Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

These models run really well throughout the speed range. On test last year I used a Gaugemaster W controller, they also work very well on the base trainset Bachmann controller. Don’t run them on feedback controllers, or with electronic track cleaners, the instructions tell you not to. I can confirm they don’t run well with a feedback controller or some poorer quality controllers like the Hornby R965 and basic types like the H&M Duette. I didn’t try it with a track cleaner. The Gaugemaster feedback controllers also mention they’re not compatible with coreless motors. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

16XXs were due in Felixstowe at 11.30am this morning....

Pity Tondu didn't have 16xx; I always thought they were well proportioned and attractive little things.  The contractor taking up track in Cadoxton sidings in 1965 had one, and his driver used to race the dmus between Cadoxton and Barry Dock.  They were pretty quick off the mark with those small driving wheels!

16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Pity Tondu didn't have 16xx; I always thought they were well proportioned and attractive little things.

You could always follow Rule 1 for Cwmdimbath  Johnster

Edited by 89A
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah, but there's Rule 1 and then there's Rule 1; with great power comes great responsibility.  There is Rule 1 that I can live with, a devised Barry through working that allows me to have a BR Standard 3MT tank up to Cwmdim to run around it's train each timetable day, and there's Rule 1 that is the top of a dangerous sloppery slip into running everything and everthing and results in City of Truro on MGR workings  I don't have the discipline for the second version.  And the division is quite arbitrary and illogical; it won't allow a 16xx, not built until over half way through my stated period.  But it will allow potential Dyffryn Yard Taff A and Rhymney R unfinished kits if I ever get a round tuit.  I intend to acquire a round tuit, but haven't got around to it yet.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Ah, but there's Rule 1 and then there's Rule 1; with great power comes great responsibility.  There is Rule 1 that I can live with, a devised Barry through working that allows me to have a BR Standard 3MT tank up to Cwmdim to run around it's train each timetable day, and there's Rule 1 that is the top of a dangerous sloppery slip into running everything and everthing and results in City of Truro on MGR workings  I don't have the discipline for the second version.  And the division is quite arbitrary and illogical; it won't allow a 16xx, not built until over half way through my stated period.  But it will allow potential Dyffryn Yard Taff A and Rhymney R unfinished kits if I ever get a round tuit.  I intend to acquire a round tuit, but haven't got around to it yet.

Yep. It should be a LMS 4F on the MGR hoppers.....

Evidence here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/44027-lms-4027-br-44027/

Jason

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. It should be a LMS 4F on the MGR hoppers.....

Evidence here.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/44027-lms-4027-br-44027/

Jason

Quite.  No need for Rule 1 here.

1 hour ago, Budgie said:

Is this any help?

1326071485_Aroundtuit.jpg.317e463556d0130a1e2b0f4cf5e8772e.jpg

It probably will be, once I eventually get around to it...

• Funny 1

22 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

All the 94s are now showing sold out at Tony's Trains of Rugby!

Yep! Not surprised to be honest, havnt seen them in stock anywhere else yet. I ordered mine off him last night (GWR 9402) and it looks like it's in the post now. Eeeekkkkk :yahoo_mini:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Nothing wrong with the current version.  Bought one a few weeks ago.

Indeed, they are fundamentally a very good model and I think that the overall accuracy of the original Mainline tooling might have accounted for the fact that no etched pannier kit ever emerged from the likes of Malcolm Mitchell and Martin Finney, back in the day.

The new 94XX does, however, exhibit some additional refinements that would certainly benefit the 57XX and the 8750, even if it wasn't a fundamental re-tool.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Pity Tondu didn't have 16xx; I always thought they were well proportioned and attractive little things

But there were plenty fairly close by. If you really won't let yourself succumb, you might just have found the ultimate expression of Self Denial!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Quite a few 16xx made their way to Barry, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they made their way to Tondu in turn. Shedmasters would lend locomotives to other depots within divisions, so it's certainly possible.  Tondu originally came under the Newport division (86) for Johnsters time period. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

How long do you think it will be before a 57xx retool

Probably not, if ever. Why? It's not a bad little model. Some detail is missing, such as the sandbox operating rods. It has good haulage capability. The biggest problem is where the second-hand market jokers try to pass off the older Mainline models as Bachmann. 

In retrospect, Bachmann have never made an early-version 57xx pannier.  The 8750 version (s)  made their appearance in the 1930s, replacing the earlier 57s as the asset worked through their book values. There was, however, a host of the earlier locomotives cheek-by-jowl with the much later, newer, ones.  Earlier versions of panniers, such as the 27xx series, put in a full working life of 40 years+.  In other words, the same periods  when the much-vaunted  City of Truro was out & about  earning its keep.  I think Bachmann have done themselves a disfavour by limiting their model (s) to the later periods, when with a little bit of thought would allow a much larger class, and a much larger time period. 

Bachmann would justifiably think... " Hells teeth! We've made the 57, the 8750, the 64xx, and now the 94xx panniers! What more could they possibly want?" Like toplight coaches, they went through several era-defining examples, and is a real detail minefield.  Hornby, on the other hand, could be onto a winner here. The 1970s model really needs a significant upgrade, and I'd suggest the tooling has been about as long as the prototype, full-size,  originals. 

However, back to the present day.  There will be renditions of  Handle's Messiah*  as it reaches down to south Wales, and much will be the rejoicing....  Now's the time to watch e-bay, as less-scrupled individuals try to pass off the older Grafar models.....

Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware!

*  Reginald Handle:-  Flange manipulator & Taxidermist.

Edited by tomparryharry
Yes.
  • Like 1

Psst @The Johnster ...... don't tell anyone, but that nice friendly model shop in Penarth Road has some. I believe that one may be winging its way to la not-so-belle France ..... :)

My precioussssssshhhhh (with ssssssound)

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

I have mine on pre-order at Rails. Has anybody had shipping confirmed by them yet? I'm hoping I'm not at the end of the list because of the kerfuffle of shipping to the EU.

Rails is showing in stock but with the DCC ready versions sold out to pre-orders, which are currently being processed.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Probably not, if ever. Why? It's not a bad little model. Some detail is missing, such as the sandbox operating rods. It has good haulage capability. The biggest problem is where the second-hand market jokers try to pass off the older Mainline models as Bachmann. 

In retrospect, Bachmann have never made an early-version 57xx pannier.  The 8750 version (s)  made their appearance in the 1930s, replacing the earlier 57s as the asset worked through their book values. There was, however, a host of the earlier locomotives cheek-by-jowl with the much later, newer, ones.  Earlier versions of panniers, such as the 27xx series, put in a full working life of 40 years+.  In other words, the same periods  when the much-vaunted  City of Truro was out & about  earning its keep.  I think Bachmann have done themselves a disfavour by limiting their model (s) to the later periods, when with a little bit of thought would allow a much larger class, and a much larger time period. 

Bachmann would justifiably think... " Hells teeth! We've made the 57, the 8750, the 64xx, and now the 94xx panniers! What more could they possibly want?" Like toplight coaches, they went through several era-defining examples, and is a real detail minefield.  Hornby, on the other hand, could be onto a winner here. The 1970s model really needs a significant upgrade, and I'd suggest the tooling has been about as long as the prototype, full-size,  originals. 

However, back to the present day.  There will be renditions of  Handle's Messiah*  as it reaches down to south Wales, and much will be the rejoicing....  Now's the time to watch e-bay, as less-scrupled individuals try to pass off the older Grafar models.....

Caveat Emptor! Let the buyer beware!

*  Reginald Handle:-  Flange manipulator & Taxidermist.

There is a rich seam of pre-57xx panniers that Hornby or Hattons might but probably won’t mine; 2721, 1854, 1701, 2021, 850 and the like, with the option of producing saddle tank versions.  The 4-coupled 517 and Metro side tanks were widespread and long lived as well.  I point these locos out because all of them are perfectly suited to pulling generic 4 & 6 wheel coaches, which might make them more attractive to those producers.  And a good number were auto fitted in their later lives, even outside framed versions and saddles.  Examples of most made it into BR days, some into the 50s. 

The problem for the producers is the huge number of detail variations; the term ‘class’ is barely appropriate in some of these cases, and they were more ‘collections of broadly similar but individually unique locos grouped under the number of the first one, then rebuilt as panniers’.  On top of that, once rebuilt, there were further cab and bunker varieties.  

As is generally known here, I would love to see a 2721 pannier to current standards, and in my dream world Simon Kohler’s proprietorial leanings towards locos previously produced (or inherited) by Hornby might make it a possibility, perhaps in response to Hattons doing an 1854, which I also want!  But I ain’t holding my breath. 

If anyone’s interested in a Metro or a 2721 saddle, Stafford Road Works do 3D body prints through Shapeways. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Rails is showing in stock but with the DCC ready versions sold out to pre-orders, which are currently being processed.

Mine is still showing as pending, but presumably this is a dynamic situation.  Exciting, isn’t it (for ‘exciting’ read ‘unmitigated torture for The Johnster’)!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

There is a rich seam of pre-57xx panniers that Hornby or Hattons might but probably won’t mine; 2721, 1854, 1701, 2021, 850 and the like, with the option of producing saddle tank versions.  The 4-coupled 517 and Metro side tanks were widespread and long lived as well.  I point these locos out because all of them are perfectly suited to pulling generic 4 & 6 wheel coaches, which might make them more attractive to those producers.  And a good number were auto fitted in their later lives, even outside framed versions and saddles.  Examples of most made it into BR days, some into the 50s. 

The problem for the producers is the huge number of detail variations; the term ‘class’ is barely appropriate in some of these cases, and they were more ‘collections of broadly similar but individually unique locos grouped under the number of the first one, then rebuilt as panniers’.  On top of that, once rebuilt, there were further cab and bunker varieties.  

As is generally known here, I would love to see a 2721 pannier to current standards, and in my dream world Simon Kohler’s proprietorial leanings towards locos previously produced (or inherited) by Hornby might make it a possibility, perhaps in response to Hattons doing an 1854, which I also want!  But I ain’t holding my breath. 

If anyone’s interested in a Metro or a 2721 saddle, Stafford Road Works do 3D body prints through Shapeways. 

Please remember that the 2021 is still fairly close to a 16xx. Research needed, however.

16 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

How long do you think it will be before a 57xx retool, I believe the current Bachmann one still traces some parts back to to mainline model.

As good as the current 57xx and 8750 are it would be good to have a retool if only to have built in speaker in the chassis as the 94xx.

• Informative/Useful 1