Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

It was a shame. But they weren't in good condition. The SVR took most of the salvageable bits.

The biggest shame was that only one of the 94XXs that ended up at Woodhams survived the end of scrapping locos* in 1965. Eighteen of them were scrapped. Just pure bad luck as engines that had been there far longer survived.

Also a few 54XX/64XX/74XXs and two 1366s. Loads of Moguls as well.

I know you can't save everything, but some of those are very useful designs for heritage railways.

*A handful of locomotives were scrapped subsequently, but it mostly finished. Wagons were more profitable.

Jason

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Since we’re showing our Limbachs, here’s my 8448 with the fireman not doing much, caught in the act of a shunting movement at Cwmdimbath.  You did a better job of the bunker rear hooks than I did, hence the front ¾ view!  I hadn’t put the numberplates on when I took this photo; these will be transferred to the new loco.  

Cost; body gift from Tomparryharry of this parish, chassis from £45 57xx ‘Bay donor which will get it’s chassis and buffers back and go into service when the Bachmann model arrives, so redacted at that time, numberplates from modelmaster £6.49 and postage, also redacted for use on new model.  I’ve had over 2 years of service from this loco and the mech will continue with its original 57xx body, number as yet undecided.  

From this angle with this cast of shadow the incorrect (for the non-superheated contractor built locos, 9410-3409, delivered postnationalisation) cover plate over the valve chest is not too obvious; of all the compromises of the Limbach, this one bothers me the most.  The BR liveried Bachmanns rectify this feature, common to all previous RTR and kit 4mm 94xx and suitable only for the first 10 GW built locos.  No doubt B will release a BR liveried example of one of these in time.  

28C2D2C5-93A7-43A2-944B-FC79D10B3D5C.jpeg

The bunker hooks are staples bent to the very stylised shape on these locos, I didn't remove Lima's moulded lumps because I didn't want to have to repaint it as it was in good nick. The three rear bunker steps were fashioned from Shawplan etched Class 50 roof catwalk support frames from the spares box, perfect for the job, they even have the drain holes in them (Class 50 parts in a 94xx, whatever next?!) I managed to remove that angled cover plate by opening this up while the body and footplate parts were still separate - very useful feature, I only glued the two parts together right at the end. I formed a whistle shield from brass (fiddly) and replaced Lima's punched steel handrail 'knobs' with split pins. The couplings on this longer-than-a-57xx loco baffled me for a while, then the penny dropped - splint two NEM pockets together and use the original 57xx chassis sockets! You can see this in the pics. The couplings themselves have to be glued into the outer pockets with this arrangement.

Costs of mine.......well, the chassis donor cost £36 brand new in 2003. Bargain. The mint Lima 94xx was £35 from Hattons in 2017. Not a bargain, I should have consulted Ebay or waited for a rummage at a show. Ho hum. Got a few quid back on the left-over 57xx body and 94xx chassis though.

Your picture reminds me how a crew figure in a natural pose can transform a model. I must look into that......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I just can’t resist. Who is going to announce? Not Bachmann; announcements made. Not Hornby; saving for the annual fest. Not Heljan; too busy. Not Dapol; ditto. Not Accurascale; not ready yet. Rapido. Bill is a GWR man. What GWR loco is missing? It’s a Saint!

Have your AA guns aimed at me tomorrow!

Not Rapido.

They just said on the livestream the announcement will be in "a few weeks".

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not Rapido.

They just said on the livestream the announcement will be in "a few weeks".

Ack.

So it’s Locomotion/Rails of Sheffield. I never was much good at prediction. Announcement at noon.

It won’t be a Saint either, I suppose, because there isn’t one in the National Collection.

Edited by No Decorum
Information update & more speculation.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Locomotion/Rails/Bachmann, in fact.

"... New ready to run locomotive. This model has never previously been available in ready to run form in OO Scale."

The Great Bear?

If Locomotion is involved, doesn’t the original have to be in the National Collection?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

If Locomotion is involved, doesn’t the original have to be in the National Collection?

Good point.

So what is in the NC that involves Collett (Mike's clue) that has never been available RTR?

Never mind. We'll find out in 2 hours. (Note to self: Don't get pulled into the froth.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Rather than what it is, I’ll be interested to see whether it already available (or about to be) in line with all recent Bachmann announcements, or a more traditional announcement of a forthcoming model under development. If it wasn’t for Mike’s Collett hint, if the former I wondered about the NRMs 2-HAP as the catalogue models are about to arrive.

Oops we’re getting a bit of topic,

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Rather than what it is, I’ll be interested to see whether it already available (or about to be) in line with all recent Bachmann announcements, or a more traditional announcement of a forthcoming model under development. If it wasn’t for Mike’s Collett hint, if the former I wondered about the NRMs 2-HAP as the catalogue models are about to arrive.

Oops we’re getting a bit of topic,

From the information provided, its never been available RTR before. Which rules out such things. The announcement of this in the 94xx thread is unusual, and it cant be 9400 - (loco in the National Collection) because it has been done before by Lima. 

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Agreed on that, imagine how useful a fleet of basically new 94xx’s would be to the movement... hate to say it, but they should have scrapped more MNs instead.

A colleague & myself  costed out a 'metric' pannier. This proposed project  was a full 12"= 1'  size. Instead of Imperial sizes, such as Whitworth, the fixings would be ISO standard. The rationale being that if they would be building them today,  what would be added or deleted?   Things such as displacement lubrication being replaced with mechanical lubrication. 

Surprisingly, the costs vis-a-vis  rebuild and new build ran extremely close; about £3,500, if I remember.  These were 1998 prices.  

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Zeros to be added?

Surprisingly, no.  In retrospect, I looked at the proposal to batch build 10 8750 class locomotives, purely as a logistical exercise.  This came about because 9629 was rescued from Holiday Inn, and started to find & purchase the missing parts.  I'll go on record to thank each & every one of the people I met along the way, who helped (and continue ) with the project. 

When you've got a factory at your disposal, with 20 ton cranes stood idle, then you start to get inventive...

• Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, JohnR said:

By a process of elimination, I think (if it IS a GWR loco) that it will be something Broad Gauge. Iron Duke?

That provides an alternative explanation for the lack of Peco track. Peco is busy producing a range of broad gauge and mixed gauge track.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I say! A little unfair! The revealed model is of a truly historic British loco. Not every new release can be GWR-inspired!

Only because there were hints in the froth that it might be a GWR model.