Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

My 9487 will still need to find its way to the other side of the English Channel. My last shipment from Hatton's took 2 months! I hope Rails don't send it by Royal Mail. I'll be needing some advice on renumbering it to 8405 (never done anything like that before) and unite it with my avatar.

You might want to check with them and also ask what customs arrangements they are making for shipments to the EU. I'm in Portugal and lots of expat facebook groups are complaining about excessive courier charges (especially DHL) for the recipient even where the sender is taking a pre-payment for customs charges, so the goods should be delivered without extra fees. Royal Mail and the Dutch (? from your location) postal service may take longer but may be more efficient.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Pinehill said:

They are in the Bachman warehouse & in process of being despatched to stockists!

Since I found this thread a couple of weeks ago I have been following it just out of interest, however the model looks so good I have now decided to buy one and renumber it to 9434. The main reason being that when I was not yet a teenager I used to travel from Penryn to Truro to go locospotting at the 'big' station, one day the loco crew gave me a footplate ride back to Penryn on 9434, after that she was my favourite loco.

It's a long shot but does anyone know if she would have had the early or late BR crest in 1957/58?  Yes I am that old.:)

Another strange coincidence regarding the number 9434 is that when I joined the Merchant Navy in 1968 my registration number was R859434.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Since I found this thread a couple of weeks ago I have been following it just out of interest, however the model looks so good I have now decided to buy one and renumber it to 9434. The main reason being that when I was not yet a teenager I used to travel from Penryn to Truro to go locospotting at the 'big' station, one day the loco crew gave me a footplate ride back to Penryn on 9434, after that she was my favourite loco.

It's a long shot but does anyone know if she would have had the early or late BR crest in 1957/58?  Yes I am that old.:)

Another strange coincidence regarding the number 9434 is that when I joined the Merchant Navy in 1968 my registration number was R859434.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

1957 definitely an early crest.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p30480076/e6fbba163

Photo from the front.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/9400-class-0-6-0pt/ea88a6a46

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

You might want to check with them and also ask what customs arrangements they are making for shipments to the EU.

I've already been in touch with Rails to make sure they deduct UK VAT which they confirmed. I am expecting to pay Dutch VAT to the courier plus their handling fee whatever that is. I guess I need to contact Rails again to see what the courier options are and who is the most competitive.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

1957 definitely an early crest.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p30480076/e6fbba163

Photo from the front.

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/steam-gwr/9400-class-0-6-0pt/ea88a6a46

Jason

Thanks Jason. Would she have been at Newton Abbott for repair/refurbishment? if so would she then changed to late crest? 

To answer the question posed under the first photo as to why there were so many heavy shunting engines at Truro, the answer is probably that they weren't used for shunting. It's a long time ago now but my memory isn't too bad for my age and I seem to remember that most of the shunting in Truro was done by at least one 57XX, one of which was 37(something). Again from memory the 84/94's were used for at least 50% of the Falmouth branch passenger and goods trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that, Miss P, is very useful, concise, and clear information!  For the purposes of this thread, all 94xx numberplates were brass, and thus etched brass is the best material to represent them, but there are other factors influencing my choice.  But it will be a very useful guide for my other locos!   Many thanks.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

Again from memory the 84/94's were used for at least 50% of the Falmouth branch passenger and goods trains.

This seems to have been mirrored at Tondu, which used it's allocation of 94xx apparently almost exclusively for passenger work despite being exactly the sort of place you think of as ideal for locos designed for heavy trip and shunting work.  I have no idea why this should be; the locos were ideal for slowish passneger work on steeply graded branches over relatively short distances, but so were 57xx/8750s, which were used on pilot and trip freight work at the shed as well as passneger trains. 

The Cheltenham-Gloucester part of the Cheltenham-Paddington workings was a 94xx job as well, if you want an excuse for a 94xx with an express passenger headcode.  The locos used as Lickey bankers were all from the GW batch, with higher boiler pressure.

My mineral trains at Cwmdimbath are worked by 56xx, which are used, correctly, for anything and everything on the layout, and a 42xx which does this work exclusively, but the new 94xx will certainly be given a chance to prove herself on this work; I'll keep her on passenger jobs till she's bedded in, though.  I'm looking forward to her on the pickup as well, a good test of slow controllability and smoothness that again might improve with running in.  Her predecessor, a Limbach hybrid ballasted to the greatest extent I can manage, struggles with the loaded in some spots which puts it on a haulage par with a Hornby W4 Peckett, which can manage the loaded but not with a brake van attached.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1

Very tempted by one of these but worried about the performance due to the coreless.

I have found them to lack torque and be designed for speed.

I've noted the many interesting comments about coreless, feedback and HF track cleaners also the types of DC to use.

The one to avoid is anything derived from 50Hz this always causes a build up of heat, most more modern controllers use full wave and so 100Hz ripple.

The GM model D/WCombi for example.

Ripple is good for older motor types and 100Hz is fine.

Those with older controllers but still full wave might like to try a non polarised capacitor rated at around 35volts 220uF, simply place this across your controller's out puts to improve and smooth coreless motors. Or as I have done fit a smaller value say 47uF inside the loco across the motor. DC only of course.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Paul.Uni said:

Bachmann website shows all but the sound GWR green have arrived at Bachmann.

So it does, yay!  Next job is to keep checking the bank a/c to see if they've 'ad me money, then the hard part. 

As in any American war movie:-

Sarge (usually John Wayne): 'You ok, Kowalski'?

Kowalski (there's always a Kowalski) :'i don't like it, sarge, it's quiet.  Too quiet.  It's the waiting that gets yer, why don't they come out and fight: see them busihes/treeds/sand dunes/ruined French buildings; there's someone behind every one of 'em. I tells ya, Sarge, I'm scared.  You ever get scared Sarge, no, they don't give purple hearts to yellerbellies'. Sun glints off Sarge's purple heart ribbons.

Sarge: 'Sure I'm scared, son, any man who says he ain't ain't nuttn but a goddam fool or a godddam liar!  You just keep your head down and do your best, Kowalski, that's all Uncle Sam wants from you.  Just remember your trianing, you'll be fine'.  'Gee, thanks, Sarge, I feel a bit better now'.

Sound FX arrow/carbine/rifle/AMG.

Kowalski: 'Arrggghhh'.  Falls down.  So much for the training.

Shultz (there's also always a Shultz as well, and he has spent the whole movie up to now hating Kowalski): 'They got Kowalski, the redskins/ etc got Kowalski'! Breaks cover and charges positions, yelling that 'they got Kowalski', no sh*t, Sherlock.

Sarge: 'Get back here, Shultz, you'll get k....'. they plug him with arrers or a machine gun opens up, Shultz dies jerkily and heroically.  In wars where he's allowed a hand grenade his dying action is to remove the pin and, with his last strength, throw it at the redskin/jap etc machine gun nest.

It's quiet.  Too quiet.

Or, the British goddamit Carruthers Emoire, in Zulu; 'why us, Sarge'? 'Because we're 'ere, lad'.  Cue, lad gets assegai up to the hilt in chest...

Don't fro. Bloody spears. At me...

Assuming that Rais get stock by the end of the week and get mine out by Monday, and that Royal Mail do the biz, I'm looking at mid to end next week I reckon!

Preciousssssssss.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clearwater said:

Pleased to say my 9400 has arrived from Shildon.  Hold on @The Johnster its nearly here!

Will be interested to hear your comments on how it runs, Clearwater, especially slow running and the smoothness of stopping and starting, vital on a small BLT.  You must be a very happy bunny, a 94xx of your very very own, and you will, ok, Johnster, don't start that nonsense again...

Still pending at Rails for the moment.  Probably just as well there's a lockdown or I'd be seriously considering going up there to pick it up, which would cost more than the loco itself!

6 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Will be interested to hear your comments on how it runs, Clearwater, especially slow running and the smoothness of stopping and starting, vital on a small BLT.  You must be a very happy bunny, a 94xx of your very very own, and you will, ok, Johnster, don't start that nonsense again...

Still pending at Rails for the moment.  Probably just as well there's a lockdown or I'd be seriously considering going up there to pick it up, which would cost more than the loco itself!

I've only briefly had it out of the box.  I'll try and give it a brief run tonight but it may be the weekend as I have a lot on at the moment!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Fair enough, don't rush, it's not a race!  But I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when you do test run it; mine is not particularly likely to be here by the weekend!  Thanks in advance.

It is a race. A Pannier Race.   

16XXs were due in Felixstowe at 11.30am this morning....

:training:

You wait ages for a Pannier and two turn up!

Jason

• Agree 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

You wait ages for a Pannier and two turn up!

Which one will take centre stage in The First Class Pannier Lounge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1