Copper Wort

Pete Goss

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Pete Goss said:

Coopers Tavern is included as a subject of a forthcoming Modelling Buildings book (Wild Swan) about to be published.  Either by Christmas or early new year, again I am reliably informed.

I’ll be keeping an eye out for that too in that case!

Cheers!

13 hours ago, Pete Goss said:

I was originally going to use proprietory pick ups screwed to the wooden block you see under the wagon, but (can't remember why) I swopped to 0.5mm brass wire soldered to a copper clad strip and resting on the wheel. Wires are soldered to the inside of two of the four loco pick up wiper blades. Friend Jeff Taylor did this bit when he was setting the DCC settings for each locomotive. I found after using an aggressive brass brush wheel clean that one or two wires dropped off, so I re-soldered and stopped aggressively cleaning wheels. I now use a lint free soft cloth and electric cleaning fluid only and have experienced no further issues.  The wires touching the wagon wheels need careful adjustment as either; the wheels don't go round or the wire doesn't actually touch the wheel.  Weighting the wagon helps, but if its too heavy the loco slips!

The standard Hornby coupling was removed, its hook removed and the hoop space filled in with plastic card and three holes drilled before re-fitting. This enables the two wires to be held in the central area between loco and wagon. The bent brass coupling wire runs from the filled in  coupling hoop hole to a short length of plastic tube twist wired onto the wagon buffer beam centrally. The brass wire is bent in place and articulates between the two vehicles thus taking any stress away from the electric wires.  This enables the loco to run as easily forwards as backwards.

Pete,

Thanks for the prompt, and detailed, response. I was planning something similar for my aging Mainline Class 03 (split chassis type) that really struggles with pickup, as it relies on the axles rolling in the metal chassis to transfer the power (that also need suitable oiling to aid rotation!). Not the best design ever.

I successfully implemented a magnetic coupling method for the jumper cables on my Lima Class 101 DMU, using very small (2mm dia) neodymium magnets soldered to the ends of wires. If works quite well, but the solder joint tends to be very brittle and can't take too much flexing without the wire strands breaking. It does, however, permit easy coupling / uncoupling when paired with Kadee couplings.

20210429_105652_resize.jpg.493018295c4aa3f951beb14ca3819bbe.jpg

20210429_201441_resize.jpg.191b9a47859aab961c7212084349acc6.jpg

Great layout by the way. I grew up in Burton-on-Trent and my father worked at one of the Breweries. I do hope your layout does get exhibited as it'll be great to see it in action.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 05/11/2021 at 21:48, JustinDean said:

I can’t believe I’ve only just seen this thread. Wonderful modelling Pete, and features my go to pub in Burton, The Coopers. Any plans to show this in the Midlands?

Jay

The Coopers is the DEMU Showcase post-curry highlight!

steve 

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, steve1 said:

The Coopers is the DEMU Showcase post-curry highlight!

steve 

Most of my time is spent between Derby and Wirksworth so it’s been a few years since I’ve been. Lovely old pub and a Burton treasure! I’m intrigued Steve - what’s the DEMU Showcase?

Jay

3 hours ago, JustinDean said:

Most of my time is spent between Derby and Wirksworth so it’s been a few years since I’ve been. Lovely old pub and a Burton treasure! I’m intrigued Steve - what’s the DEMU Showcase?

Jay

Showcase is the annual exhibition run by Diesel & Electric Modellers United (DEMU) and is the premier show of Diesel & Electric modelling in the U.K.

https://www.demu.org.uk/about/about-demu

Thanks

steve

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, steve1 said:

Showcase is the annual exhibition run by Diesel & Electric Modellers United (DEMU) and is the premier show of Diesel & Electric modelling in the U.K.

https://www.demu.org.uk/about/about-demu

Thanks

steve

…and happens just over in Swad! Thanks for the info - I had a 30 year break from the hobby so there’s still a bit of catching up to do. 

Jay

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think we ought to add a photo of the layouts creator too, :)  I think the mask was essential with the amount of people wanting a chat. Thanks for allowing photos Pete it was sublime. 

Copper Wort Brewery by Pete Goss in 4mm/1ft

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 13

On 20/11/2021 at 20:05, PaulRhB said:

I think we ought to add a photo of the layouts creator too, :)  I think the mask was essential with the amount of people wanting a chat. Thanks for allowing photos Pete it was sublime. 

Thanks Paul for your wonderful pictures and comments. I think that was yourself that said 'hello - following rmweb etc' towards the end, many thanks.    

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Pete Goss said:

Thanks Paul for your wonderful pictures and comments. I think that was yourself that said 'hello - following rmweb etc' towards the end, many thanks.    

I was there first thing Pete while you were swamped with people waiting to chat. I did ask you quickly between those waiting before I took the pics, which you kindly said yes to thanks. As I’d had a long chat at Warley when you took Worlds End and I had to get elsewhere I missed the opportunity this time as you had to pop for lunch before they closed. Fortunately I knew I could ask any questions on here later. 
I have thoroughly enjoyed going through the pictures several times and I’m looking forward to the articles that will surely follow in the mags. 
It was the highlight of a good show. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Was absolutely fantastic to see this brilliant layout in the flesh today at the Stafford show. Incredibly inspiring details in such a small space. The way it works with so many distinct views means that you don't notice that it's quite a tight curve. Just brilliant. 

Also made my 8 year old daughter's day when she took a photo showing a group of Midland Railway waggons saying that she wanted to take it for Mummy. I was a bit confused as I know my wife isn't very interested in model railways. But then said daughter pointed out that "the man has put Mummy's initials on the waggons" ... MR.

20220924_104421.jpg.421e29c498457ef0048dd44d73c5e824.jpg

Edited by Anotheran
  • Like 17

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another successful outing and I caught Pete at the controls at Basingstoke. 

IMG_4993.jpeg.b5bd47785bcfdac326d9f0caa9438d56.jpeg

I wonder what layout he’s deep in thought about? 😉

Thanks Pete I’ll try and say hello tomorrow if I catch you off the controls, too busy videoing today so will come back again tomorrow in a break to watch some more. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Rob_Davis said:

ive read this from front to back and its stunning, but why cant i see some of the pictures

There was a server change backup that went a bit wrong a couple of years ago and lost a lot of photos. It’s very hard to remember what photos went where to repopulate older threads. 

• Agree 1