Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

This is an offcut of SMP left over from the construction of Bath Green Park (so c2000) and pre-painted by Norman before laying.

As you can see, the tops of the chairs taper in under the rail head, upon further interrogation of my memory cells, I think the issue with C&L track of that time, was that the chairs, whilst no higher, had flat tops that stuck inwards between the rails. That's why some wheels hit them, and I think it happened with older (1960s/70s) Romfords too.

John

Disclaimer: C&L has changed hands at least a couple of times since then, and has probably been retooled.

P1280270er.jpg

Off thread...

yup I agree that C&L certainly had chair bumping issues, as you say and the ‘coarse scale’ Romfords used to hit them. I seem to recall SMP though (80’s) didn’t have those problems.

And back on thread...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

I notice that I have, at some time, fitted my WD with Markits tender wheels, so maybe the flanges on the loco are shallower

Exactly so, John.

On mine, the tender and pony wheels had deeper flanges than the driving wheels. Fortunately that was a relatively easy fix, as you also found out and it meant that the loco remained viable for me to continue using.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PMP said:

Off thread...

yup I agree that C&L certainly had chair bumping issues, as you say and the ‘coarse scale’ Romfords used to hit them. I seem to recall SMP though (80’s) didn’t have those problems.

And back on thread...

Apologies for dragging things:offtopic: So easy to just get caught up with one or two posts and forget about the original theme.:triniti:

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The only commonality I have found with recent RTR wheel standards is that there isn't any. Just getting a reasonably similar b-t-b seems an achievement in itself. As far as getting clearance between splashers for the wider gauges goes this seems if anything more problematic these days due I think to the not unreasonable desire to get outside splasher distances more to scale which in combination with the adoption of cast footplates means inside distances are often quite a bit less than in the past and often not sufficient without a lot of work with burrs etc.

Although 22mm is often seen as enough with plastic footplates I feel that 23mm is needed to ensure that shorting doesn't occurr while allowing a modicum of sideplay with metal ones such as the cast ones now being used. I don't know what material the 94xx has but I fear a fair bit of work will be needed whether for EM or P4 whatever the case.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

They're on the front splasher behind the spare lamp irons.

Hmmm. They're not present on the preserved 9466. (Although its plates might have been nicked a long time ago.)

Note the white-tipped lamp irons. (!)

Edit: There's a few on Rail-Online where the plate is just about visible. Attached to the left-hand side splasher only, a la 57xx.

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold

I now own :yahoo:(but do not yet possess) a Bachmann 94xx, having contacted Rails this morning and given them my money.  It’s just the delivery now; when will this torture end...

I will, next week, order 8448 nameplates from Railtec for it and, in the meantime, find a source of Bagnall builder’s plates (9487 comes with Stepenson’s plated correct for that loco.  Oh, and a Modelu crew!

Preciousssssssss. 

Where’s a Gollum emoji when you need one...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I now own :yahoo:(but do not yet possess) a Bachmann 94xx, having contacted Rails this morning and given them my money.  It’s just the delivery now; when will this torture end...

I will, next week, order 8448 nameplates from Railtec for it and, in the meantime, find a source of Bagnall builder’s plates (9487 comes with Stepenson’s plated correct for that loco.  Oh, and a Modelu crew!

Preciousssssssss. 

Where’s a Gollum emoji when you need one...

There'll be one about a mile from you by 1.49 today, if an email from Royal Mail to me is to be believed.....

Edited by Tim Hall
Typo

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Hmmm. They're not present on the preserved 9466. (Although its plates might have been nicked a long time ago.)

Note the white-tipped lamp irons. (!)

Edit: There's a few on Rail-Online where the plate is just about visible. Attached to the left-hand side splasher only, a la 57xx.

That'll be the late Dennis Howells. He was absolutely determined to have the loco in green. which was why it masqueraded as 9404. No doubt the plate (s) were stolen at Barry, and there wasn't a great rush to replace them.

• Informative/Useful 1

On a different note, has anyone else out there had problems with the rear steps broken off ? Have now had 3 arrive, and 2 out 3 (both variants - rear facing bufferbeam mounted steps and side facing) have both suffered from the issue, one losing both, the other 1 only. In both cases, the steps were rattling about in the plastic packaging.

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

My steps are OK - but they're a right fiddle to get back into that packaging ..... obviously some don't make it in the first place !

Yes, looking at 9402 the GWR one then I think the knack is to get the rear steps in their recesses then push the front running plate gently down. Extremely snug though - not surprised they're getting breakages (redesign Bachmann ?). I was very surprised, however, to have the issue with a BR Black one as well, ie, the side facing steps. And there probably isn't enough contact area to successfully repair.

As always, a disappointment - you read great reviews, look forward to your model arriving, open the parcel and even before you get round to extracting the model you can see the bits floating around and know nuts, it's broken.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the headsup about this; clearly the model needs very careful unpacking.  Not a disaster if the bits are in the box, but good to be aware of it to prevent losing them or further damage.  Had a brand new 42xx from Hornby that had shed it's couplings and a buffer at each end, then continued to drop bits in service; vac. bags, the other buffers.  I now gently tug such items and glue them in if they are loose or come off in 'me 'ands, guv, 'onest.

A packaging retool should not be expensive or difficult...

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

There'll be one about a mile from you by 1.49 today, if an email from Royal Mail to me is to be believed.....

Well done Tim, you must be counting down the seconds and looking out the window!

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

That'll be the late Dennis Howells. He was absolutely determined to have the loco in green. which was why it masqueraded as 9404. No doubt the plate (s) were stolen at Barry, and there wasn't a great rush to replace them.

Presumably he had his reasons.  I can recall a time when it was next to impossible to see one on a magazing feature layout or at a show in BR livery, and many were in earlier GW liveries and fully lined out!  Did he have the cover plates between the frames ahead of the smokebox?

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Presumably he had his reasons.  I can recall a time when it was next to impossible to see one on a magazing feature layout or at a show in BR livery, and many were in earlier GW liveries and fully lined out!  Did he have the cover plates between the frames ahead of the smokebox?

I can't remember all of the detail, but he was on a mission to have the loco ready for GW150. 

Works plates. Try Narrow Planet.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles

Fantastic plates but more aimed at the industrials and narrow gauge than main line railways. They also do one offs of things like smokebox door numbers.

Here's the Bagnall one.

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/works-plate-styles/products/npp-2104

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I can't remember all of the detail, but he was on a mission to have the loco ready for GW150. 

Which was successful; I had a go at firing it at Maindy open day, along with Iron Duke.  It ran Radyr trips to Maindy during the preceeding week, including one via Central and Queen Street!

• Like 1