Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

They had to come to Swindon for acceptance I believe, and probably came under their own steam by whatever route was appropriate, possibly in groups of 2 or 3 from each contractor.  From Stafford I'd have thought Birmingham thence OWW to Didcot and GWML, but this is assumption on my part.  From Leeds or Newcastle the route would probably be Midland via BNS and Gloucester then Swindon via Stroud, again conjecture.

Just now, The Johnster said:

They had to come to Swindon for acceptance I believe, and probably came under their own steam by whatever route was appropriate, possibly in groups of 2 or 3 from each contractor.  From Stafford I'd have thought Birmingham thence OWW to Didcot and GWML, but this is assumption on my part.  From Leeds or Newcastle the route would probably be Midland via BNS and Gloucester then Swindon via Stroud, again conjecture.

More likely via the LNWR. They had a more generous loading gauge than most other railways and GWR locomotives were allowed. Even things like Castles.

Just not via the L&Y and Berry Brow where the Grange hit the platform.... 

Jason

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I sat up and took notice when 8444 was mentioned; my chosen prototype is 8448 from the same batch of Bagnalls, which would have meant it having a cast iron plate as well, but they were I am reasonably certain all brass.  8448 was one of the shortest lived locos, built 6/54 and withdrawn 8/59, just over 4 years during which it was probably never cleaned and certainly never overhauled or repainted, hauling 2 or 3 coach passenger trains around the Tondu Valleys.  It must have been withdrawn in near perfect condition, barely run in...  I regard it as the ultimate Tondu allocation, the only loco AFAIK that spent it's entire working life at the shed, and which never went further than it's delivery run from Bagnall's to Swindon for acceptance then light to Tondu.

Dear Johnster you need to brush up on your maths. 5years 2 months! Wasn't actually scrapped until Dec 60.

The first to go was 9499 at just 4y 2m, 8448 was the 4th after 8447 (2nd) and 9492 (3rd).

Incidentally, even at 5y 2m 8448 outlasted 92220 which was 5y 0m, closely followed with other 9Fs of the last Swindon built batch. What a waste.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

More likely via the LNWR. They had a more generous loading gauge than most other railways and GWR locomotives were allowed. Even things like Castles.

Jason

94xx were allowed in places where outside cylinders were not, even on the WR. Three possibles for Bagnalls were

Stafford to Wellington and back to Wolverhampton 

Stafford, Bushbury and Cannock Road,

Stafford, Rugeley, walsall to the OWW at Dudley.

33 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Could the Bagnalls have gone to Stafford Road for acceptance? They could then have gone to South Wales via Worcester and Hereford.

The OWW didn't go to Birmingham, ir went from Wolverhampton to Worcester via Dudley. 

Not sure where you got Leeds as Yorkshire Engine Co.  was based at Sheffield.

The locos from the northeast would go via the Camp Hill line if they went on the Midland. They could then have gone via Bordesley to get onto the WR. All speculation as they could equally have gone via the GC and Banbury or Wichnor, Walsall and Dudley.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

34 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

The Midland and LNWR had identical structure gauge width at 9' 0" but the Midland was 3 inches taller at 13' 9"* (taller than the "Western!")

*(Figure from Midland Railway official documents)

Never saw any new loco deliveries via BNS, the only GWR loco I ever saw in the 50s at New St.  was a Prairie tank on short goods

Halls could be seen on the Midland lines around Birmingham in BR days

e.g. King's Heath:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrkh744.htm

mrkh744.jpg

Saltley:

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/mrsalt1267.htm

mrsalt1267.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Dear Johnster you need to brush up on your maths. 5years 2 months! Wasn't actually scrapped until Dec 60.

The first to go was 9499 at just 4y 2m, 8448 was the 4th after 8447 (2nd) and 9492 (3rd).

Incidentally, even at 5y 2m 8448 outlasted 92220 which was 5y 0m, closely followed with other 9Fs of the last Swindon built batch. What a waste.

Another senior moment, yes of course, 5 years and a bit. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Halls could be seen on the Midland lines around Birmingham in BR days

94xx were cleared for running as far as Washwood Heath. One did visit New Street piloting a Peak on the northbound Devonian.

Halls had a regular turn via Lickey and Camp Hill, although they were also cleared via certain platforms at New Street and eventually as far as Burton. A Hall was also photographed on a summer Saturday train at Walsall.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2

Has anyone's firebox glow stopped working on DC? I have two 94xx now, one NRM 9400 and the GWR 9402. I had the NRM 9400 for a week before 9402 arrived. Both have received a light running in. Doesn't work in either direction. Any ideas what happened or ideas to fix it? Or should I contact Bachmann? 

5 hours ago, Ribird said:

Has anyone's firebox glow stopped working on DC? I have two 94xx now, one NRM 9400 and the GWR 9402. I had the NRM 9400 for a week before 9402 arrived. Both have received a light running in. Doesn't work in either direction. Any ideas what happened or ideas to fix it? Or should I contact Bachmann? 

On mine, it is not discerible at prototypical speeds - but it glows like a minor volcano if you open the regulator right up!

Such things are a gimmick for the kiddies, IMHO.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Agree 8

5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. Like kiddies are buying models that cost £100s of pounds like Stirling Singles....

Those expensive European and American models have it as well. 

Jason

That doesn't alter my opinion - and, for what it's worth, the same goes for sound in my book.

But, then again, I am an old-fashioned, grumpy old git - so who cares?

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I wish I still had my copy of E R Mountford's book, which went AWOL during one of the many moves of my unsettled post-divorce existence, but IIRC he states that the maverick Caerphilly obeyed the instructions from Swindon in this matter.  They liked red paint at Caerphilly, though, and would paint reversing rods in it at the drop of a hat.

Mountford says (in 'Caerphilly Works'),

"Following a suggestion by a member of the public, in November 1949 it was instructed that the background of G.W.R. number-plates were to be painted red instead of black, the instruction not applying to smokebox plates. This practice lasted until April 1952 when, following numerous complaints from railway enthusiasts, particularly photographers, the black background was restored."

No mention of any deviation from Swindon.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

That doesn't alter my opinion - and, for what it's worth, the same goes for sound in my book.

But, then again, I am an old-fashioned, grumpy old git - so who cares?

John Isherwood.

Join the club 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I remain very puzzled by this apparent fascination with firebox glow.  Anyone would think that engines ran around all the time with open firebox doors.  Taht was a long way from the truth because you only open the doors to actually fire the engine, leaving them open is a route to cold air getting onto the firebox in exactly the wrong place.  so intermittent firebox glow would make sense but no more than that.  

As for steam sound I'm still waiting for somebody to get it right although the Accurascale multi-speaker arrangement for the Manor does give cause for long overdue hope in that respect.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Stationmaster said:

I remain very puzzled by this apparent fascination with firebox glow.  Anyone would think that engines ran around all the time with open firebox doors.  Taht was a long way from the truth because you only open the doors to actually fire the engine, leaving them open is a route to cold air getting onto the firebox in exactly the wrong place.  so intermittent firebox glow would make sense but no more than that.  

As for steam sound I'm still waiting for somebody to get it right although the Accurascale multi-speaker arrangement for the Manor does give cause for long overdue hope in that respect.

Quite.  In fact it needs to be most prevalent when the loco is stationary, and the fireman opens the door for cooking or to keep her quiet in the station.  Sound has potential IMHO but the pathetic little speakers and bursts of white noise don't cut it for me; I think the answer is hi fi headphones and some sort of postitioning device on the loco so that it appears to come from the right direction, maybe even doppler on passing expresses...

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Quite.  In fact it needs to be most prevalent when the loco is stationary, and the fireman opens the door for cooking or to keep her quiet in the station.  Sound has potential IMHO but the pathetic little speakers and bursts of white noise don't cut it for me; I think the answer is hi fi headphones and some sort of postitioning device on the loco so that it appears to come from the right direction, maybe even doppler on passing expresses...

I agree with you in the main though there are a small number of very very good sound projects that make a proportionate noise and successfully mimic the functions of a real loco. ‘Pauliebanger’ on here produces some masterful projects - I have his current J72 project from digitrains and it is superbly subtle :)

• RMweb Gold

At the time of your posting, the sun came out over here. How did you manage that?

You really do need sound. As the loco moves from the fiddle yard, it's Handel's Messiah.... Or....

" I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date. No time to say Hello! - Goodbye!

I'm late, I'm Late  I'm late....

• Funny 3