Last orders for an etched chassis for the Hornby Peckett. P4 / EM

I'm always reluctant to spend much money on plastic RTR, so I'm working instead towards a demo chassis for the Dapol Pug kit, but using 4 point equalization, to prove its effectiveness over 3 point compensation or 4 wheel springing.   I'll start a separate topic in due course, once the etches are done.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Polybear,

I had a chat with Chris Gibbons at Scaleforum in September. He said he would do a chassis kit for the 0-6-0 Peckett.

Mean while I am having to put a third order in to the etchers as I have no chassis's left for myself.

So if any one wants to put in a late request...….

Gordon A

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Andy Reichert said:

I'm always reluctant to spend much money on plastic RTR, so I'm working instead towards a demo chassis for the Dapol Pug kit, but using 4 point equalization, to prove its effectiveness over 3 point compensation or 4 wheel springing.   I'll start a separate topic in due course, once the etches are done.

Andy

I would say from the weight of the body that it is 95% metal.

Gordon A

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 04/09/2019 at 18:03, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I intend to make the wheels fit standard three foot Gibson Wagon wheels, At the moment its just finding time to get stuff done, this was my first test print.

IMG_4721a.jpg

I would be interested in some of these wheels but not at that diameter. I'm curious as to why you have chosen to make them to fit 3ft. tyres when the wheels on the Hornby model are clearly larger than 3ft. I haven't measured them but the prototype had 3ft. 2 1/2in. diameter wheels and so Hornby have probably made theirs to this scale size. Gibson 3ft. 3in. loco wheels would surely be more suitable as donors for their tyres.

17 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I would be interested in some of these wheels but not at that diameter. I'm curious as to why you have chosen to make them to fit 3ft. tyres when the wheels on the Hornby model are clearly larger than 3ft. I haven't measured them but the prototype had 3ft. 2 1/2in. diameter wheels and so Hornby have probably made theirs to this scale size. Gibson 3ft. 3in. loco wheels would surely be more suitable as donors for their tyres.

I can make the wheels whatever size you want, just let me know the details or even better a drawing and can get centres printed off.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Here is my test build Peckett fitted with wheels using David Bigcheeseplant's centres and Gibson wagon wheel rims.

I also have some centres for 3ft 2" wheels, but I do not have any wheels of that size in stock.

I measure the Hornby wheels as 12.8mm across the tread, the Gibson wagon wheels are 12.46 mm across the tread.

P1070319a.JPG.ca08c4894e5a48a9bd3527e2e0d43006.JPG

P1070321a.JPG.f5d1b03fd7c02de36896531a6e230af7.JPG

The picture is a cruel enlargement as on my screen it is three times the size of the model.

The brake gear is missing, because I have lost it in my modelling room!

Here is a picture of the Peckett wheel centres compared to the Gibson Manning Wardle wheels that were fitted before.

P1070317a.JPG.ac70c3d46017316280858cb1a4290dcf.JPG

To fit DBC's wheel centres I first removed the existing wheel centres by cutting the plastic centres into three sections using a piercing saw. I found this way made removing the centres without putting undue stress on the rims.

DBC's centres had a minimal clean up and given a coat of primer, then coated in "body" colour.

I found the wheel centres slipped into the tyres with no play. I secured them with Loctite 480 (Cheaper from China).

The Crank pin holes were then drilled slightly undersize for the Gibson crank pins, and the back countersunk.

P1070316a.JPG.54f1a5f6653e9fa330b2c89de2fa3c91.JPG

The axles were threaded through the chassis and gear box and the wheels pressed on.

I believe the wheels look the part.

Gordon A

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to get in touch with a D. J. Burnett re one of these chassis kits.

Would he please contact me on: ga007d9065@blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks

Gordon A

NOW SORTED THANK YOU.

Edited by Gordon A

I have slightly revised the 3D Peckett wheels they will now be printed in a different resin which is much crisper than standard resin and has a different cure process as it is baked in the oven at 50 degrees, also I have made the wheels a good fit into the tyre so there should be no need to loctite or glue the centres into the tyre.

I will only make these wheels to fit standard Alan Gibson 3'1" wagon wheels as these although slightly under scale have a much thinner tyre face and look much finer than using a Alan Gibson bogie wheel which looks too chunky. 

For P4 the axles you will need Alan Gibson 21.9mm he does three axle lengths (you will need to shorten in EM)  

Prices are £8 for 5 wheels ( as this is the number I can fit on the short side of a print bed, it does give you a spare wheel to practice on or an extra if you cock one up!) plus £1.50 P&P

please email me at bigcheeseplant@googlemail.com if interested I am currently looking after my mum after a hip replacement so maybe a while till I am up to full production.

David

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've had to use the piercing saw on Ultrascales where the centres are moulded into the tyres but never on Gibsons where only one flange at the front of the tyre is turned to which the plastic centre rests against.

I've normally found that firm thumb pressure from the front can push a Gibson centre out the rear after supporting the back of the tyre on something suitable. Only very occasionally have I had to resort to a slight tap to get things moving.

The Gibson in this pic was pushed out wi mi thumb.

PeckettMedalling-42-EditSm.jpg.ff3ea3563a776b0bf4473f1d98cdcc5b.jpg

P

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Quick question Dave - is there a choice of colour?so 

12 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Quick question Dave - is there a choice of colour?

At the moment the colour is blue but I do need to order some more resin in so will see what other colours it is available, so maybe blue but it maybe green but generally it will be my choice of colour, black I think will be a no no as I am aware this is not the best colour to use on resins.

David

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/10/2020 at 16:17, Porcy Mane said:

I've had to use the piercing saw on Ultrascales where the centres are moulded into the tyres but never on Gibsons where only one flange at the front of the tyre is turned to which the plastic centre rests against.

I've normally found that firm thumb pressure from the front can push a Gibson centre out the rear after supporting the back of the tyre on something suitable. Only very occasionally have I had to resort to a slight tap to get things moving.

The Gibson in this pic was pushed out wi mi thumb.

PeckettMedalling-42-EditSm.jpg.ff3ea3563a776b0bf4473f1d98cdcc5b.jpg

P

So effectively Porcy, the Hornby wheelsets are now completely redundant for P4, if you're going to use some of David's wheel centres together with Gibson tyres?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

I am looking to do another run of the etched chassis kit for the Hornby 0-4-0 Peckett.
The kit comes with EM and P4 spacers. Details in this thread.

image.png.9cbc682964cb44903396df918b9f7083.png

image.png.832ff0eb8b755045f0d1fe662dc25b42.png

image.png.a22c7a9908466a878d80bef238786353.png

Would anyone interested in purchasing a chassis kit please let me know by e-mail : ga007d9065@blueyonder.co.uk

The cost will be between £25.00 and £30.00 given the increase in cost of nickel silver. I have yet to quantify the postage costs.

The etchers are quoting an eight week lead time from placing the order. I will not be asking for money until I have an order wrapped ready for postage.

Many thanks

Gordon

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just built up one of these chassis to EM, and excellent it is too..... (using Dave's wheel centres).

The only thing I can think of that I did differently to the instructions was regarding the build of the cross-heads. I personally found it much easier to solder the piston rod into the flat spacer etch, fold it into the 3/4 square, and then add the sides (if I has thought in time, I would have silver-soldered the piston rod to the etch, but I didn't....).

I also  added slide bar steps from scrap.

Power is by a High Level Load-Hauler with an (excellent) ebay 5 pole skew wound open frame motor.

Thanks Gordon!

2023-04-03_10-56-42

20230402_193625

Edited by Giles
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1