Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello John, I 'think' you are alluding to the reversing lever, and the front sanders, as per PMP's comments. It's fairly easy to miss, as the operating rods pass between the boiler, and boiler cladding, behind the injectors. The inside frame crosshead bracket is more commonly known as a motion bracket, but you're on the right lines. I'd be very surprised if there are any wires 'up the front'. Given your prior knowledge with the 56xx & 8750, you will know the layout of the wiring on those models.   I'd be inclined to think there will be little deviation with the workings. First impressions are 'nice'. My 34xx doesn't arrive until midweek, so I need to bide my time. Local conditions  ( Con-vid ) down here are fairly strict, so frivolous journeys for 'toys' are not really on.      

Yes, that makes sense.  The wiring run is apparently from the rear of the keeper plate up over the enclosed (for this reason I’d guess) gearbox and motor to the chip holder on the top of the bottom of boiler casting which serves as a ballast weight.  

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Thanks Mike. I'll have to ask Mr Mosby for a variation (3408)

I think Brian will oblige although it might cost a bit more for new artwork - you know where to find him (not at the Cardiff Small Show today alas - which is where quite a few of us should have been).

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think Brian will oblige although it might cost a bit more for new artwork - you know where to find him (not at the Cardiff Small Show today alas - which is where quite a few of us should have been).

Yes indeed, the Cardiff Small Show is sorely missed. An ideal tonic for the post Christmas blues. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Sorry to hear about your large prairie problems; mine is fine now it’s run in a bit.  Back to backs perhaps?  I’ve given it a light coat of weathering, which has improved the finish considerably.  I weather all my stock to varying degrees as I don’t like the pristine finish of models out of the box, and the 94xx when it gets here will be no exception, bit you’re right, the finish ootb is exemplary. 

Thanks. I tried the btb but they were alright. They lift off the track randomly, so I guess it's either not enough weight or not enough pressure. I'll have a sit down and experiment with it. Maybe a shim/washer on the retaining screws or something might help. I havnt weathered any locos yet, just stock and buildings. I'm building myself up to that level :lol:

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

He doesn't charge more if it's something that can be added to the range.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 2

A short running session featuring the all new Bachmann / Locomotion Models GWR 9400 Class 0-6-0PT edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of similar locomotives from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see No. 9400 action in museum standard GWR Green, hauling a short demonstration goods train.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Hi there.

How was it at slower speeds?

The other video was not convincing - seemed to judder / have a tight spot.

This later '88' video seemed fine, but she was running faster.

Al.

You have made a very good point. Most videos show locomotives running quite quickly. The inertia smooths out the running. What I want to see in every locomotive video is how it runs at very low speed. We need every locomotive to be able to run smoothly at very low speed. Obviously, it’s very important for shunters but every model should be able to start and stop smoothly. All too often, I see model trains start off with sports car acceleration or perform an “emergency stop”. It isn’t realistic. The Johnster is sceptical about flywheels. I think they are useful but they don’t do their job until speed has built up a little – that depends on the quality of the motor, transmission and assembly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Anyone test run a 94xx on DC at low speed yet, and for smooth stops and starts?  I’m confident the loco will perform well in these respects; Bachmann are good at this, and of course running in improves it. 

I used to be a big fan of flywheels but have become a sceptic; they are of least use at low speeds when they are most needed and my view now is that the space, at a premium in smaller locos anyway, can be better utilised.  I’d like to see some sort of DC stayalive, but have no idea how this could be achieved!

Smooth running at low speeds is vital on my BLT layout for all and any locos, as every train must smoothly stop and start, and all but the autos need to shunt or at least run around and set back; even the autos sometimes set back and draw forward to take water.  To be fair none perform badly, but one or two have needed a bit of tweaking to unlock their potential best.  Sometimes a half turn widdershins of a keeper plate screw makes the difference, and additional ballast is never a bad idea. 

What about haulage?  Bachmann driving wheels are highly polished and do not grip to their potential best until this surface has roughened up at a microscopic level with mileage (perhaps the slipping speeds up the process).  Never quantified it, but I reckon a well run in Baccy loco, in almost daily use for a few months, can manage 3 or 4 of my loaded minerals more than it could straight out of the box and given half an hour’s run in each direction, perhaps a 15 or 20% improvement.  

• RMweb Premium

https://albionyard.net/2020/11/27/Bachmann-94xx-pannier-review-35-025/

There’s a review here of it. There’s no problem with slow running or haulage.

Flywheels are excellent in assisting smooth running. You only have to compare the Hornby J15 vs the Hornby Drummond 700 to see the benefit.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Anyone test run a 94xx on DC at low speed yet, and for smooth stops and starts?  I’m confident the loco will perform well in these respects; Bachmann are good at this, and of course running in improves it. 

I used to be a big fan of flywheels but have become a sceptic; they are of least use at low speeds when they are most needed and my view now is that the space, at a premium in smaller locos anyway, can be better utilised.  I’d like to see some sort of DC stayalive, but have no idea how this could be achieved!

Smooth running at low speeds is vital on my BLT layout for all and any locos, as every train must smoothly stop and start, and all but the autos need to shunt or at least run around and set back; even the autos sometimes set back and draw forward to take water.  To be fair none perform badly, but one or two have needed a bit of tweaking to unlock their potential best.  Sometimes a half turn widdershins of a keeper plate screw makes the difference, and additional ballast is never a bad idea. 

What about haulage?  Bachmann driving wheels are highly polished and do not grip to their potential best until this surface has roughened up at a microscopic level with mileage (perhaps the slipping speeds up the process).  Never quantified it, but I reckon a well run in Baccy loco, in almost daily use for a few months, can manage 3 or 4 of my loaded minerals more than it could straight out of the box and given half an hour’s run in each direction, perhaps a 15 or 20% improvement.  

DCC only here sorry, but I'll do a test later with 25 or so 16t kit built wagons. I've added 50g of lead to each one so they roll better, but they are a heavy rake. I've got a couple of 56xx to compare it to as they are not shy at pulling.

I took the keeper plate off, oiled the gears and couplings and it's done just over an hour so far... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, not an expert so can someone confirm that the Bachmann model of 9487 has a tall safety valve as I want to renumber it as 9466 which definitely had one. Thanks Fred 

Bachmann's 9487 has a short safety valve cover. Bachmann is not doing a tall safety valve cover. I have not seen a tall safety valve cover on a standard 10 boiler, except for Collett Goods 3206. So tall covers did exist on standard 10s, but must have been very rare. I think the valves themselves were all short ones on standard 10s.

But yer never know with Swindon boilers...

Edited by Miss Prism
sorry, typo on Collett Goods number
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Bachmann's 9487 has a short safety valve cover. Bachmann is not doing a tall safety valve cover. I have not seen a tall safety valve cover on a standard 10 boiler, except for Collett Goods 3205. So tall covers did exist on standard 10s, but must have been very rare. I think the valves themselves were all short ones on standard 10s.

Looking at photos 9466 as preserved seems to have the same safety valve cover as the model; what might cause it to look bigger is that it is polished rather than painted 

GWR Green photo    BR Black photo

Possible future collectors club model ?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

9466 originally had a short S/V cover as built, however at some point it obviously did receive one, boiler swap 1957 in its history, and was possibly unique in that respect.

http://www.9466.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/original/public/BR_K.jpg?itok=0_E0wXeU

So yes you can use the Bachmann model to replicate it in it’s early BR years without changing the valve cover, if you want to do a later version you’ll need a replacement safety valve.

Edited by PMP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Which is available from several sources as a retofit detailing item, but one must grit one's teeth as one takes a tool to remove the existing one with extreme prejudice... Some of these retrofits have the advantage of being turned brass but this really doesn't matter with a 94xx which, although they had copper capped chimneys, always had the SV bonnets painted over.  These brass bonnets date back to Gooch I believe, and I'm sure I once read or an old driver told me or something that they were designed to project the noise of blowing off SVs skywards away from people on the ground or platforms.  GW locos were perceptibly quieter than the LMS and BR standards I was familiar with as a kid when blowing off steam, even the higher pressure Hawksworth Counties.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

You have made a very good point. Most videos show locomotives running quite quickly. The inertia smooths out the running. What I want to see in every locomotive video is how it runs at very low speed. We need every locomotive to be able to run smoothly at very low speed. Obviously, it’s very important for shunters but every model should be able to start and stop smoothly. All too often, I see model trains start off with sports car acceleration or perform an “emergency stop”. It isn’t realistic. The Johnster is sceptical about flywheels. I think they are useful but they don’t do their job until speed has built up a little – that depends on the quality of the motor, transmission and assembly.

15 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Hi there.

How was it at slower speeds?

The other video was not convincing - seemed to judder / have a tight spot.

This later '88' video seemed fine, but she was running faster.

Al.

Ran very well at slow speeds and ever a crawl. Sadly I didn't have any sound clips of the loco running that slow to added to it

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3