Copper Wort

Pete Goss

Wow; wow and thrice wow. I am looking forward to seeing this one develop Pete; right up my street.

There's still some lovely architectural detail intact around the maltings off Wetmore Road which would look better with locos and horses than today's cars.

IMG_9576.JPG

IMG_9581.JPG

IMG_9580.JPG

IMG_9582.JPG

IMG_9584.JPG

IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9586.JPG

IMG_9591.JPG

IMG_9593.JPG

IMG_9595.JPG

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Pete - Is that last picture how a new operator will be initiated?

I see what you mean about shunting and yet it does not look a crowded scene. Is there any kind of timeline your working to in your head or will it be ready when its ready?

• Like 1

Wow; wow and thrice wow. I am looking forward to seeing this one develop Pete; right up my street.

There's still some lovely architectural detail intact around the maltings off Wetmore Road which would look better with locos and horses than today's cars.

attachicon.gifIMG_9576.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9581.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9580.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9582.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9584.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9585.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9586.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9591.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9593.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9595.JPG

Andy,  I have all those photos plus many more. I spent a day with Joe Stamper., local malting's employee and local history expert and also looks after the N gauge model in the National Brewery Centre in Burton.  Joe took me around every corner of every street to view all the remaining buildings. I have been back since a few times to take more detailed information. Building construction well under way. Basebo0ards are all made and all the components are pretty much collected. More photo's shortly.

Peter

• Like 3

Pete - Is that last picture how a new operator will be initiated?

I see what you mean about shunting and yet it does not look a crowded scene. Is there any kind of timeline your working to in your head or will it be ready when its ready?

Hi Pirouets

Yes the operator will need a wet suit as having made his first barrel has to undergo this initiation ceremony, as will any operator who cares to volunteer.  Can't have the fame and glory without the pain and the rain ---  or beer tipped over you.

Timescale is as soon as possible for me.  Once the track is down, a few wires, lick of paint , job done. What do you think?  A couple of years?

Must get on..

Pete

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pirouets

Yes the operator will need a wet suit as having made his first barrel has to undergo this initiation ceremony, as will any operator who cares to volunteer.  Can't have the fame and glory without the pain and the rain ---  or beer tipped over you.

Timescale is as soon as possible for me.  Once the track is down, a few wires, lick of paint , job done. What do you think?  A couple of years?

Must get on..

Pete

cheers

Is the initiatee allowed to tip their head back and open their mouth?

Oh, hang on, this is Burton on Trent beer, I'l give it a miss...

• Funny 1

Is that last picture how a new operator will be initiated?

The initiation is to test how experienced the operator will be for a layout with the brewery theme. If  they have little or no experience they'll be letting the beer be poured over their head, just like the apprentice in the picture, but if experienced then they'll be tilting their head back to catch the beer in their mouth so as little as possible goes to waste.

This may cost Peter quite a few bottles of beer so better get some crates of bottled beer ordered!

Nice one Peter, BUT are you following me around the Country? You did Rowlands Castle when I lived down there, and now your doing BoT and I'm only 5 Miles away in Swadlincote. hahah.

Really Looking forward to seeing this develop, one of our Club Members has done a small section of the Brewery on our Clubs O Gauge Layout, as he worked there most of his life before Retiring.

All the best,

Andy.

I know a few people who couldn't organise a layout in a brewery.  Or something like that.

Hi John. Good to hear from you again.

In this case I am confident we can suitably organise things ..... I hope.  Here are some original sketches I prepared ages ago.  From here I put them into AutoCAD to produce the scale drawings required.

More pictures following of modelling progress to date later this pm..

post-600-0-32724700-1499110372_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-95453700-1499110401_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-73808300-1499110421_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-80066300-1499110465_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-94467200-1499110489_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-25616700-1499110511_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-76328100-1499110532_thumb.jpg

post-600-0-74244200-1499110764_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Couple of years you said in an earlier post and a few post later you show this. Out of interest how long have you already been working on the actual building of the layout rather than the planning.

Looking at the scene in the bottom left picture a question springs to mind. When you fit the windows do you have anything behind them or will people see the inside of the building and you will add fixtures and fittings? I ask as I am putting together a warehouse and realised the glazing means I can see straight through so what do I do with the space in the building. I'm going to use the technique you have for bracing as well as I was wondering about that but you can hide it away at the edges.

Going back to the plan and looking at the fiddle yard I reckon you have space to fit a proper ale pump so you could serve people as by the time they have worked they way round the 5 sides they will be thirsty. It would make the layout pay for itself at exhibitions :-)

Couple of years you said in an earlier post and a few post later you show this. Out of interest how long have you already been working on the actual building of the layout rather than the planning.

Looking at the scene in the bottom left picture a question springs to mind. When you fit the windows do you have anything behind them or will people see the inside of the building and you will add fixtures and fittings? I ask as I am putting together a warehouse and realised the glazing means I can see straight through so what do I do with the space in the building. I'm going to use the technique you have for bracing as well as I was wondering about that but you can hide it away at the edges.

Going back to the plan and looking at the fiddle yard I reckon you have space to fit a proper ale pump so you could serve people as by the time they have worked they way round the 5 sides they will be thirsty. It would make the layout pay for itself at exhibitions :-)

Very good, observant questions. 

It is a fair cop guv!

The planning started about 12 months ago. Site visits and drawings prepared at the end of last year. Baseboards were completed a month or so ago (by Colin Stark), and model building construction began from around the beginning of 2017.  Only just got round to showing it on RM Web. At present there is a lull in proceedings as The Worlds End layout requires some attention and also recent family affairs, wedding etc.  

Generally the single walled buildings will probably have a second blacked out wall at the back of the egg crate construction, particularly as one track goes inside a building at the brewery and will therefore be exposed on the operators side.  And although some internal parts may be visible which could be lit and detailed, I was perhaps considering an open sided building around the joiners shop area opposite the cooperage so the internal workings could be modelled as a one off. Not decided yet. Might be too gimmicky.

The High Street area requires a full design as yet, which has not been thought about too much although I have a basic idea in my head. I will need to develop this a little more before the track goes down in this area as the crossing needs locating properly. (and working hopefully).

I am aware most people will think it bonkers to build buildings and even convert and scratch build dozens of miniature figures (more pictures of this soon) well before any track goes down, but I maybe believe in the visual art form to begin with.  I am not pursuing the model building detail any further than shown other than new building carcasses not constructed yet now until the track is down so no worries there hopefully.  There are around 40 wagons to build and say half a dozen locomotives to worry about as well. More of this later.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Not bonkers just realise what a huge amount of work it is that would daunt most ;)

Great idea and looking forward to progress after the wonderful buildings on your last two layouts :)

Now that's an excellent idea but I think some operators might drink it all the time!

Now that's an excellent idea but I think some operators might drink it all the time!

But their comforts must be considered. This is a back of house view of a layout next to mine at an exhibition I did in Blankenberge, Belgium.  Smells had been wafting our way all day Saturday and so we arrived early on the Sunday morning we had to trace where they came from. It is the norm abroad to allow kettles and the like behind layouts but this was something else! 

post-276-0-15458700-1499348165.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

But their comforts must be considered. This is a back of house view of a layout next to mine at an exhibition I did in Blankenberge, Belgium.  Smells had been wafting our way all day Saturday and so we arrived early on the Sunday morning we had to trace where they came from. It is the norm abroad to allow kettles and the like behind layouts but this was something else! 

attachicon.gifFood and drink abroad.JPG

John

Oh yes, Blankenburge!  Was getting the layouts into the venue still via a giant scissor lift outside the building with layouts being pushed through a door at first floor level?  I do remember the French having to go under their layouts regularly to 'fix' something.  Yes a crate of wine under the layout. Think I was on the Belgian Blonde stuff that weekend and couldn't get out of bed on the second day till lunch time.  My son and his friend had to run the ETTON layout till I got there.... eventually.

It was a good show though, but you weren't allowed to take your little sign post with national flag attached home with you.  The French simply broke theirs in half and stuffed it into a packing box when packing up.

Memories...

attachicon.gifFood and drink abroad.JPG

I can't fault them for that. In fact a very good idea.  :imsohappy: 

John

Oh yes, Blankenburge!  Was getting the layouts into the venue still via a giant scissor lift outside the building with layouts being pushed through a door at first floor level?  I do remember the French having to go under their layouts regularly to 'fix' something.  Yes a crate of wine under the layout. Think I was on the Belgian Blonde stuff that weekend and couldn't get out of bed on the second day till lunch time.  My son and his friend had to run the ETTON layout till I got there.... eventually.

It was a good show though, but you weren't allowed to take your little sign post with national flag attached home with you.  The French simply broke theirs in half and stuffed it into a packing box when packing up.

Memories...

That method of entry onto the first floor was replaced by a proper lift but the show itself has slipped into history.

There was a very small lift which we used and it's to the right of the staircase we used to pack up. 

post-276-0-64840100-1499425752.jpg

Blankenberg is well worth a visit in it's own right and one should get a taxi from the P&O terminal in Zeebrugge if you use the ferry from Hull. It's only a mile or so. If you really want to go to Bruges, then a rail ticket is also very reasonable from Blankenberg.

As to strong beer, we could only manage two bottles each of this.

post-276-0-51969600-1499425687.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

That method of entry onto the first floor was replaced by a proper lift but the show itself has slipped into history.

There was a very small lift which we used and it's to the right of the staircase we used to pack up. 

attachicon.gifStairway to Heaven.jpg

Blankenberg is well worth a visit in it's own right and one should get a taxi from the P&O terminal in Zeebrugge if you use the ferry from Hull. It's only a mile or so. If you really want to go to Bruges, then a rail ticket is also very reasonable from Blankenberg.

As to strong beer, we could only manage two bottles each of this.

attachicon.gifStrong drink.jpg

Karmeliet, truly magnificent!

• 4 weeks later...

Trackwork all laid now. All higgledy piggledy - Just the job!  Standard Peco Code 75. I shan't be doing any more scenic work at board level until all the wiring is complete and everything has been fully tested.  This could be months away.  Meanwhile I have drilled holes for the electro magnet de couplers. The points have their springs removed and wire in tube laid ready for servo motors, and wire droppers are being soldered onto the track next.   Most of the track work will be covered in either blue setts or have gravel /ash ballast. I shall now move back to figure conversions (pictures soon) , wagon building and building construction. post-600-0-91346900-1507238043_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-64897500-1507238072_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-82594500-1507238106_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-70643400-1507238137_thumb.jpgpost-600-0-03092300-1507238165_thumb.jpg 

• Like 14

Really like the look of this, having worked in a brewery for around 20 years this is right up my street.

Looks good so far.

Keep up the good work.

Steve.

I am trying to capture the main parts of a whole brewery, from malting's, brewery, to ale stores and banks, company offices, cooperage and cask washing bays, workers cottages together with a High Street single track crossing scene. The fiddle yard is next to no size as most of the stock will be out front, parked up or going somewhere.  I am happy with track layout and the way it has gone so far. 5 boards out of 6 will be fully scenic. I am working with RMWebber Black Five on the DCC electrics this time which we are just battling through with at the moment. There are some issues which he may discuss here later on.

cheers

• Like 2