Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 89A said:

As good as the current 57xx and 8750 are it would be good to have a retool if only to have built in speaker in the chassis as the 94xx.

And a non-topfeed boiler option.  I might be persuaded to spring for an 8750 without a top feed (already hacked the tf and associated plumbing off on one of my 57xx. The hard part of this job is making good the damaged plastic, and mine is not bad, but not comparable with RTR).  Or can we have top feed and pipes as removable separate detail?

21 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Please remember that the 2021 is still fairly close to a 16xx. Research needed, however.

Same overall dimensions, 16xx is basically the sort of 2021 you’d build new at Swindon in the 50s, but quite different in appearance below the running plate (valance, coupling rods), and of course topfeed and cab. Then details; buffers, bunker rear hooks, that sort of thing. Might be possible to backdate 16xx to 2021 spec, though as you say, research needed. 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

And a non-topfeed boiler option.  I might be persuaded to spring for an 8750 without a top feed (already hacked the tf and associated plumbing off on one of my 57xx. The hard part of this job is making good the damaged plastic, and mine is not bad, but not comparable with RTR).  Or can we have top feed and pipes as removable separate detail?

Same overall dimensions, 16xx is basically the sort of 2021 you’d build new at Swindon in the 50s, but quite different in appearance below the running plate (valance, coupling rods), and of course topfeed and cab. Then details; buffers, bunker rear hooks, that sort of thing. Might be possible to backdate 16xx to 2021 spec, though as you say, research needed. 

I thought about that but the differences between the 2021 (and other early small wheeled Panniers) and 16xx are so great that it isn't really practical. In addition to the differences above, the 16xx had a drumhead smokebox which would require serious surgery to overcome.

I would like to see a RTR 2021 some day...

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

I have mine on pre-order at Rails. Has anybody had shipping confirmed by them yet? I'm hoping I'm not at the end of the list because of the kerfuffle of shipping to the EU.

I have one on pre order from Rails, heard nothing as yet

Terry 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Philou said:

Psst @The Johnster ...... don't tell anyone, but that nice friendly model shop in Penarth Road has some. I believe that one may be winging its way to la not-so-belle France ..... :)

My precioussssssshhhhh (with ssssssound)

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks Phillip,

Just spoken to the owner of the said model shop - late crest sound version will be winging its way to me shortly.

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Markn said:

So today is the day! 9402 has arrived.  I haven't done anything to it yet, just sat there for half an hour and stared at it.  What a model.  So much detail, very weighty, and from looks alone, well worth the wait.  I will run it later once the wife goes to work and the little one is asleep.

94xxc.JPG

Cracking sharp detailed photo :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Danemouth said:

Thanks Phillip,

Just spoken to the owner of the said model shop - late crest sound version will be winging its way to me shortly.

Dave

Dave: Does the late crest sound version sound differently from the early crest  sound version?  After all, you've said......

Only joking, Enjoy the weekend. That model does look good, fair play.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

That would be a very good justification for a re-issue or partial re-tool, as would the availability of riveted tanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think there is a bit of teasing going on here, tankerman.  They are in fact the delayed final batch of Lima 94xx of course...

You couldn't make this up; some money went out of my account this morning that I'd forgotten might be due, an annual subscription, and I've had to contact Rails to say that I won't be able to pay for my pre-order until next pension day, next Friday, embarrassing!  Tracey was very understanding and they are holding the loco for me until then; it is definitely there and if there is anything positive to be taken from this torture it is that I can forget about it for a week and concentrrate on all your lovely photos and running trials reports; Markn has already kicked this off. 

And  I've found something to complain about already, the pick up wires under the boiler and tanks, but I suspect it will not be beyond the wit of man, or even The Johnster, to 'dress' them out of sight!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Before anyone suggests cancelling Rails and getting one from Lord and Butler, can't afford that until next Friday either though it would possibly save me postage time and I'd prefer to get it from Peter.  But the price difference is too much; RRP at L&B,, £106.21 at Rails, and it's not fair to expect Peter to match that; I'm not going to insult him be asking!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I did hear on the grapevine somewhere that Hattons have acquired the toolings for the 4mm Graham Farish die cast version, to be released contemporaneously with an 81xx.

Being serious, there's a GF with a Bachmann chassis on the Bay of E at the moment which doesn't look all that bad, BR black livery, somebody's worked it up, been happy with it, and is now presumably in the game for the new Baccy.

• Like 2

I found a bit of time earlier and managed to take it apart and fit the chip.  Its very very tidy in there and its clear that time has been taken to raise everything out of sight.  The next18 chips are also tiny and very easy to fit without the (from my past experience) 21 very bendy pins.  I've got the wife out the way now, so just the little one to feed and get to sleep then I'll run it :yahoo:

94xx internals.JPG

94xx chip.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I think there is a bit of teasing going on here, tankerman.  They are in fact the delayed final batch of Lima 94xx of course...

You couldn't make this up; some money went out of my account this morning that I'd forgotten might be due, an annual subscription, and I've had to contact Rails to say that I won't be able to pay for my pre-order until next pension day, next Friday, embarrassing!  Tracey was very understanding and they are holding the loco for me until then; it is definitely there and if there is anything positive to be taken from this torture it is that I can forget about it for a week and concentrrate on all your lovely photos and running trials reports; Markn has already kicked this off. 

And  I've found something to complain about already, the pick up wires under the boiler and tanks, but I suspect it will not be beyond the wit of man, or even The Johnster, to 'dress' them out of sight!

I realise that now, although I've been a member here for quite a long time there's been a big gap where life got in the way and I'm still getting used to the banter.

Rails holding your loco for you is a good example of how building up a regular relationship with a dealer can sometimes pay dividends.

A question to which I'm sure you will know the answer, was there any noticeable difference between a 94XX and a 84XX? I've got a 94XX on order with my fellow Cornishmen down in Camborne which I'm going to renumber to 9434 and if there are any locos left over after the initial feeding frenzy I might be tempted by a second one which I'll renumber to 8421, which was also shedded at Truro. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Ah the non existent wires under the boiler and tanks! Yes quickly let’s all complain about non existent things!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, LimboBrit said:

I have mine on pre-order at Rails. Has anybody had shipping confirmed by them yet? I'm hoping I'm not at the end of the list because of the kerfuffle of shipping to the EU.

As of 17.30 pm my Rail's order from November 2019 has been put from pending to in progress and payment taken if this is of any help.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Tankerman said:

A question to which I'm sure you will know the answer, was there any noticeable difference between a 94XX and a 84XX? 

Only if you count the initial ten 94xx locomotives.
img_1669.jpg

They were ‘supplied’ with a sloping steam chest cover, none of the 84’s or later 94’s had them. Apart from that no manufacturing difference of note. Rear bunker footsteps also changed positions but that was across the whole class.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2