RTP Class 81

Taigatrommel

I made two Class 81s using Trix 81 bodies. I obtained a cheap non runner years ago and then got an ex Lilliput 81 body from Dapol when they bought some ex Lilliput moulds and spares and sold body mouldings by mail order. They stayed in the cupboard for many years before I tackled them, which was after I built a DC kits class 85. I motorised them with cut down Hornby Class 87 chassis, with the twin shaft motor bogie and modified bogie sideframes.

Edited by rembrow
  • Like 1

I brought a Bachmann 85 for the chassis and as much as I could salvage, air tanks, bus bars, wipers even the cab interiors fit after a few minutes with a file. The pantograph was from Howes but they don't seem to have any at the moment. Forgot about buffer beam removal, that was done slowly with a large file.

Pantograph from Howes?

That's the second time recently that I have seen Howes mentioned like they were still selling A1 models 15 years ago.

Last time I was in their shop (about 3-4 years ago), they were concentrating on model aircraft & were clearing out most of their model railway stock. They were still UK agents for Heljan & also producing sound chips.

That was it as far as model railways went & their web site is consistent with this.

Am I missing something?

For the HO version, I am still struggling to track down a chassis ( a tatty but sweet running donor from Ebay would be ideal) that might have a similar wheelbase, the class 81 seemed to have quite long bogies compared with , say SNCF or SNCB prototypes ( these are the ones I know well). Any thoughts. Something from Eastern Europe ) would be great! Any thoughts....? 

For the HO version, I am still struggling to track down a chassis ( a tatty but sweet running donor from Ebay would be ideal) that might have a similar wheelbase, the class 81 seemed to have quite long bogies compared with , say SNCF or SNCB prototypes ( these are the ones I know well). Any thoughts. Something from Eastern Europe ) would be great! Any thoughts....?

I've purchased an off-the-shelf motorized bogie

I found Lima class 67 bogies to be a decent enough wheelbase and wheel diameter match, which I paired with a Bachmann motor and cardan shafts from a 25.  I suspect you could shorten the Lima cardan shafts and use their motor too, I just went for what was the least effort using what parts I had kicking around.

I found Lima class 67 bogies to be a decent enough wheelbase and wheel diameter match, which I paired with a Bachmann motor and cardan shafts from a 25.  I suspect you could shorten the Lima cardan shafts and use their motor too, I just went for what was the least effort using what parts I had kicking around.

Interesting....did you have to cut down the width of the chassis, as the class 81 is slim creature in HO! Have you a photo of the chassis post operation?

I didn't use the original chassis at all, just cut the bogie towers off.  Here's a snap from while I was working on it.  The plastic of the 81's underframe doesn't seem to like glue of any kind, hence things being wonky there!

post-6973-0-11116800-1503304761_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 3

I thought I'd follow up with a bit more detail about how I used the Lima bogies.  I cut their mounts out from the original chassis, and then cut back the detail on the interior of the 81 to get a flat base.  I cut holes marked from the Lima chassis for the bogie towers to protrude through and then used plastic weld to affix the Lima mounts to the 81's interior base from underneath.  I'd also cut the centre section (ie that with the undergubbins) and bufferbeams from the metal chassis of the 81, and used square plastic section to strengthen things around the remains of the 81 interior- this same section also gave me something to glue the bufferbeams to when welded to the underside of the driver's desks.  The ride height seems about right compared with continental H0 vehicles, so I haven't fiddled any further- the driver's desk wedge under the windscreen glazing in the 81 body.  Now, a tidier job can certainly be made, and I have to work out where to add weight, but it'll do for now.

Edited by Taigatrommel
  • Like 1

Hey,

My Atlas HO scale static Class 81 turned up on the doorstep yesterday! Here's some quick pictures...I've not had the time to inspect it fully, but will do so soon.

Nice box, gives me the vintage feel!
post-27484-0-73666400-1503629129_thumb.jpg

Some nice detailing there, not the finest or the best, but that's what modelling is for right?
post-27484-0-46975400-1503629133_thumb.jpg

Two side views, fairly simple but effective packing.
post-27484-0-72607800-1503629140_thumb.jpg
post-27484-0-87148700-1503629141_thumb.jpg

My plan is to add a motor bogie (or two) to this model and add a proper Sommerfeldt pantograph to it. I'm going to be motorizing it and gifting it to somebody. Might repaint it too. If anyone has suggestions for a Sommerfeldt pantograph that closely matches the Class 81's please let me know.

Now to head off and buy the motor bogies.

Hey,

My Atlas HO scale static Class 81 turned up on the doorstep yesterday! Here's some quick pictures...I've not had the time to inspect it fully, but will do so soon.

Nice box, gives me the vintage feel!

attachicon.gifIMG-20170824-WA0004.jpg

Some nice detailing there, not the finest or the best, but that's what modelling is for right?

attachicon.gifIMG-20170824-WA0005.jpg

Two side views, fairly simple but effective packing.

attachicon.gifIMG-20170824-WA0002.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG-20170824-WA0003.jpg

My plan is to add a motor bogie (or two) to this model and add a proper Sommerfeldt pantograph to it. I'm going to be motorizing it and gifting it to somebody. Might repaint it too. If anyone has suggestions for a Sommerfeldt pantograph that closely matches the Class 81's please let me know.

Now to head off and buy the motor bogies.

Hi Sarah, yes nice loco and a great manicure too :triniti:Madame !

On the repaint front, I have bought two of these with the idea of having one in the earlier electric blue. I was wondering about trying to go for full yellow ends, but but electric blue for the main body. Not sure where I would get the silver lion and numbers from yet. Transitional livery if you like, to avoid messing up the windows. I have seen photos of other electrics in this 81-85 family in this transitional livery, but have not found a class 81...yet. If anybody does know where we can find such a photo, their reward will be in heaven :angel: !

Looking forward to your motor bogie exploits, I would love to know what sort of haulage power you get.

Hi Sarah, yes nice loco and a great manicure too :triniti:Madame !

On the repaint front, I have bought two of these with the idea of having one in the earlier electric blue. I was wondering about trying to go for full yellow ends, but but electric blue for the main body. Not sure where I would get the silver lion and numbers from yet. Transitional livery if you like, to avoid messing up the windows. I have seen photos of other electrics in this 81-85 family in this transitional livery, but have not found a class 81...yet. If anybody does know where we can find such a photo, their reward will be in heaven :angel: !

Looking forward to your motor bogie exploits, I would love to know what sort of haulage power you get.

I've also been thinking of re-painting mine to that early blue livery. But I scrapped the idea after I figured that getting the etched parts (lion and numbers) and modifying the headlight into headcodes would be too much.

So I'll stick to renumbering it to 81003 and adding a glossy finish. I've ordered my Sommerfeldt pantograph.

Regarding motorbogies, I was told by the guys at NWSL that one of their motorized bogies can easily pull 6 average sized/weighted coaches. I'll try and test them out, currently I own no coaching stock, but will try and get something together to test it.

By any chance can you tell me exactly what is the width of the model inside. I will not be dismantling mine just yet. Got a lot of work to do before I get time to open up and measure stuff. But I came across a website called KW Trams who do a 38mm wheelbase bogie. So they've asked for precise dimensions of the inside to see if the motor will fit.

I didn't use the original chassis at all, just cut the bogie towers off.  Here's a snap from while I was working on it.  The plastic of the 81's underframe doesn't seem to like glue of any kind, hence things being wonky there!

attachicon.gifWhatsApp Image 2017-08-21 at 09.38.35.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

By any chance can you tell me exactly what is the width of the model inside. I will not be dismantling mine just yet. Got a lot of work to do before I get time to open up and measure stuff. But I came across a website called KW Trams who do a 38mm wheelbase bogie. So they've asked for precise dimensions of the inside to see if the motor will fit.

The internal width is about 28.5mm, tapering to 26mm at the ends. I have installed KW bogies myself and they will fit (after trimming each end), but one needs to open out an aperture right out to the brackets projecting down from the chassis at the bogie centres.

post-31898-0-91298100-1504017883_thumb.jpg

post-31898-0-82222600-1504017911_thumb.jpg

post-31898-0-30285000-1504017935_thumb.jpg

post-31898-0-77230100-1504017951_thumb.jpg

post-31898-0-90380500-1504017969_thumb.jpg

post-31898-0-68909700-1504017990_thumb.jpg

The brass tube attached to the chassis is listed as 2.38mm across. To allow sharper curves to be negotiated the projecting bogie brackets were removed from the chassis and fitted to the bogies themselves. The moulded cab interior partitions support the body at the correct height so I retained these but with cutouts to accommodate the mechanism.

• Like 1

Having done a quick bit of maths, if in HO using 3.5mm to the foot you need a bogie with a prototype of 9ft4in in OO (rounded off) with 14mm wheels. The class 67 comes with the nearestbogie wheelbase needed.

What would be needed would be 37.6 mm wheelbase.

Unless someone knows of a continental prototype with 10ft9in bogies?

Edited by cheesysmith