Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

Definitely had at least one Barclay with a funny cab.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devonport-Dockyard-Railway-Paul-Burkhalter/dp/0906294371

Scroll through here for others such as Avonsides, Hawthorn Leslies and Bagnalls 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/devonport-dockyard-plymouth/hA11D54BB#ha11d54bb

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Not sure about Pecketts - they certainly had Bagnalls ....................................... now where's that book ?

Actually I think it was Bagnalls and Barclays...…...now where's that book!!!!!?:rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Definitely had at least one Barclay with a funny cab.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Devonport-Dockyard-Railway-Paul-Burkhalter/dp/0906294371

Scroll through here for others such as Avonsides, Hawthorn Leslies and Bagnalls 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/industrial-and-light/industrial-steam/devonport-dockyard-plymouth/hA11D54BB#ha11d54bb

Jason

Ooooh ta Jason. I'd forgotten that book......ummmmm! That cab rear hump/lump is the handbrake shaft top wheel 'space' I think?

Thanks for the links.

P

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Ooooh ta Jason. I'd forgotten that book......ummmmm! That cab rear hump/lump is the handbrake shaft top wheel 'space' I think?

Thanks for the links.

P

Yes, the 'hump' was most definitely the space created to use the handbrake.

Ian

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

O for crying out... calm, Johnster, calm now.  Can't see where it states this on the 'availability' link, which is about models just released so far as I can make out, although perhaps I am missing something, wouldn't be the first time...  The online catalogue is still showing the same prototype photos that have been up for a few years now, though we know progress has been made because we've seen photos of the engineering samples.  At least the price hasn't gone up yet.  Being put back from May to September isn't on it's own that much of a deal, of course, but given Bachmann's poisonous reputation for long lead times and the damage it must be doing to the company's image, and that this loco will have been over 5 years since the announcement, it is certainly a bit of a disappointment!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

In any case no use to me; like all previous 94xx models it's only capable of representing 9400-9409, the GW built locos, not the 200 BR built versions that do not have the cylinder cover between the frames ahead of the smokebox above the running plate.  This is a very difficult conversion to attempt.  To be fair to Locomotion, they are marketing the 'National Collection in Miniature', and 9400 is the only valid prototype in the class for them.

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The Bachmann website gets progressively worse.

In line with Bachmann's lead times.

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just spotted on the Locomotion stand..

Delightful layout, delightful model and delightful photograph with beautiful lighting. Thank you. The model is described as having a “slight museum sheen finish”. I might be catching Johnsteritis! 

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Delightful layout, delightful model and delightful photograph with beautiful lighting. Thank you. The model is described as having a “slight museum sheen finish”. I might be catching Johnsteritis! 

There is no known cure...  

Captures the chunky somewhat awkward look of these locos very well. 

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

You can tell if you have it bad. You start thinking about coalmines, rain and sheep....

:P

Jason

To a backing track of Treorchy Male Voice singing something religious and gloomy...  

Cure is to watch Wales (or anyone) beating England (at anything) and a temporary palliative application of a Limbach 94xx.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

As we say in South Wales, tidy, like, innit?  Maybe a trick of the light but it looks to me as if 9487 has separate, possibly etched brass, number plates, whereas 9402 has the usual printed ones.  Mine will be renumbered in any case as 8448, which wasn't built until 1954 and has black backed number plates, but if this is the start of separate brass plates being fitted to RTR models, I applaud it!

3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

As we say in South Wales, tidy, like, innit?  Maybe a trick of the light but it looks to me as if 9487 has separate, possibly etched brass, number plates, whereas 9402 has the usual printed ones.  Mine will be renumbered in any case as 8448, which wasn't built until 1954 and has black backed number plates, but if this is the start of separate brass plates being fitted to RTR models, I applaud it!

Bachmann models normally have etched plates.

Found in the little bag with things like pipes and couplings.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

None of mine ever have, and I haven't noticed this on models on display in shops either.  Nameplates perhaps, but not brass numberplates on GW models.  The photo of 9402 is more like what I am familiar with.   As much as I applaud the idea, this would be conditional on the plates being removable, and I am in practice happy with printed plates which can act as a positioning guide for my own retrofitted brass plates.

Mine has to be 8448, built in 1954 and allox to Tondu from new, spent it's entire short working life at the shed and withdrawn 1959, AFAIK the only loco that spent an entire working life there and thus the seminal Tondu loco...  I already have the plates on my current 94xx, a Limbach, which will be replaced by the Baccy when it turns up.  Red backed number plates are wrong for a 1954 built loco anyway, but fine for 9487.  

Edited by The Johnster

A look at some of the latest models and prototypes from Bachmann Europe, filmed on their Roadshow Stand at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition 2019. 
Highlights included the all new Midland Railway 1532 Class Johnson 1P 0-4-4T's, GWR 9400 Class 0-6-0PT 'Panniers',  British Rail Class 24/1 and Quarry Hunslets, plus the Proses MPD / Engine Shed with Operating Doors and Lighting, as well as many other exciting developments cross the range.
Hope you enjoy!

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2019 at 11:37, The Johnster said:

In any case no use to me; like all previous 94xx models it's only capable of representing 9400-9409, the GW built locos, not the 200 BR built versions that do not have the cylinder cover between the frames ahead of the smokebox above the running plate.  This is a very difficult conversion to attempt. 

I think the pictures that have since followed have answered this ?

9479 doesnt have a plate covering the section between the frames beneath the smokebox ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1