Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

As of 17.30 pm my Rail's order from November 2019 has been put from pending to in progress and payment taken if this is of any help.

I’m a bit worried I might end up missing out. I placed my pre-order a year later than you. I’m going to go check the order status

• Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

I’m a bit worried I might end up missing out. I placed my pre-order a year later than you. I’m going to go check the order status

I placed my order in November 2020 - and it has also been moved from pending to in progress

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, PMP said:

Ah the non existent wires under the boiler and tanks! Yes quickly let’s all complain about non existent things!

Well, something's under there in the photo.  Fair enough, not feed wires as I assumed, and they're not in Markns' topless photos, but are in his original shot, and don't come across as something in the background.  So what are they?  Nothing drastic as they are absent from the later shots, and of course I should have realised that Bachmann's normal wiring run is up the front of the ballast block/boier bottom, and this loco complise with that.

Something photographically proven to exist is not non extistant, though!

Liking the red detail, inside frame crosshead bracket I'm guessing.

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for the 94xx, in the sense that - a Farish version, N gauge - was the first 'real' loco that I bought, from Hobbytime West Wickham , in the mid 70's. I may yet buy one, on a Rule 1 basis. But in truth I think that they are ugly things. And there is scope for (again Rule 1 for me) 16xx and 15xx options instead. But good luck to those of you who 'need' a quality 94xx to replicate prototypical services.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I might have got completely the wrong end of the stick, but they do appear to be in stock with Kernow Model Rail Centre - https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/c/606/OO-Gauge

They have arrived at the Guildford store and due in Camborne Monday. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Graham_Muz said:

They have arrived at the Guildford store and due in Camborne Monday. 

That's good as according to Jethro the train doesn't stop on Wednesdays.:D Being serious that means that mine should reach the wilds of Wokingham before the weekend.:)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Philou said:

I was being naughty, I know. It's just that you've been waiting soooooooooo long for the loco, young @The Johnster, and it's just a bus ride away from you. Peter might have delivered it personally, too.

Cheers,

Philip

As he delivered mine this very afternoon. And it was not the RRP though slightly more expensive than Rails. I try to support Peter whenever I can - it's a case of use it or lose it apart from which he is friendly and very helpful.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Well, something's under there in the photo.  Fair enough, not feed wires as I assumed, and they're not in Markns' topless photos, but are in his original shot, and don't come across as something in the background.  So what are they?  Nothing drastic as they are absent from the later shots, and of course I should have realised that Bachmann's normal wiring run is up the front of the ballast block/boier bottom, and this loco complise with that.

You were quick enough to raise a complaint, rather than look at the image you were commenting on. No they’re nothing drastic, just the sanding rod levers.

And no the pickup wiring doesn’t run up the front of the boiler, so this model doesn’t ‘comply’ with that.

Try looking at the pictures closely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PMP said:

You were quick enough to raise a complaint, rather than look at the image you were commenting on. No they’re nothing drastic, just the sanding rod levers.

And no the pickup wiring doesn’t run up the front of the boiler, so this model doesn’t ‘comply’ with that.

Try looking at the pictures 

• RMweb Gold

Nice.  Little hesitant at low speed with those milk tanks but I'm sure she'll free up when she's run, and bedded, in; my other Bachmann panniers took a little while to run as freely as they can, which is fine.  The things I thought were wires are apparently sand box operating linkage, and the firebox glow is a nice feature.  Happy that mine will be a looker and a fine performer when she arrives!

Thanks for posting this, Markn; good to see a production loco finally in operation on a normal layout

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Markn said:

Here's a selection of running shots of 9402 from earlier this evening.  Lots of GWR stock (earlier era's I know, but it's what I had out) and a mix of passenger and freight.  There is some slower running towards the end and the best I could get from the firebox.

Super video – a treat to watch. Hesitancy at very low speed is very noticeable, as Johnster has observed. At one stage, she passes what I take to be a Hornby Large Prairie. What a contrast in finish! I wish Mr. Kohler would ask his “friends at Bachmann” what paint they use. I also like the brief appearance of the goddess from Olympus, last seen in the Iliad:D

Edited by No Decorum
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. Yep there does seem to be a bit of hesitancy in it at the moment when using less than 15/128 speed setting. That's a lenz silver+ chip, so it's safe to say it shouldn't be a chip issue. Hopefully like you say time and running will help.

That Large Prairie is just not on the same level compared to this in finish or performance. Everytime I get it out there's a headache with something (normally the leading or trailing wheelsets). Might just take them off and run it as a 0-6-0 :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Hello John, I 'think' you are alluding to the reversing lever, and the front sanders, as per PMP's comments. It's fairly easy to miss, as the operating rods pass between the boiler, and boiler cladding, behind the injectors. The inside frame crosshead bracket is more commonly known as a motion bracket, but you're on the right lines. I'd be very surprised if there are any wires 'up the front'. Given your prior knowledge with the 56xx & 8750, you will know the layout of the wiring on those models.   I'd be inclined to think there will be little deviation with the workings. First impressions are 'nice'. My 34xx doesn't arrive until midweek, so I need to bide my time. Local conditions  ( Con-vid ) down here are fairly strict, so frivolous journeys for 'toys' are not really on.      

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Markn said:

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it. Yep there does seem to be a bit of hesitancy in it at the moment when using less than 15/128 speed setting. That's a lenz silver+ chip, so it's safe to say it shouldn't be a chip issue. Hopefully like you say time and running will help.

That Large Prairie is just not on the same level compared to this in finish or performance. Everytime I get it out there's a headache with something (normally the leading or trailing wheelsets). Might just take them off and run it as a 0-6-0 :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your large prairie problems; mine is fine now it’s run in a bit.  Back to backs perhaps?  I’ve given it a light coat of weathering, which has improved the finish considerably.  I weather all my stock to varying degrees as I don’t like the pristine finish of models out of the box, and the 94xx when it gets here will be no exception, bit you’re right, the finish ootb is exemplary. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, have you any plans to do the 34xx and 84xx versions of the Pannier Tanks? Thanks Fred

247 Developments currently list two 34XX and 12 84XX numberplates in addition to twelve 94XX plates.   Brian currently takes orders for postal delivery so no need to wait for Bachmann if you want some variety ;)

https://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_cabside_&_smokebox.html#84XX 94XX

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

247 Developments currently list two 34XX and 12 84XX numberplates in addition to twelve 94XX plates.   Brian currently takes orders for postal delivery so no need to wait for Bachmann if you want some variety ;)

https://www.247developments.co.uk/ex_gwr_cabside_&_smokebox.html#84XX 94XX

Thanks Mike. I'll have to ask Mr Mosby for a variation (3408)

• Like 1