Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
On 09/12/2020 at 15:05, The Johnster said:

I hope not!  This sounds like a reversion to the pancake philosophy of 40 odd years ago, also using high revving motors driving through gear trains of nylon reduction cogs to achieve reasonable rpm at the driving wheels.  The cogs were unreliable and prone to splitting, and induced a degree of friction that defeated any chance of good slow running or smooth start/stops.  Hoping not does not make you wrong, though, John, and while I think the 94xx will be fine as a slow runner, I reckon you are right in that coreless will become the norm over the next decade or so as it becomes harder for Chinese factories to source good quality cored motors suitable for use in model railway locos, 

A long term answer might be multiple smaller motors directly driving each axle, so that the 'lumpiness' is cancelled out.  I am fortunate in that the 94xx is probably going to be the last of my RTR loco purchases (unless someone brings out a decent 2721, 1854, or Collett 1938 31xx), so I've got my purchases in before it hits the fan!

More a reversion to how Portescaps did it....

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Bachmann’s website is still saying ‘Dec/Jan’, and Jan still has 3 weeks to run, so we might see it before Feb yet.  She’ll be comin’ round the mountain when she comes; one has to play the long game with Bachmann!  Container traffic has apparently been considerably disrupted at the ports ‘this end’ by the Brexit negotiations which generated a lot of traffic trying to neat deadlines, and by a container shortage, which to be fair Barwell cannot do much about.  

6 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

So where is that container?  It has been almost a month since the news they wouldn't arrive before Christmas... 

Hope it wasn't one of the 1813 which fell off the ONE Opus container ship last month. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

Why, is he vaguely interested in one? You can't really tell from his posts......

I think he's playing it cool...... I reckon it's been in Cardiff sorting office for 2 years, but they've haven't the heart to tell him....

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

If it was, perhaps Bachmann will give The Johnster one of the review models...

They'd probably give me the wrong one knowing my luck, the GWR version with the cover plate on the front framing...

3 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Why, is he vaguely interested in one? You can't really tell from his posts......

Depends on your definition of vague

3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I think he's playing it cool...... I reckon it's been in Cardiff sorting office for 2 years, but they've haven't the heart to tell him....

Got to play it cool, promised Andy Y I wouldn't moan about not having one yet any more... 

You are all very bad people for teasing me in such a cruel way.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

They'd probably give me the wrong one knowing my luck, the GWR version with the cover plate on the front framing...

Depends on your definition of vague

Got to play it cool, promised Andy Y I wouldn't moan about not having one yet any more... 

You are all very bad people for teasing me in such a cruel way.

I don't know (or need to know) exactly where in "The mean streets of inner-city Cardiff" you are, but I'm fairly sure that I'll hear your outpourings of delight (or angst) upon opening the box and placing your 94xx on the track, from here a couple of miles away in the slightly leafier suburbs near the old Roath Branch line......A day to look forward to ;)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

You probably will, Tim; the description of your location suggests that I’m probably within a mile of you, in a more ‘street’ part of Roath...

I'll keep ear muffs and a supply of loco sound recordings handy then....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Apparently the Locomotion 9400 is due in stock tomorrow, deliveries from next week, so the rest cannot be far behind.....

The @The Johnster will soon have his precious.

YYYYAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Preciousssssss...

Hopefully I won't come to the  same end as Gollum, but this is the end of a 4 year wait and I am very, very happy that it is nearly here at last,  I also get what is fundamentally a free 57xx, as it's arrival will mean the withdrawal of the Limby 8448 and the replacement of that chassis under it's original donor body.  It's not really free of course, I already bought it on 'Bay, but you know what I mean... 

The new 8448 will intitiall take up duties on passenger work, which is what Tondu apparently used it's 94xx for, and this is confirmed by photos in John Hodges' Tondu Valleys books, but it will, when fully run in, put in the odd appearance on the coal trains or the pickup as well.  I was going to transfer the number plates over from the Limby, but may will treat it to Railtec transfers instead, as these have the correct white painted smokebox door plate numbers.

Happy Bunny in Cardiff this afternoon!

6 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not correct, but it did carry the livery.

I think the NRM 9400 version is in this livery.  It's not so much incorrect as 'showroom condition embellishments', though of course the handrails and smokebox hinges were never polished in service even when the loco was newly built

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I think the NRM 9400 version is in this livery.  It's not so much incorrect as 'showroom condition embellishments', though of course the handrails and smokebox hinges were never polished in service even when the loco was newly built

Nope. The NRM/Steam one is GWR not GREAT WESTERN.

It was a mistake by Swindon Works who painted it in pre 1934 livery and delivered to the old GWR Museum like that.

Jason

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

It was a mistake by Swindon Works who painted it in pre 1934 livery and delivered to the old GWR Museum like that.

Jason

The last time I saw it, the “Great Western” lettering was clearly still present under the painted over green, so  it is only a “really good clean” away from being in that livery right now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's been a while, but at long last. I'm looking out of my study window westwards, but there's no fireworks yet..... Depending on how it looks, I might indeed purchase a 34xx for some Radyr-based forays. That said, I'm still at a distance from actually running a locomotive, so we shall see. When this lockdown malarkey is concluded, I might do a bit of loco spotting at Cwmdimbath...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

Good lord, you're right, and I never even noticed!  This is of course because it is so unlikely that Swindon Works ever made a mistake...

Taxi...

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

It's been a while, but at long last. I'm looking out of my study window westwards, but there's no fireworks yet..... Depending on how it looks, I might indeed purchase a 34xx for some Radyr-based forays. That said, I'm still at a distance from actually running a locomotive, so we shall see. When this lockdown malarkey is concluded, I might do a bit of loco spotting at Cwmdimbath...

You will be very welcome, and I'll let you drive... Fireworks when it arrives, is unpacked, thoroughly examined, put on the layout, and provien to run properly.  I'll have to get some biggish rockets to clear the top of Ridgeway hill to enable you to see them clearly... 

My advice is to buy now before the price increases again.  Being a poor pensioner on a fixed income I have been making a concerted effort to obtain all the locos I need as soon as I'm able; costs in China are only going to ever go in one direction.  Bachmann locos hold their value well, so depreciation is not a serious issue.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Now.. sit down, get a cup of tea.

take a sip.

lean back.

swallow...

Because I just recieved this email..

We are pleased to announce that your pre-ordered 9400 is due to arrive in Shildon tomorrow, so the time is now due for the balance payment 

Looks like 9400’s are in town.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Reality check.

Not quite yet, apparently!  The imminent loco is the Locomotion version, 9400 in ‘as preserved’ condition.  The Bachmann ‘production’ locos are no doubt in the offing, but it is anyone’s guess as to which order the 3 variants, 9402 in G W R livery, ‘my’ early BR 9487 in BR unicycling lion, or 9479 in later BR ferret and dartboard, will arrive in or when.  They may all arrive at the same time, or the DCC sound fitted versions may be first.  

Bachmann’s website still claims ‘Dec/Jan’, and a Locomotion 9400 that has had adb968008’s money taken from his account must be actually in the shop.  Woodenhead reckoned deliveries next week for these, but we’ve still heard nothing concrete, or at all, about the Bachmanns.  So I’m holding off on  full whoopee!!! mode, for now...

I’m reasonably confident that Bachmann will be able to claim that they are ‘arrived’ by the end of this month, but this does not equate to ‘in shops’, and ‘in shops’ does not equate to dispatched, never mind delivered; I’m reckoning on at least another 3 weeks before I have mine, assuming that Royal Mail are up to the mark, and they seem to be having trouble coping in some places!  But not fully confident and I’m checking the website daily to see if the ‘Dec/Jan’ ETA has been altered. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Friendly/supportive 1