Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have an email from Cornwall advising me that a package has been despatched in my direction today.  As far as I can remember my only current outstanding order with Kernow is for a 94XX so that must be what's coming unless it's a package of pasties.  As the latter are manufactured here by herself to a traditional recipe from that part of the world I have no need for imports of them (see below) so it's probably the 94XX on its way.

pasties.jpg.75a8baee0a3b75cd2f90c28dc7ce386f.jpg

Now we need a Jealous button.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

A cucumber?

A Pan Ear shaped cucumber. :prankster:

Wasn't really after a GWR version as I've got a SE Finecast version that was going to be one of those. But they started to look lonely when it got down to five. Besides I wanted something else and it got over the threshold for free postage so "saved" £4.

Down to one in Cornwall. I doubt there will be any left in the morning.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have an email from Cornwall advising me that a package has been despatched in my direction today.  As far as I can remember my only current outstanding order with Kernow is for a 94XX so that must be what's coming unless it's a package of pasties.  As the latter are manufactured here by herself to a traditional recipe from that part of the world I have no need for imports of them (see below) so it's probably the 94XX on its way.

pasties.jpg.75a8baee0a3b75cd2f90c28dc7ce386f.jpg

Hang on Mike, I'm just getting in the car.....

No, I'm not really, but a fresh pasty  is a tempting diversion, and I've not had my brekkie yet.... 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

You might try the Railway Shop  at Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway  ( 01495 792263 ).  The staff up there are very helpful. I reserved my model a few days back, just need to pick it up at a mutually & socially-distanced time slot.  

Cheers,

Ian.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

You might try the Railway Shop  at Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway  ( 01495 792263 ).  The staff up there are very helpful. I reserved my model a few days back, just need to pick it up at a mutually & socially-distanced time slot.  

Cheers,

Ian.  

I didn't realise the shop was still able to open at the moment. Awaiting a few items myself. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My 94xx happily trundling round my layout at low speed. Even without the extra details fitted it looks very highly detailed and it has been well worth the wait. Hang on in there Johnster - you will be delighted, I promise you!

20210127_130139.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 89A said:

I didn't realise the shop was still able to open at the moment. Awaiting a few items myself. 

You need to arrange a suitable time slot, due to this Con-Vid malarkey.  The team up there do have their FB page running. I've just collected my late-emblem 94xx.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Locomotion No. 3
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Still waiting for my Locomotion 9400... 

Can you please contact Stuart at Locomotion Models regarding your order.

He has tried to contact you and has left messages for you to contact him.

Dennis Lovett

Exclusive Models Marketing Manager

Locomotion Models

Edited by Locomotion No. 3
Clarification

• RMweb Gold

My BR black 94XX arrived today, with many thanks to Not Captain Kernow and his team at Camborne for prompt despatch.

I think I must have become a little too immersed in the 'Johnster Effect', as I had been really looking forward to receiving this loco.

I got it out of the box this afternoon and had a look at it. It must feature one of the best and most detailed RTR loco bodies that I've ever seen. It looks simply magnificent.

I put it on my test track, which is one yard of OO and P4 dual-gauge track, consisting of standard code 75 bullhead rail, directly soldered to copper clad sleepers. The coreless motor responded reasonably well to my bog-standard Gaugemaster DC controller, a tight spot or two, which I felt would have eased with some running in.

Now, I know that this loco has been eagerly awaited by many and I really, really don't want to sound overly negative or rain on anyone's parade, but what happened next left me feeling extremely disappointed, but perhaps not that surprised.

I put the 94XX on 'Bethesda Sidings', which features standard C&L chaired bullhead track and applied some power.

Nothing.

I gave it a tap, and the loco lurched and stuttered a few inches and stalled again. This was repeated a couple of times and I then realised that the Bachmann flanges were fouling the chairs below.

Without serious work in terms of reducing the flanges, this loco was not going to run on 'Bethesda Sidings'.

Just to be on the safe side, I got my 8750 pannier out, which features the original Bachmann chassis and that ran just fine on the layout, just like it did the last time I ran it.

I've had this problem with Bachmann steam outline locos before, that of inconsistent flange profiles between different steam locos from the same manufacturer.

A few years ago, I had hoped to run a Crab and a Standard 5 on 'Engine Wood', but neither would run smoothly, due to the deeper flanges fouling the chaired C&L track. At that time, I contacted Alan Gibson to order a replacement set of wheels. He was incredulous that I found it necessary to do that for a loco that would stay in OO gauge, he had assumed that I wanted an EM or P4 set.

In the end, I didn't convert the locos, they got sold on, unconverted, during a major clear-out and the wheels got sold separately.

I've even found inconsistent wheel flange profiles on the same Bachmann loco, such as the WD 2-8-0. Fortunately in this case, the driving wheels had the same flange profile as the 8750 pannier and I only had to change the pony and tender wheels (for Markits ones).

So, as I said, I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

I can't vouch how these 94XXs will fare on other makes of chaired bullhead track, but mine is the original C&L product from a few years ago and it just doesn't like it.

So if you are getting one of these 94XXs and are expecting to run them smoothly on C&L chaired bullhead track - you have been warned!

So, what now for the 94XX? It really would have been too heavy for 'Bethesda Sidings' in real life, so I am almost certainly going to keep it and convert it to P4 with a High Level chassis and run it on 'Callow Lane'. It might even make it to the Forest of Dean (over specially strengthened bridges!).

Let's hope that the Rapido-Model Rail 16XX doesn't give the same problems. No reason to assume it will, but my experiences of many RTR steam-outline locos these days hasn't been that good. I shall hope for the best!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Informative/Useful 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

In the same vein of not wanting to p... on anybody's parade I have heard that the clearances inside the splashers are tight for those - like me - wishing to convert the model to one of the wider gauges.  Mine hasn't arrived yet but from the photos I have seen it looks to be a superb looking model and I hope to convert it to EM gauge in due course.  I'll be interested to hear what you think Tim if you are contemplating conversion to P4 - can it be done?

It is as you say Tim a superb looking model and after the disappointment of the Dapol GWR Mogul shows what can be done by manufacturers.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I'll be interested to hear what you think Tim if you are contemplating conversion to P4 - can it be done?

Well, watch this space, but I think you have time to go off and make a cup of tea, a few sandwiches and perhaps take several holidays (when it's allowed again!).

Perhaps more crucially, how much material can be removed by a rotary tool, without compromising the sides of the splashers?

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

My BR black 94XX arrived today, with many thanks to Not Captain Kernow and his team at Camborne for prompt despatch.

I think I must have become a little too immersed in the 'Johnster Effect', as I had been really looking forward to receiving this loco.

I got it out of the box this afternoon and had a look at it. It must feature one of the best and most detailed RTR loco bodies that I've ever seen. It looks simply magnificent.

I put it on my test track, which is one yard of OO and P4 dual-gauge track, consisting of standard code 75 bullhead rail, directly soldered to copper clad sleepers. The coreless motor responded reasonably well to my bog-standard Gaugemaster DC controller, a tight spot or two, which I felt would have eased with some running in.

Now, I know that this loco has been eagerly awaited by many and I really, really don't want to sound overly negative or rain on anyone's parade, but what happened next left me feeling extremely disappointed, but perhaps not that surprised.

I put the 94XX on 'Bethesda Sidings', which features standard C&L chaired bullhead track and applied some power.

Nothing.

I gave it a tap, and the loco lurched and stuttered a few inches and stalled again. This was repeated a couple of times and I then realised that the Bachmann flanges were fouling the chairs below.

Without serious work in terms of reducing the flanges, this loco was not going to run on 'Bethesda Sidings'.

Just to be on the safe side, I got my 8750 pannier out, which features the original Bachmann chassis and that ran just fine on the layout, just like it did the last time I ran it.

I've had this problem with Bachmann steam outline locos before, that of inconsistent flange profiles between different steam locos from the same manufacturer.

A few years ago, I had hoped to run a Crab and a Standard 5 on 'Engine Wood', but neither would run smoothly, due to the deeper flanges fouling the chaired C&L track. At that time, I contacted Alan Gibson to order a replacement set of wheels. He was incredulous that I found it necessary to do that for a loco that would stay in OO gauge, he had assumed that I wanted an EM or P4 set.

In the end, I didn't convert the locos, they got sold on, unconverted, during a major clear-out and the wheels got sold separately.

I've even found inconsistent wheel flange profiles on the same Bachmann loco, such as the WD 2-8-0. Fortunately in this case, the driving wheels had the same flange profile as the 8750 pannier and I only had to change the pony and tender wheels (for Markits ones).

So, as I said, I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

I can't vouch how these 94XXs will fare on other makes of chaired bullhead track, but mine is the original C&L product from a few years ago and it just doesn't like it.

So if you are getting one of these 94XXs and are expecting to run them smoothly on C&L chaired bullhead track - you have been warned!

So, what now for the 94XX? It really would have been too heavy for 'Bethesda Sidings' in real life, so I am almost certainly going to keep it and convert it to P4 with a High Level chassis and run it on 'Callow Lane'. It might even make it to the Forest of Dean (over specially strengthened bridges!).

Let's hope that the Rapido-Model Rail 16XX doesn't give the same problems. No reason to assume it will, but my experiences of many RTR steam-outline locos these days hasn't been that good. I shall hope for the best!

Anybody run this successfully on Peco bullhead code 75 track?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Really nice little loco this.

i went for the sound version, which uses a ESU Loksound V5 micro decoder and SWD file.

the sound file is iffy, you can hear the sound looping over quite noticeably on the whistles and drain cocks ect.

have fitted a second speaker and a train-o-matic stay alive which has helped.

i would put a picture up, but after months they still havent fixed RMWeb rotating pictures from an iphone with no option to correct.

inside is spacious, with the weights removed on one side i got both the stay alive and speaker in the same side of the water tank.

lights, 9466 renumber and crew next.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1