Photobucket - What is going on?

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it all depends upon how you see the new offer. Is it an attempt to win more business, as any firm might want to do, or is it desperation stakes because their former customers left in droves and their isn’t much income left? If the latter then ongoing viability might be suspect. I’m glad Jim has his pics backed up.

• RMweb Premium

I only use photobucket to host pics, everything is saved on my computer and backed up to another hard drive

You have lost me with the viaduct comment though?

London Bridge...

• RMweb Gold

Err- how many weeks in your year?

Regards

Ha ha, Whoops!!

Thing is I see this latest ‘offer’ as a way to hopefully ensure I won’t lose my photo heavy threads on here, admittedly it does suck balls that I’ve pretty much forced into paying to keep my current(some up to 12 years ago) pictures live in various threads/forums but $99 far more palatable then £399 which I refused to pay and was just going to keep my threads going until the account expired then start afresh with a new on line photo host, but I was yet to find one I could get to grips with in the same was as photobucket such as being able to upload pics to the net but keep the album as a whole private, I do like the simplicity of the photobucket app etc to upload straight from iPhone to app then app to internet too

Here’s hoping my futher ‘investment’ with photobucket isn’t a fruitless one and they are still here in 12 months time!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

Jim...I tried the various other hosting sites and the only one that I found anywhere comparable to Photobucket as far as simplicity and usability was SmugMug. You might want to have a good look at it just in case.

Cheers

Gene

• RMweb Gold

Tried that but didn’t like the fact all photos were ‘live’ in galleries once uploaded, not so bad if your wanting to post selected ‘arty’ pictures as I do with Flickr, but everyday ‘work’ photos or workbench pics that I describe when posting in a thread seem pointless to have full screen or viewable without any context or description (I don’t do descriptions on photobucket)

• RMweb Premium

It is possible to select differing levels of visibility within SmugMug provided one remembers that each different setting is applied across an entire gallery.  Thus I have many images hosted there which are not "live" and cannot be seen by random search engine enquiries but which will display when I post the relevant link in image tags - clicked and copied conveniently from SmugMug.  I also have the facility to sell images either directly or through a third-party such as my own website with those images also hosted securely at SmugMug.  The image viewed at SmugMug will include a watermark if the user chooses but an image bought by a customer in any format will not include that.  Those little features are likely to mean I stay firmly with SmugMug despite their site having a few seemingly odd quirks of navigation.  Which site doesn't?

I don’t know about this alive stuff. I do like the simplicity SmugMug offers for posting pics here and in other forums. Since various forums use diffrent formats and rules to post photos I also like that SmugMug makes various embedding formats available. The old Photobucket of 5,7,10 years ago was without a doubt the best for all that, usually a single mouse-click would allow one to copy the appropriate code/link for any particular forum format. It was without a doubt the quickest,simplest and most user-friendly photo-hosting/sharing site around. But those days are long gone and in my opinion SmugMug,for me,is the closest to the simplicity,variety and ease-of-use of the original Photobucket. I also like the ease and intuitiviness of how it lets me set-up and manage galleries. My second choice after SmugMug would be Flickr with Imgur running a far back third choice.

i-TsQ3Lrm-M.jpg

Edited by Gene

• 1 year later...

Not long after PB stopped everyone's photos from appearing I edited my main threads and uploaded the photos on to RMweb's own hosting and some time after that I deleted my photos from PB and closed my account. Or so I thought...

This popped up just now in my followed topics -

I've no idea why something that I posted 9 years ago popped up there but what's really odd is how the photos are showing and showing with a stamp on them, saying that they are hosted on Photobucket. I deleted them and closed the account and I cetainly never paid their ransom to enable my photos to show yet there they are. What's going on?