Photos of Tyneside electric lines

New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Just in case you don't know, the latest Modern Locomotives Illustrated ( June/July) is about Scottish and Tyneside EMUs . This includes the EPBs after transfer to London.

I got it for the Scottish emus but lots of good pics of the North Eastern ones

Brilliant collection of photos, and I particularly liked the one of a first-generation MLV, or whatever they were called on Tyneside.

IMHO, first generation electric stock, irrespective of which railway is under discussion, doesn't get anything like the attention it deserves; it was little-photographed, and, compared with steam locos, so little of it is preserved.

K

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Did the Tyneside 'EPBs' lose a jumper cable on their transfer to the southern?

Cracking photos - real shame the system was removed ................

Very simply

All EPB stock including the SR stock had the 750v traction power jumper cables removed following an incident after which it was decided that having 750v at waist level was a bad idea and there was no need to have a 750v bus-line throughout a train with several units in it

SUB's retained them as the control circuits etc were 750v and needed to be continuous

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

Cracking photos - real shame the system was removed ................

Very simply

All EPB stock including the SR stock had the 750v traction power jumper cables removed following an incident after which it was decided that having 750v at waist level was a bad idea and there was no need to have a 750v bus-line throughout a train with several units in it

SUB's retained them as the control circuits etc were 750v and needed to be continuous

I didn't realise that's what that jumper was,presumably it was a single pole jumper similar to an ETH one, wouldn't fancy pulling one of those out without it being paddled up

• RMweb Premium

Love those Gresley Artics. I960/61 and 62 was the last time I had chances to see these and make a couple of trips to Whitley Bay. Trafalgar Yard near Manors;I had an EM layout based on that for a few years after I moved to 36E. I bought it from a local chap that had scratchbuilt an ES1.....brilliant. It went to North Shields and I wonder if it is still there at the Club were Roundtree Sidings (think that's its' name) layout is?

Phil 

• RMweb Gold

I didn't realise that's what that jumper was,presumably it was a single pole jumper similar to an ETH one, wouldn't fancy pulling one of those out without it being paddled up

Too true. Splitting units in the sidings you would check they each had a shoe on the juice. Great, till the day the one shoe you saw was in contact has a blown shoe-fuse. It happened occasionally and was a hospital job on the day, maybe for some time after.....

• RMweb Gold

Going for scrap in 1967,click on the link for more info.34879885143_2ba212a963_b.jpgBrampton Fell. by Keith Long, on Flickr34879876123_8d695a3b2c_b.jpgBrampton Fell. by Keith Long, on Flickr

I wonder if more than one trip was made and if the parcels cars made a return to Tyneside to act as a match vehicle for other passenger units as they were the only one with buffers and cowhead couplers

• Like 1

The SR Hornby locos had part of the cab windows painted over during the war too.

I've always thought it odd, because it is really only during crew changes and brew ups during a pause that an electric loco has significant lights on in the cab ....... surely the Luftwaffe couldn't see the instrument lights from ten thousand feet!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most of the NER driving cars had a porthole for the motorman, as shown by the preserved 1904 luggage van. Ken Hoole's book The North Eastern Electrics (Oakwood) shows 1920 stock built with a porthole, refurbished for the South Shields service by the LNER with a full window and then with the window reduced by painting in a 1945 photo.

• Like 1

A quick look through this selection of ARPT phots show the parcels van (and others) kept the reduced size window into BR days after repainting. Some would appear to be painted whilst others are plated.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/history/gallery/electric-trains-on-tyneside-13076907

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyone know why the driver's front windows were so small on some of the Tyneside electrics?

Looks like the windows were reduced in size (or partly painted over) during their careers.

I read somewhere, a long time ago when I doing research for my Fellburn layout, that the smaller window was to ensure that the Motorman remained standing, I believe it was after an accident caused by the Motorman falling asleep in/on his seat.

I read somewhere, a long time ago when I doing research for my Fellburn layout, that the smaller window was to ensure that the Motorman remained standing, I believe it was after an accident caused by the Motorman falling asleep in/on his seat.

Ah! you have jogged a memory.

A motorman leaned out of the cab to spy on a courting couple doing what courting couples do in the first coach of the train. He used his handkerchief to keep the throttle open. His head struck a parapet with inevitable consequences.

II'll have to dig out the references to make sure I've got that correct.

P

• RMweb Gold

A motorman leaned out of the cab to spy on a courting couple doing what courting couples do in the first coach of the train. He used his handkerchief to keep the throttle open. His head struck a parapet with inevitable consequences.

P

There's a photo in one of Ken Hoole's books of the hanky tied round the controller.

• RMweb Premium

P

There's a photo in one of Ken Hoole's books of the hanky tied round the controller.

Indeed there was one such accident. IIRC the unit went through a signal at danger and collided with another train. The motormans body was found laying in the six foot a few miles before the collision. Fortunately there was no further loss of life.

Whilst at York exhibition I spotted the NER society stand, with their books of drawings. bought all that had the tyneside electrics. Amazed at how many different ones there were,especially in the original clerestory stock, and how it changed over the years. The big fire in 1919(?) destroyed much of the original stock, so there was a massive build scheme, but this time non clesestory. The early stock definitely had the porthole windows.

Reason for my interest is that i plan to design some models for 3D printing. As there is such a big range, I am not sure where to start!

Nice photos.

I think the LNER parcels unit I ended up at Southport. The BR built ones I think preceded the southern ones. I think some of the EPB stock are awaiting restoration. A pity that the only other unit preserved is one parcels car, I think one of the non clersestory ones.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1