Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Dare I say this should be suitable attire for some on significant announcement days and at major shows. The followers of a particular railway may need to don them tomorrow for an announcement. I can't tell you which yet. :biggrin_mini2:

You're enjoying this, aren't you, Andy!:nono:

58 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

GWR  Railcar Nos 35 & 36. Also, car No 18.

No.18 was the Newport Divison spare in the early 50s, so might well have turned up at Cwmdimbath had there been a real station there; it certainly appeared at Cowbridge.  It would therefore be an addistion to my shopping list!

It is already avaialable as a 3D print bodyshell form someone on the Shapeways site btw...

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

I just can’t resist. Who is going to announce? Not Bachmann; announcements made. Not Hornby; saving for the annual fest. Not Heljan; too busy. Not Dapol; ditto. Not Accurascale; not ready yet. Rapido. Bill is a GWR man. What GWR loco is missing? It’s a Saint!

Have your AA guns aimed at me tomorrow!

What makes you assume it's got wheels.;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

You mean to say there IS actually life beyond the arrival of the sacred Hawksworth Pannier ? :jester:

Maybe it's time to put a Ccollettar on :)   Or perhaps one could say 'and then there were two?  But two what - cylinders, railway companies, announcements?  I wonder?    Maybe Johnster will drown in froth - but then maybe he won't as the Valleys were a special place where two usually meant something quite different although Tondu was even more different.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

That would be ok.  The Amalgamated Society of Midland and South Western Junction Railway Enthusiasts, Including Followers of its Antecedent and Successor Companies and Incorporating The Ogbournes Railway Study Group generally has more initials than members and they'll probably just have a quiet pint in the Patriot's Arms.

Just for a moment I thought that "Ogbournes Railway Study Group" was a real thing. :)

Here's the closest I can find: https://www.osahg.org.uk/railway.html

Is that a pint at the Patriot's Arms in Chiseldon?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

254239247_WP_20201027_18_47_04_Pro(2).jpg.c6fbbe651115b1040b250f3dd08f1602.jpg1443994823_WP_20201027_18_49_45_Pro(2).jpg.2267b7cd55dc4ad71d10b52cc31149f0.jpg

FWIW yet another LimBach conversion, like adb's only dating back to 2018 in full awareness of Bachmann's full-fat version approaching........at some point, although the plates and logos (my preference, could be the wrong ones for 1961) only went on within the past month! Bits of an ancient Airfix J94 kit in the cab and tanks full of lead. It still needs a touch-up, varnish and glazing. I declined to carve off 20 moulded handrails and drill 36 holes in an all-black loco - I can live with it, and the incorrect bunker steps on this side, as this Truro-allocated engine will work alongside D3509 (ex-Bachmann 13365) which itself has one too many vacuum exhauster boxes - I'll just run both the 'right way round' and sleep easy.

Well, it's a 94xx and, er, half Bachmann, including the sprung buffers. Not a bad effort for a diesel modeller with a limited steam budget??

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe it's time to put a Ccollettar on :)   Or perhaps one could say 'and then there were two?  But two what - cylinders, railway companies, announcements?  I wonder?    Maybe Johnster will drown in froth - but then maybe he won't as the Valleys were a special place where two usually meant something quite different although Tondu was even more different.

You are a terrible tease........you keep adding fuel to this flickering flame. I am guessing this is related to the gazzumping hints of last week? I suspect there are a load of subtle clues in this post but sadly I am not clever enought to decode them....perhaps others will try?

Meantime...tomorrow is only another day.

Intrigued in Vancouver

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, john dew said:

You are a terrible tease........you keep adding fuel to this flickering flame. I am guessing this is related to the gazzumping hints of last week? I suspect there are a load of subtle clues in this post but sadly I am not clever enought to decode them....perhaps others will try?

Meantime...tomorrow is only another day.

Intrigued in Vancouver

What would RMweb be without the occasional puzzle.  Maybe Andy could present the announcement as a jigsaw to provide an illustrated puzzle:jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Just for a moment I thought that "Ogbournes Railway Study Group" was a real thing. :)

Here's the closest I can find: https://www.osahg.org.uk/railway.html

Is that a pint at the Patriot's Arms in Chiseldon?

Seems it almost is - pure coincidence I assure you.  Yes the Patriot's Arms in Chiseldon.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

254239247_WP_20201027_18_47_04_Pro(2).jpg.c6fbbe651115b1040b250f3dd08f1602.jpg1443994823_WP_20201027_18_49_45_Pro(2).jpg.2267b7cd55dc4ad71d10b52cc31149f0.jpg

FWIW yet another LimBach conversion, like adb's only dating back to 2018 in full awareness of Bachmann's full-fat version approaching........at some point, although the plates and logos (my preference, could be the wrong ones for 1961) only went on within the past month! Bits of an ancient Airfix J94 kit in the cab and tanks full of lead. It still needs a touch-up, varnish and glazing. I declined to carve off 20 moulded handrails and drill 36 holes in an all-black loco - I can live with it, and the incorrect bunker steps on this side, as this Truro-allocated engine will work alongside D3509 (ex-Bachmann 13365) which itself has one too many vacuum exhauster boxes - I'll just run both the 'right way round' and sleep easy.

Well, it's a 94xx and, er, half Bachmann, including the sprung buffers. Not a bad effort for a diesel modeller with a limited steam budget??

Since we’re showing our Limbachs, here’s my 8448 with the fireman not doing much, caught in the act of a shunting movement at Cwmdimbath.  You did a better job of the bunker rear hooks than I did, hence the front ¾ view!  I hadn’t put the numberplates on when I took this photo; these will be transferred to the new loco.  

Cost; body gift from Tomparryharry of this parish, chassis from £45 57xx ‘Bay donor which will get it’s chassis and buffers back and go into service when the Bachmann model arrives, so redacted at that time, numberplates from modelmaster £6.49 and postage, also redacted for use on new model.  I’ve had over 2 years of service from this loco and the mech will continue with its original 57xx body, number as yet undecided.  

From this angle with this cast of shadow the incorrect (for the non-superheated contractor built locos, 9410-3409, delivered postnationalisation) cover plate over the valve chest is not too obvious; of all the compromises of the Limbach, this one bothers me the most.  The BR liveried Bachmanns rectify this feature, common to all previous RTR and kit 4mm 94xx and suitable only for the first 10 GW built locos.  No doubt B will release a BR liveried example of one of these in time.  

28C2D2C5-93A7-43A2-944B-FC79D10B3D5C.jpeg

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You're enjoying this, aren't you, Andy!:nono:

No.18 was the Newport Divison spare in the early 50s, so might well have turned up at Cwmdimbath had there been a real station there; it certainly appeared at Cowbridge.  It would therefore be an addistion to my shopping list!

It is already avaialable as a 3D print bodyshell form someone on the Shapeways site btw...

No 18? Yes indeed. I'll be looking for one of these in the future, but I need to finish some of the other work first. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

How about a second mogul, both gazumpting the other mogul due imminently in shops, but of the 93xx series so with a Collett cab put on?

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They cant all be sacred :)

Hawksworth was a copy cat after all.

Do you blame him? Surely it's cheaper to copy things and make suitable amendments than it is to design something completely new?

Wouldn't mind a 15xx.

• Like 2