Photobucket - What is going on?

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

I am not a Photobucket user, but many forum members clearly are. There is some sort of problem with the hosting service at present, meaning many images in threads have disappeared and been replaced by a demand for some sort of account updating.

Just a heads up to users to check how it affects their images right now. I hope it is a kosher issue, not some sort of cyber attack.

Seemingly they will not permit images to be embedded into other sites unless accounts are upgraded to a $99.99 plus account - 

•  
  • Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
  • Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:

o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Read more: http://photobucket.com/terms#ixzz4lSi6IxFT

If a user doesn't have their original file I assume they could download it from Photobucket and then upload as an edit to here but that will require work on the part of each contributor affected.

It's not the first time we've seen an image hosting service effectively disappear.

• RMweb Gold

If a user doesn't have their original file I assume they could download it from Photobucket and then upload as an edit to here but that will require work on the part of each contributor affected.

Sadly no, when you try to download the image it downloads the 100%usage image so your photos are locked away and stuffed!

But it's only links for $99 yr, not displaying the image, to show the image in the topic is $399 a year!

I assume they send a tube of KY Jelly to users too at that price?

• RMweb Gold

Turns out I did get a message that they had done it at 05:20 this morning!

post-6968-0-63345800-1498805998_thumb.png

So I said bye bye ;)

Well it would have been nice to warn people you were going to introduce fees to show their existing linked photos.

As there was no warning and it is effectively blackmail to even access your own images on the site I am not going to pay a company that treats its users this way. If I'd been given an option in advance then I probably would have subscribed to keep numerous forum topics going but as you've been so crass in dropping this without even an email message I'll move elsewhere.

I hope your new move is a resounding failure.

Good day!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, been a Photobucket premium user for 10 years, my pics are still showing on my thread (for me anyway) for now but I've got a horrible feeling my 168 page long photo heavy thread will be defunct soon!

Out of interest,  what is the advantage of using a photo hosting site rather than uploading the pic straight to the thread ?

If you post to more than forum, it's easier to have the link than to have to upload to each one.

John

• RMweb Gold

If you post to more than forum, it's easier to have the link than to have to upload to each one.

John

Thanks John.

Thinking back, some time ago I had a conversation with someone who had lost all his photo's when another hosting site went belly up,  the cynic in me noted not to use such sites. 

Edited by chris p bacon

Google, Amazon ( Prime) and Office 365  all offer bundles that include photo hosting for  around less than $99  that include a significant amount of other services within that charge.   I think the free photo hosting model has collapsed.

• RMweb Gold

I'm giving Amazon prime photos a try, I'm a prime member as it is for my fire stick, music and deliveries etc so have unlimited storage

Just need to see it works and get used to the user interface, so far I can only see how to post a link to a photo rather than embed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/I6Z7RzyAWRxxZiQsEL0c0TWLOTlYzxB0sH0v2pUu1HF

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's the only reason I used it, certainly never used a photo site to store my pics in case something like the current situation happened, hence why I'm not bothered about losing anything but when mine finally goes tits up there will be 11500 or so linked to pictures on various forums that no one will be able to see!

The mobile app works beautifully on a phone in my experience, use it a hell of a lot for the stuff I take on my phone when I've not got my proper camera

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Gold

So the news is really rather worse than I thought, with ransom demands, in effect. Really, really sorry for all of you who have used it to make the forum a more pictorial, more educational, more enjoyable place. I hope alternatives prove viable, although suspect we will find many photos just never reappear. 

• RMweb Premium

That's the only reason I used it, certainly never used a photo site to store my pics in case something like the current situation happened, hence why I'm not bothered about losing anything but when mine finally goes tits up there will be 11500 or so linked to pictures on various forums that no one will be able to see!

The mobile app works beautifully on a phone in my experience, use it a hell of a lot for the stuff I take on my phone when I've not got my proper camera

Just had another look on your Colas topic and the pictures seemed to have come back.