Live webcam at Grosmont, NYMR.

Free At Last

They're keen:

image.png.ab999efe7ff9c85ef9c4734d86b6454c.png

Come with bags, perhaps they are camping out to be on the first train :D

However, I can see that the Thompson coach and it's train have been placed there since 14th May so some activity underway ahead of re-opening. 

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

I haven't noticed many people at Grosmont. However a bloke just walked down the platform whilst I was posting this. Looked like an enthusiast rather than a random tourist.

On the Ffestiniog webcam I've seen quite a few sitting on the platform benches at Porthmadog. Especially when the sun was out.

Looks nicely kept still.

2020-07-01.png.e2a3f1a7155d5a4b634fa377f0123ddc.png

Jason

• 3 months later...

Last train from Whitby was diesel hauled to Gromont by the Green 25, came off to be replaced by 825.

Whilst they were coupling up 825, Repton appeared, I presume from Pickering as it departed back towards the shed at the same time as 825 got under way.

image.png.ee8d59ea2bdb35af8a08f316063d2379.png

• Like 2

Repton had just returned from Pickering after dropping the coaches off.

If The Optimist is running with 825 or the 9F it's being swapped with Sybillia at Grosmont for the Whitby section.

I think its just 825 and 926 this week on The Optimist - the 9F was in the running shed today having a bit of TLC.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's the B1 K1, now back from Whitby. 825 also pottering around the station. A few members of the public around, and 4 or 5 people seemed to get off the train... 

Edited by Daddyman

They will be running a ghost service, drivers will need a route refresh (especially on the NR side), guards and volunteers will have to practice how the trains will operate.

Did the same thing in the summer when they were last allowed to run.

23 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

That would explain why they're just doing Grosmont-Whitby - two (possibly three) trips so far today. 

I think they tend to do crew changes at Grosmont, so they may have a small group of NR competent drivers for the Whitby route and a wider group of heritage drivers for the rest of the route.

• 4 weeks later...

woodenhead is correct, we're shadow running at the moment which is where the services are run empty so volunteers can renew their competencies and get used to the timetable.

Also a lot of the engines had winter maintenance done during Jan/Feb and are being running in.

We had a land slip at Beck Hole which was only very recently re-opened for traffic so there hasn't been a great deal of movement North/South during lockdown.

That's why they were shuttling Grosmont<->Whitby in April - you could only get about 2 miles south of Grosmont before the track was closed.

There are now shadow services running the full line. 825 and Sybilla have been doing most of them.

There's also an internal shuttle running which is currently the 101 DMU.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, UnauthorisedCinnamon said:

How are you finding the cameras now we've moved them on to YouTube? 

We swapped them over in January.

Just realised, it now has rewind, that's great as I regularly missed stuff on the old cams

Been back and watched 825 depart 2 hours ago.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5428 & 825 leaving Grosmont just now. I guess this is a crew familiarisation run before the services open up again, with 5428 added as a running-in turn . 

Grosmont.jpg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There seem to be very low passenger loadings these past two days - on 7-coach trains only 4 or so bays on the camera side seem to be occupied. Perhaps because B&Bs and other accommodation haven't reopened yet?  

57 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

There seem to be very low passenger loadings these past two days - on 7-coach trains only 4 or so bays on the camera side seem to be occupied. Perhaps because B&Bs and other accommodation haven't reopened yet?  

I would imagine that's the case and perhaps a lot of people don't expect them open today with rules changing on Monday, I was surprised they were carrying passengers yesterday.

Perhaps they did it on purpose so they had a quiet start to iron out any issues before the public is fully unleashed tomorrow.

• Like 1