok a little more info. This is my first EM gauge layout and so I will be sourcing appropriate stock, mostly kits for the layout. Phil has some unbuilt kits and has started to build a rake of Parkside China Clay wagons, he also has a pair of Plymouth Auto trail sets, that he intends to build to help the project along.

Here is the track plan.

post-19485-0-79854800-1498218055_thumb.png

The Tavistock branch is to the front and will be on an embankment at the Plymouth end crossing both the freight only line and the Plym to enter Shaugh tunnel on the left, it is our intention to mostly operate this as an auto train shuttle, to give interest whilst nothing is happening in the goods yard. Phil has included a halt which may or may not get included and if it is then it's position is open to change.

The buildings are only a guide to location at this time and are in no way accurate.

Here is a link to photos of what exists today, the cottage was at the right hand end as mentioned by Brian earlier.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shaugh+bridge+china+clay+dry&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiS8fa-8tPUAhVqLcAKHVSHB00QsAQIJw&biw=1280&bih=612&dpr=1.5

Steve

Edit. To add the link.

Edited by doddger10
  • Like 2

I presume you have read the Book of Shaugh Parish, now OOP but available for silly prices.  Other than that, sorry can't be of much help.  However, if you can stand some critique of your plan, it would be better if the dry and the mill were reversed.  The river flows from the tunnel end with the dry on the left and the leat flows from just past the bridge to the water wheel at the Mill, if this is important.  Incidentally, the railway stayed on the same side and not crossing the river in this area but modellers licence wins!

Interesting project!

Brian.

I presume you have read the Book of Shaugh Parish, now OOP but available for silly prices.  Other than that, sorry can't be of much help.  However, if you can stand some critique of your plan, it would be better if the dry and the mill were reversed.  The river flows from the tunnel end with the dry on the left and the leat flows from just past the bridge to the water wheel at the Mill, if this is important.  Incidentally, the railway stayed on the same side and not crossing the river in this area but modellers licence wins!

Interesting project!

Brian.

Sorry Brian

The delay in replying is due to my involvement with the Plymouth show, this last weekend and having guests staying in connection with that.

I don't have the book, I didn't even know it existed. Yes we know that things are not in their geographically correct places, hence my comment that Phil had to do some Terra-reforming too suit our purposes, the mill was an after thought and was put where it fitted in best. 

We are only building this for the challenge and a bit of light relief, it was never our intention to be prototypically or historically correct, hence the use of the name "Dewerstone", just to give a sense of place for those that know West Dartmoor.

Steve.

• Like 3

Following Brian's advice I have just had a copy of The Book of Shaugh Parish, it's a Shaugh thing, delivered from Amazon, £20. I have just had a quick flick through it and there are a couple of useful photo's of the clay dry and the mill.

Thanks Brian for the tip on the book.

This will probably be my last post for a bit as I am due to have an operation on my Left hand on Friday and I won't be able to use it until it comes out of plater in 8 weeks time and yes I am left handed too boot, so it will be a right sorry left pain in the ****.

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve about the info on 'the' book from Amazon UK.  I finally bought one for my self as I have bought four already for friends and relatives but never until now for myself.  The prices I've seen put me off but I'm glad to have finally got it.

Brian.

• 1 month later...

OK, now for an update, the plaster has finally come off and I can start to think about getting on with the project. Phil has spent a few days re jigging the track plan since the goal posts were shifted, his first response was, well we'll make it 30 inches long and 8 foot deep, but then he thought it might be a bit difficult to operate as we both have trouble with judging where we would need to couple and uncouple during shunting. So here is the revised plan to fit the 2Metre criteria.

post-19485-0-06037200-1502976229_thumb.png

Phil has also been building a few clay wagons and has also started to build Dia P & Q auto trailers from Worsley Works etches, there has been a lot of foul language and progress has not been swift, he hopes that they will be complete by the time the layout is ready.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi All

I have bitten the bullet and started cutting wood, well ply to be pedantic. The ply is 5mm thick and will have an additional  thickness added on the inside of the ends where the two boards abut each other and will have square section 18mm timber added to reinforce the corners.

post-19485-0-39391600-1508938388_thumb.jpg

post-19485-0-00768100-1508938400_thumb.jpg

post-19485-0-04625000-1508938413_thumb.jpg

The sections of ply are only placed in position until I get the 18mm timber.

post-19485-0-06452100-1508938423_thumb.jpg

The track plan placed on he ply for planning purposes.

Thanks to Phil for resizing the photos for posting. Whilst on the subject of Phil, he continues to swear at bits of brass that will hopefully one day form Diag Q & R auto trailers.

Steve

• Like 4

OK

Here are a couple of photos of the 2nd board, part of which will have some of the fiddleyard on it.

post-19485-0-55235000-1509190271_thumb.jpg

All clamped up

post-19485-0-63565700-1509190282_thumb.jpg

And without the clamps

post-19485-0-15027700-1509190293_thumb.jpg

And finally one with both boards posed together.

I am just awaiting the delivery of some more ply so that I can cut the trackbeds.

Steve.

• Like 3

Due to a measuring error, when I tried to get the boards in the back of the car, there was a little bit of bad language, when I realised that the 2nd board would not fit through the door once I had managed to get the first board in. I now have to reduce the width and the height of the backscene, fortunately I had not cut the trackbed. I have got Phil on the case redoing the Templot templates yet again. The language from him was very colourful I can tell you, when I rang him up to tell him, I certainly couldn't put it on here except as !"£$ $%^& etc. etc. I know that boilermakers could swear, but that was something else.

I have made the legs, as a consolation. Photo's to follow.

Steve

Hi All

I have been trying to post Phil's revised track plan, but I seem to be failing miserably, it would appear that this trainset is jinxed, at least at the moment. Photos have been taken, but so far I have not been able to give them to Phil.