Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

Guest Locomotion No. 3
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Reality check.

Not quite yet, apparently!  The imminent loco is the Locomotion version, 9400 in ‘as preserved’ condition.  

Bachmann’s website still claims ‘Dec/Jan’, and a Locomotion 9400 that has had adb968008’s money taken from his account must be actually in the shop.  

Our version arrived in Barwell on Wednesday and at Shildon yesterday. They will be despatched first to those who pre-ordered and have paid in full or have since paid the balance to complete the purchase (having paid the initial £30 deposit). Stuart contacted the latter group on Thursday and distribution will commence early next week. In the meantime, our website (www.locomotionmodels.com) has full details for anyone who would like to place an order for No. 9400. 

Our museums and retail shops at York and Shildon are currently closed due to the current restrictions, so we are unable to sell over the counter for the time being. 

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Executive

Locomotion Models

Edited by Locomotion No. 3
Literal

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for this clarification, Dennis; one hopes the others are not far behind, and wonders if they were all in the same container and Barwell are checking the others before stating that they have 'arrived', one does!  I will not be ordering a GWR version, yours or Bachmanns', as I need a loco without the cover plated between the frame tops visible ahead of the smokebox, and it would be a shame to overpaint the polished embellishments.  The BR locos did not have this and the tops of the valve chests are visible like a barmaid's decollatage.  My 9487 is on pre-order at Rails and is still listed on their website as 'pending'; it tends to lend itstelf to pend, but they'll send it in the end and to me it will wend, but for now it's driving me round the bend, heaven forfend, it wil mend my need and prevent a rend of my hair, which would neccessitate seeing someone who would vend me a wig.  The End.

My assumption is that Rails have not had delivery yet, I bet (stop that now, Johnster), and Bachmanns' website is still quoting 'Dec/Jan' ETA.  They have 15 days to meet this target or change it to 'Feb' or later, 10 working days excluding weekends!  Exciting, isn't it!

I know, I should get out  more, but there's a lockdown and it's raining.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Still 'Pending' at Rails, but it looks as if that may not be for much longer!  The excitement is starting to build a bit now and I'm starting to feel like a kiddie at xmas...  Can I take 'They' to mean that all versions have arrived at Barwell?  Bachmann's website is still listing all 6 variants' availability as 'Dec/Jan', but I'm guessing they will not change this status until the models have been checked and sorted before delivery to the retailers. 

Soon, my preciousssssssss, what has it got in it's packetses?

• Like 6

My 9487 will still need to find its way to the other side of the English Channel. My last shipment from Hatton's took 2 months! I hope Rails don't send it by Royal Mail. I'll be needing some advice on renumbering it to 8405 (never done anything like that before) and unite it with my avatar.

• Agree 1

Same for me here, but Hattons via dpd was always here in 2-3 days.

Mine is going to be renumbered to 9462, the number which 9466 carried during the anniversary of the South Devon Railway in 2019.

I always enjoy using transfers and numberplates from fox-transfers.co.uk.

The numberplates can simply be glued over the printed ones.

Regards,

Björn

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, in the leafy suburbs of Cardiff....

"Signed for?  SIGNED FOR?  Look old chap!  I've got it tattooed on my arm! Give it 'eer!

BBC Wales & the Western Mail have reporters standing by.....

Well done Johnster; keep with it. Not long now.....

Edited by tomparryharry
  • Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

If you are nervous about putting new numbers on, the answer may Railtec waterslide transfers; these have the correct relief of GW number plates and a very easy to apply.  They also have the advantage of being less likely to bend or be damaged when you remove them from the brass fret.  You get the required number, white numbers on the smokebox door plates (another advantage over etched brass), ready made power classification and route availability dots (HMRS require the power letter to be applied on top of the dot, which can be fiddly) and the shedcode.  No connection satisfied customer.

Otherwise, use a dab of varnish to secure etched brass number plates as MG suggests.  Etched brass has the advantage of being, um, brass, which will tarnish prototypically and can be polished up!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

If you are nervous about putting new numbers on, the answer may Railtec waterslide transfers; these have the correct relief of GW number plates and a very easy to apply.  They also have the advantage of being less likely to bend or be damaged when you remove them from the brass fret.  You get the required number, white numbers on the smokebox door plates (another advantage over etched brass), ready made power classification and route availability dots (HMRS require the power letter to be applied on top of the dot, which can be fiddly) and the shedcode.  No connection satisfied customer.

Otherwise, use a dab of varnish to secure etched brass number plates as MG suggests.  Etched brass has the advantage of being, um, brass, which will tarnish prototypically and can be polished up!

Except most GWR numberplates were painted cast iron not brass particularly on the smaller and less glamorous locos. Agreed that Railtec are the dog's wotsits.

• RMweb Gold

There were some locos given numbers at Caerphilly in the 50s that were painted directly to the cab sides, in the Egyptian Serif style complete with a representation of the plate border, with yellow paintl; some 57xx, 56xx, and possibly others.  The printed RTR type numbers would be almost correct for these; in any case they are useful as postitioning templates for retrofit brass or Railtec xfer numbers.

Edited by The Johnster

6 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

My 9487 will still need to find its way to the other side of the English Channel. My last shipment from Hatton's took 2 months! I hope Rails don't send it by Royal Mail. I'll be needing some advice on renumbering it to 8405 (never done anything like that before) and unite it with my avatar.

all you need is a set of plates 8405 is on the list of stock etching from 247 developments

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

all you need is a set of plates 8405 is on the list of stock etching from 247 developments

Funnily enough I think one of my sets of plates are from 247, but bought from the previous owner. I panic bought a few as I thought that it was closing down for good.

Showing how long I've had them...

Just dug them out and they are 8468 and have a nice SB plate in nickel.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Philou said:

Keep calm Johnster, and carry on. Even I can feel the throb ...  er ... heat of excitement here.

Cheers,

Philip

Keep feeling the throb, Philou, nothing wrong wiv a birra frob...

Mummy said it would make me blind, so I just did it until I was short sighted...

Just now, Steamport Southport said:

Funnily enough I think one of my sets of plates are from 247, but bought from the previous owner. I panic bought a few as I thought that it was closing down for good.

Showing how long I've had them...

Just dug them out and they are 8468 and have a nice SB plate in nickel.

Jason

PS i am 247

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Mike_Walker said:

Except most GWR numberplates were painted cast iron not brass particularly on the smaller and less glamorous locos. Agreed that Railtec are the dog's wotsits.

We need a bit of research here, but I've an inkling that the contractor-built 94xx were brass, not iron. Some 94xx plates going through auction have been brass.