Frog polarity switch

DCB

I have seen lots of posts re switching frog polarity, the vast majority involving point motors.

But how to switch polarity without a point motor.  Maintenance of the outside pointwork is never ending as the tags get dirty and don't make contact so I have rebuilt one at the private siding with a SPDT reed switch which needs a magnet to triggers it but that's a bit of a dead end so has anyone any suggestions for a neat way to switch the polarity of a hand operated live frog point please?   The baseboard is pretty solid, 3/4" thick ply.

post-21665-0-24164900-1498443510_thumb.jpg

post-21665-0-60325200-1498443529_thumb.jpg

I used a micro switch glued under the baseboard and a piece of brass bar glued into the hole in the point tie bar and wired as normal, this wasnt for a hand operated point but for a surface mounted point motor but I didn't want any switch visible.

HTH

Michael

Edited by michaelp

The most common method for frog polarity switching on hand operated points is to use wire in tube where a slide switch is mounted on the edge of the baseboard. The wire is connected to the slide switch actuator by drilling a hole through it, the actuator can then be used to move the point whilst the switch connected to frog simultaneously changes the polarity. A simple wire link can be used if the switch can be lined up with the tie bar.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

I've used microswitches in fiddle yards mounted on the baseboard alongside the point, operated by the tiebar.  You need to be careful that the switch isn't too close to foul the track, outside cylinders and bogie coach battery boxes are the most likely problems.  In a few cases I extended (or bent) the switch operating arm to make sure there was enough clearance.

Martin

Edited by mcowgill

• 3 months later...
Gentlemen, could anyone suggest a DIY cheap frog polarity switcher? 

I am trying to build a railroad switch based on a linear micro servo. This is a Z gauge railroad switch for a handlaid track. I am using DCC for trains, but for switching I would like to use buttons (without any DCC decoder). I already have a device which switches the servo by presing a button, but it doesn't reverse frog polarity. I am now looking for such a device. Because parts are very small, I can't fit a microswitch to this micro linear servo. Could someone please suggest a very cheap preferably DIY, frog polarity reverser? I tried to search MERG website, but since I am not a native speaker, it's hard to find any such device. I have noticed that microswitches are used a lot to reverse polarity, my question is - can I use the same button that triggers servo movement to switch polarity?   

IMG 2017 09 30 201314

Edited by MegaBlackJoe

Do you use only one button to toggle the position?

If so, you must already have an electronic circuit in place capable of doing that, so it ought to be a simple matter to add a relay to provide the polarity switching, controlled by the circuit with no more than a few extra components.

I have seen lots of posts re switching frog polarity, the vast majority involving point motors.

But how to switch polarity without a point motor. Maintenance of the outside pointwork is never ending as the tags get dirty and don't make contact so I have rebuilt one at the private siding with a SPDT reed switch which needs a magnet to triggers it but that's a bit of a dead end so has anyone any suggestions for a neat way to switch the polarity of a hand operated live frog point please? The baseboard is pretty solid, 3/4" thick ply.

Good quality waterproof micro switches driven from the tie bar , is your best bet Edited by Junctionmad

A micro switch is the answer to DCB's question.

For DavidCBroad's question you will need to protect it from the elements and ants.

I would suggest a short length of heavy brass wire from the stretcher bar in a short length of tube to operate the micro switch.

Secure with one screw first and adjust until you are happy with the operation, then fix in place with the second screw.

I suggest using a micro switch with a built in lever / arm.

Gordon A