Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

Following my recent posting regarding binding slow running,I have carefully looked at the chassis again and I think the the problem may be the con rod on the driven axle to the centre driver is tight .the centre driver to the front axle is fine with small amount of play.if the con rod hole to the crank pin were reamed slightly,very slightly...it may allow a bit more play and overcome this small resistance, which is why it is ok at higher speed steps.

Anybody with this problem check their model and feedback ?

Before I sent mine back I was advised to try setting CV54 to 0 to allow the decoder to have another go at fixing this. It didn't work, it actually make it quite a bit worse with an added lurch at the start. I have now received a replacement and it's running perfectly. Having spoken to my retailer they said the slow speed stutter is a known problem, but they've probably had the usual about of returns of this model. So this isn't an issue with every one. Probably just the vocal, unlucky few on the forums desperate for help giving the impression that all these models have issues. I'm sure there are many quiet happy customers.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, mine arrived and I was going to give it a run, which I did belatedly. Here are my thoughts:

Nothing was adrift in the packing and having been forewarned, the loco was extracted with care from its cradle and no damaged steps. I have but a yard of track upon which to run it (don't laugh) - so no long running-in at the moment.

It's a DCC sound one but due to a major mishap (no sniggering at the back), I have no DCC so it's plain vanilla DC via a very old Gaugemaster P controller (with brake simulation). All set up ready to go and - nothing. A quick wipe of the track with a rubber and - nothing. However, on closer observation, there was firebox glow (yellow and red) so power coming through and I waited at least - ooooh I dunno - a half a second and the sound of shoveling took place with the sound of the firebox door opening and closing. Steam sound comes into play plus the GWR 'fart' and it set off slowly. I have no idea if the 'chuff' is correct or not and I'm not that bothered. I'm sure there'll be a CV to tweak (though inaccessable to me at the mo') if it's not correct.

There isn't room to do a run at max speed but at a very slow speed, there is a slight tight spot at top-dead-centre (when viewed from the right-hand side loco in forward direction) but straight from the box it seems that with a little bit of running it, it will be a nice little runner.

Overall, reasonably impressed especially by the weight! A nice addition to go with the Dapol Mogul.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Grouse101 said:

, but they've probably had the usual about of returns of this model. So this isn't an issue with every one. Probably just the vocal, unlucky few on the forums desperate for help giving the impression that all these models have issues. I'm sure there are many quiet happy customers.

A valid observation. One thing the internet and forums like this have been useful for is when there is a serious issue, the volume of individual comments rises massively, across various platforms, and through the retail community. That isn’t the case here.

Seven members have commented on ‘poor running’ and three on broken steps in the last fourteen pages. Two faulty models subsequently reported as replaced an no running issues. 

Undoubtedly frustrating for those concerned, but not ‘significant’ numbers. I didn’t bother counting those that said they liked their 94xx and had no problems with them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Philou said:

.......I have no DCC so it's plain vanilla DC via a very old Gaugemaster P controller (with brake simulation). ...................Steam sound comes into play plus the GWR 'fart' and it set off slowly. I have no idea if the 'chuff' is correct or not and I'm not that bothered. 

Did'nt know sound would work on DC out the box, always thought it had to be turned on first by connecting to a DCC system and doing whatever to get it to the sound to work on DC.  If that's the case of out the box ,my last few locos I should have got with sound.

Edited by Guest
to make it clearer

Mine is not great @ slow shunting speeds. Running with a Gaugemaster W non-feedback controller after running in as instructed. I am not a fan of the core less motor as a feedback controller cannot be used & all my other locos (many) run much better with their non coreless motors & a Gaugemaster HH feedback unit. 
Now difficult to return the model as it has been detailed & weathered. Will dump it back in its box, carry on with my 2 excellent running 64xx locos instead & not buy another coreless model. Would love to know how many units Bachman have received back! Disappointed after waiting for so long for this model.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well I’m just pleased I managed to source a l/c version,Rails seemingly having obliterated my order as there’s no trace on my account.No more in stock so no joy there....hey ho..these are difficult times for all.MonkBar of York are a new retail experience for me and they do have stock as do a number of other retailers. The e/c version comes with the garish red smear ( nothing personal but not to my taste ) on its cab side so I couldn’t go with that.Now I look forward to seeing and running this much heralded model of a prototype that cascaded onto the S.Wales railway scene in droves in my long lost youf .

Well ,less than 24 hours after ordering,9479 is delivered by courier. Cracking model at reasonable cost and cracking service from Monk Bar Models. I am very impressed.:yahoo_mini:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pinehill said:

Mine is not great @ slow shunting speeds. Running with a Gaugemaster W non-feedback controller after running in as instructed. I am not a fan of the core less motor as a feedback controller cannot be used & all my other locos (many) run much better with their non coreless motors & a Gaugemaster HH feedback unit. 
Now difficult to return the model as it has been detailed & weathered. Will dump it back in its box, carry on with my 2 excellent running 64xx locos instead & not buy another coreless model. Would love to know how many units Bachman have received back! Disappointed after waiting for so long for this model.

Why would you detail and weather a model unless you were happy with the running? I make sure my engines are well broken-in before going anywhere near them with anything that would invalidate a warranty.

Edited by Barry Ten
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Agree 11

3 hours ago, confused said:

Did'nt know sound would work on DC out the box, always thought it had to be turned on first by connecting to a DCC system and doing whatever to get it to the sound to work on DC.  If that's the case of out the box ,my last few locos I should have got with sound.

Hi @confused,

Generally all DCC sound locos will make ..... er ..... sound under DC - but the number of sounds are very limited. There are locos where the CV (don't know which one) has been tweaked to not allow running under DC - you then need access to a DCC system to alter the CV.

I have a Bachy 66 with sound that was running on the club's DC layout - unfortunately every time it ran into a signal protection section, it would shut down and then have to restart from scratch. I suppose it was slightly more authentic than just moving off immediately having been given the right-of-way.

What you can't do under DC, is to have more than one DCC loco running on the same track unless covered by sections (as mentioned above).

Cheers,

Philip

4 hours ago, Pinehill said:

2 hours ago, Barry Ten said:

Why would you detail and weather a model unless you were happy with the running? I make sure my engines are well broken-in before going anywhere near them with anything that would invalidate a warranty.

Well in my case I thought I could live with the poor shunting speeds.  I also convinced myself it might loosen up with even more running in.  So I weathered it and detailed it (with hindsight a mistake of course).  The poor slow speed running did not improve, and bugged me more and more. 

I sent it back to the Retailer I thought for examination and possible repair by Bachmann.  The Retailer phoned me today to say that the loco runs the same as the other models they have in stock.  They think it might run slightly better on DC,  but basically there is no fault just the way it is.  Sounds like they may have had a few queries from customers about poor slow speed running.    My loco also has a manufacturing flaw on one of the spokes of one of the driving wheels. The spoke is distorted.  So I explained to the Retailer that I wanted this replaced.  I had not noticed it before I weathered it.  So the loco will go back to Bachmann for repair.  Who knows it may come back as a better runner.  I am afraid my model of the 94xx is by far the worse running loco on my layout,  I am not massively impressed with the sounds either (compared to numerous after market sound projects, and the Dapol DCC sound fitted Mogul).  A shame because every other Bachmann loco I have runs beautifully.                 

54 minutes ago, Philou said:

1/.....Generally all DCC sound locos will make ..... er ..... sound under DC - but the number of sounds are very limited. There are locos where the CV (don't know which one) has been tweaked to not allow running under DC - you then need access to a DCC system to alter the CV.

2/......What you can't do under DC, is to have more than one DCC loco running on the same track unless covered by sections (as mentioned above).

Hi, Thanks

1/......Would'nt mind the incorrect sound, further research seems to be Hby TTS that need to be tweeked.

2/........was aware, but if someone in UK could make the USA 'MRC' "Sound & Power 7000" controller for DC that would be great, could even live with USA diesel horn.

3 minutes ago, confused said:

Hby TTS that need to be tweeked

I seem to recall that TTS is wholly DCC and won't make sound on DC , though the loco will run on DC. TTS is much simplified and hence cheaper.

Cheers,

Philip

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, confused said:

Caution,

not all controllers have the guts on DC to power DCC sound locos.

certainly my Gaugemaster controllers cannot operate them (D, HH, Q and loco tester).

Oddly my cheap trainset Piko controller does no problem.

Similarly a number of DCC Sound locos ship with DC operation disabled.. so you need a DCC controller to change the cv to allow it to work.

it can be a bit of a pain, operating sound on DC, Instead I just bought a £6 bluetooth speaker,  hide it in a brake van or a BG, and push sounds from my phone..

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Philou said:

I seem to recall that TTS is wholly DCC and won't make sound on DC , though the loco will run on DC. TTS is much simplified and hence cheaper.

Cheers,

Philip

Er not quite. Some latest Hornby  TTS equipped models won’t run on DC analogue I’m afraid.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Caution,

not all controllers have the guts on DC to power DCC sound locos.

certainly my Gaugemaster controllers cannot operate them (D, HH, Q and loco tester).

Oddly my cheap trainset Piko controller does no problem.

Similarly a number of DCC Sound locos ship with DC operation disabled.. so you need a DCC controller to change the cv to allow it to work.

it can be a bit of a pain, operating sound on DC, Instead I just bought a £6 bluetooth speaker,  hide it in a brake van or a BG, and push sounds from my phone..

Funny that because my Gaugemaster can operate a Loksound equipped Hornby. Struggles with Bachmann though 

36 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Struggles with Bachmann though 

I've had no issues with my Gaugemaster P - perhaps it's got a little more oomph, though I note it's only rated at 1.5A.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold

It could be due to voltage drop to, my layout has a circle 5m diameter, even with radius feeds its a 2.5m distance before hitting the track.

That doesnt excuse the LT though.. the loco tester has a near zero distance from controller to the track on top of it...no joy with sound.

• RMweb Gold

So mine appears to have a random clicking sound going forwards and only really on corners. Completely fine in reverse.

Can't see anything obvious catching or anything.

Anyone got any ideas what I can look for?

6 hours ago, Kaput said:

So mine appears to have a random clicking sound going forwards and only really on corners. Completely fine in reverse.

Can't see anything obvious catching or anything.

Anyone got any ideas what I can look for?

I would check coupling rods for catching, sand pipes or any other under frame detail that might be catching on sleepers etc, pickups in case one has got bent out and is getting caught in the spokes of one of the driving wheels.

This sort of thing can often be tracked more carefully by seeing if it only happens in one direction, using rolling road, removing the body etc to try and eliminate some of these options from being the cause.

If I was sure it wasn’t any of these I would be getting a little more worried it was coming from the mechanism and would be considering returning as it is a very new model. I’m sure others will come up with more options as well.