Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Good point.

So what is in the NC that involves Collett (Mike's clue) that has never been available RTR?

Never mind. We'll find out in 2 hours. (Note to self: Don't get pulled into the froth.)

And don't take all clues as gospel - I really can't get everything right every time when it comes to guessing games but it does have two cylinders and 2 leading wheels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It was my own fault for asking, wasn't it? 

Titanic or Britannic would be better in a wa: I know exactly where they are...

I'm not that worried about a price rise, not that I'd be happy with it, but it wouldn't affect my buying one.  I'm more worried about the Somali pirates at the moment!

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold

I'd be more concerned about the overloaded UK ports system. There have been several news items recently about ships being diverted to mainland Europe ports because the UK ones, particularly Felixstowe, are clogged up with containers due to slow Customs clearance and importers stocking up before full implementation of Brexit (without investment in port or customs facilities) makes things even worse. The container you want may be on a dockside in Rotterdam...

Edited by Andy W
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Get back in line!

I think these are due after the MR 0-4-4Ts appear. :prankster:

However I think they were both due for Warley which should have been this coming weekend. I would have expected there would have been finished examples on display.

But apparently Warley has a "virtual event" coming up this weekend so they might have some news.

https://www.facebook.com/events/654600898554249

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
Added link
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Chatting to a retailer this am, I was surprised to find he was over subscribed on all panniers and 1p’s...  

If youve not ordered, it would seem pertinent to get the order in.

I think your surprise is very slightly misplaced, if I may.  Hornby have reported an increase in sales, so no doubt Bachmann are something similar.   

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Andy W said:

I'd be more concerned about the overloaded UK ports system. There have been several news items recently about ships being diverted to mainland Europe ports because the UK ones, particularly Felixstowe, are clogged up with containers due to slow Customs clearance and importers stocking up before full implementation of Brexit (without investment in port or customs facilities) makes things even worse. The container you want may be on a dockside in Rotterdam...

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that.

Everyone knows how important model railways are and the port will clearly want to give priority to all shipments from Bachmann, Hornby etc.

No one in the shipping or ports business wants to incur the wrath of a critical thread on RMWeb.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No one in the shipping or ports business wants to incur the wrath of a critical thread on RMWeb.

What? A critical thread on RMWeb?  Are you sure? 

I'd get down the doctors pronto, and get yourself checked out. :senile:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

But apparently Warley has a "virtual event" coming up this weekend so they might have some news.

Let's hope. 

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

If youve not ordered, it would seem pertinent to get the order in.

On pre-order at Rails since May, and for a good bit less than Bachmann's list price.  Good advice but already taken, and I suspect that if I had left it until the last minute I'd be sweating a bit at the moment.  I sort of foresaw this, which is why I pre-ordered (along with the good price).  On top of the Brexit issues and the Covid, there is bound to be a fair bit of pent up demand for this loco, because of the long lead time.  What is it, 5 years? 6 years?  The price has consistently risen as the model has been consistently deferred, but experience shows that by and large we are a fairly well to do middle class already paid off the mortgage sort of bunch (I'm not!) in general and the market is resilient to price increases.  There's plenty of sound and fury every time one is announced but we buy the models just the same!  Current Rails price is £110, and I don't think much of the first batch will be left when the second batch turns up.

1 minute ago, Captain Kernow said:

And quite right too!  Nothing is more important than the prompt availability of the 94xx, especially my 94xx.  You wouldn't like me when I'm angry (mind, some people don't like me much anyways)...  Gimmee, NOW, bright shiny new thing make it all better...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I would panic if I was desperate for a specific one such as the Locomotion 9400.

But a plain black pannier? They'll be churning them out for years.

Jason

That is a risk, I agree, long term plain Black 0-6-0s tend to age badly on retailers shelves.

I guess it’s a game of patience, if you want it now, or are prepared to take a risk for the long game, if they learn historical lessons, there could be an air gap.

Edited by adb968008

40 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I would panic if I was desperate for a specific one such as the Locomotion 9400.

But a plain black pannier? They'll be churning them out for years.

Jason

Quite possibly - but not continuously. If you miss the first batch, you may have to wait a year or so to get one from the second release.

No manufacturer 'churns them out for years' any more - they have to book their contractors' production slots well in advance.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Agreed.  I've waited long enough for this and, at 68 years old with a realistic view of my future prospects, am reckoning on another 20 years before going gaga (all right, even more gaga) or being withdrawn from service; I'm not in the long game any more.  If I had to wait another 4 years (and this is Bachmann we are talking about remember so that's optomistic!) for the next production batch, which could easily be twice the price, that's denying myself the use and pleasure of the model for 20% of my remaining layout operating life; the cost/benefit analysis is much less viable.  The future philosophy must be to buy it now, whatever it is, and enjoy using it, so long as it can be paid for without compromising essential bills and lifestyle.  I am trying to maintain a budget of £25 a month for the layout, which is laughable to some of you but I'm a pensioner on a fixed income which cannot be increased further. 

If I can pay for it within the above limitations and without borrowing, I'm 'aving it now, thank you!  There is little point in saving up for future projects, when there is a definite limit to how much future there is.  If I can't pay for it, I can't have it and that's that, but I've money put aside for the 94xx.

I am in the position once this purchase is made, rather fortuitously, of not having any future announced models on the shopping list with the possible exception of the Dapol large prairie; everything I plan to buy is available and likely to continue to be so for some time.  Hornby large prairie probably, Peckett B2 possibly, Comet kits, Southeastern Chassis kit for 1854, one or two Cambrians and Chivers, and that's me for stock!  I've plenty coach building projects to keep me going the next few years, then we think about scratchbuilding...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10