Issue 237 Digital

jimhy

On opening the latest issue on my PC I find that on a lot of the pages it looks like the censor has been at work. For example Shellhaven has thick black lines underneath it, instead of the actual print. This occurs on many pages. Is anybody else having the same problem? I have tried it on different computers, one with Firefox and one with Explorer and it is the same with both. It only seems to be with the current issue.

Regards,

Jim.

post-22840-0-90873200-1498704269.jpg

On opening the latest issue on my PC I find that on a lot of the pages it looks like the censor has been at work. For example Shellhaven has thick black lines underneath it, instead of the actual print. This occurs on many pages. Is anybody else having the same problem? I have tried it on different computers, one with Firefox and one with Explorer and it is the same with both. It only seems to be with the current issue.

Regards,

Jim.

I'll report this to the relevant people. (CJL)

It's being investigated now. (CJL)

Hi,

Thanks for your help. It was updated last night 30th June 2100 hrs AEST. All is now fine.

Regards,

Jim.

Hi,

Thanks for your help. It was updated last night 30th June 2100 hrs AEST. All is now fine.

Regards,

Jim.

That's good to hear. I'm not in the office THurs/Fri so it's difficult to keep on top of what's happening. Our editorial machines are all Macs, so it looked fine to the guys in the office. It was the Android version that had corrupted for some reason. Glad it's all sorted. Enjoy! (CJL)

Chris, Looking at the digital issue on my iPad there seems to be something odd about the pictures of the layouts in this month's issue on the new platform.

I thought it was weathering at first glance but if you zoom in they are very pixilated.

All the other images are fine, including pictures in adverts, how-tos, etc but the layout shots all seem to be affected, a good example is page 20.

I check last month's issue on the new platform and it does not have this issue, I deleted and reloaded this month's issue to see if the fix outlined in this thread has sorted it but it has not. I've tried turning the image from portrait to landscape but again it is still pixelated.

Please can I ask you to check with the digital guys to see if they are getting the same issues.

Btw this month's issue is very good, even with this unwanted blurring.

Thanks Simon

• RMweb Premium

Chris, Looking at the digital issue on my iPad there seems to be something odd about the pictures of the layouts in this month's issue on the new platform.

I thought it was weathering at first glance but if you zoom in they are very pixilated.

All the other images are fine, including pictures in adverts, how-tos, etc but the layout shots all seem to be affected, a good example is page 20.

I check last month's issue on the new platform and it does not have this issue, I deleted and reloaded this month's issue to see if the fix outlined in this thread has sorted it but it has not. I've tried turning the image from portrait to landscape but again it is still pixelated.

Please can I ask you to check with the digital guys to see if they are getting the same issues.

Btw this month's issue is very good, even with this unwanted blurring.

Thanks Simon

Zooming in close it's very pixelated yes.lookivgvat it full page it's not too bad.

My issue is also skipping a page when I go to the next page. 14 goes to 16, 16 to 18 and so on. To read the full thing I have to look at it in landscape mode, seeing 2 pages at once, which does fix the issue, but it's rather a pain.

Zooming in close it's very pixelated yes.lookivgvat it full page it's not too bad.

My issue is also skipping a page when I go to the next page. 14 goes to 16, 16 to 18 and so on. To read the full thing I have to look at it in landscape mode, seeing 2 pages at once, which does fix the issue, but it's rather a pain.

I understand it's a new system and that Model Rail is the first Bauer, Peterborough, title to go over to it. I'll mention it tomorrow. (CJL)

The video link is also in mine and it runs, albeit slightly jerkily, but that might be down to the broadband here in the boonies.

I've just noticed that an UPDATE option has been posted on the Bauer App for the August edition.

It seems to have fixed the pagination issues but the layout photos are still pixelated and still make your eyes feel tired as you try to get them into focus.

The video link is also in mine and it runs, albeit slightly jerkily, but that might be down to the broadband here in the boonies.

I've just noticed that an UPDATE option has been posted on the Bauer App for the August edition.

It seems to have fixed the pagination issues but the layout photos are still pixelated and still make your eyes feel tired as you try to get them into focus.

Sounds like the pixelated photos may be due to zooming too large. It appears the video buttons should appear on the Apple version but not yet on the Android. (CJL)

Chris, I don't think so, it looks like a resolution issue to me.

I'm viewing the magazine on an iPad Air retina, so it's a reasonably current piece of kit, and I am not trying to view the magazine in any strange way, just landscape or portrait, size as it comes.

The whole of the magazine is well reproduced apart from the layout photos, even the text that overlays them is crisp.

When you look at the layout photos they look blurred, it's only when you zoom in that you see that they are pixelated and not reproduced to the high standard of the rest of the magazine.

What I suspect is that Chris Nevard's pictures have been taken in at too low a resolution and that is why they look wrong when they are put into the page layout. Chris is an excellent photographer as well as a great modeller, so I'm sure that it's not his error.

I'm sorry to burden you with this, I realise that you have no control over what the digital arm of Bauer media does yet you take all the flak but in the interest of making a great magazine even better I raise the point.

Chris, I don't think so, it looks like a resolution issue to me.

I'm viewing the magazine on an iPad Air retina, so it's a reasonably current piece of kit, and I am not trying to view the magazine in any strange way, just landscape or portrait, size as it comes.

The whole of the magazine is well reproduced apart from the layout photos, even the text that overlays them is crisp.

When you look at the layout photos they look blurred, it's only when you zoom in that you see that they are pixelated and not reproduced to the high standard of the rest of the magazine.

What I suspect is that Chris Nevard's pictures have been taken in at too low a resolution and that is why they look wrong when they are put into the page layout. Chris is an excellent photographer as well as a great modeller, so I'm sure that it's not his error.

I'm sorry to burden you with this, I realise that you have no control over what the digital arm of Bauer media does yet you take all the flak but in the interest of making a great magazine even better I raise the point.

I will check this with our designer tomorrow but as far as I'm aware, we (editorial) supply exactly the same pages to be uploaded as we supply to the printer. As it's only the layout pictures it may be connected with the way that Chris Nevard enhances his pics before he supplies them to us. It won't be Chris's fault or ours but it may well be something which affects his pictures when they go through the system. We're keen to see it sorted out, anyway. (CJL)

Regarding the video link, I get my Model Rail through PocketMags because at the time I wanted to renew my subscription, they were considerably cheaper than Bauer, had I realised there would be no video links and extra pictures I might have reconsidered.

The price between the U.K. and overseas digital versions was vast although the prices have changed and are equal now. I could never grasp why there was such a difference between the overseas and U.K. digital price seeing as no postage is involved.

A couple of years ago I had an issue with the layout photos being grainy, they are better now but do not stand up to magnification like those in the other digital magazines.

Despite all this I really like Model Rail.

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the video link, I get my Model Rail through PocketMags because at the time I wanted to renew my subscription, they were considerably cheaper than Bauer, had I realised there would be no video links and extra pictures I might have reconsidered.

Model Rail is not available through PocketMags so I don't know what your thinking of. Hornby Magazine is a PocketMags digital publication. Model Rail digital is a Great Magazines publication.

• RMweb Premium

Model Rail is now available through PocketMags and has been since the beginning of the year. I should know as I have a years subscription.

My apologies, it only showed up on the PocketMag website search, not the PocketMag app.