Photobucket - What is going on?

Oldddudders

Aside from the ransomware approach to business one thing which is really irking me is that any images are, in effect, displaying an advert for their business.

34967d66-7b52-41e4-be6e-ebcdc58952d2_zps

Sadly the original image url is retained rather than displaying a single image url as I would have been sorely tempted to change them all on here to display:

Photo_ransom.jpg

• Like 14

I've only ever used photobucket for pics on websites that don't allow direct upload, or have unfeasibly small image sizes. I've never regarded it as worth paying for and certainly wouldn't use it for primary storage. Same goes for Facebook, which I have a registration with so that I can follow clubs and groups which use it, but never post anything except occasional club-related matters.

• RMweb Gold

Well thanks to Andy & BRM hosting the pics on the site I've been able to link to the RMweb version of topics while I sort it all out on two other forums.

So a major plus for RMweb there :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

I will not be held to ransom by anyone. I have a large number of images hosted at Photobucket but haven't added more for the past couple of years.

The site began to show signs of creaking and groaning, overload / underresource and randomly refused me access to my account - despite the fact it was paid for due to the volume of material stored. Images correctly linked would randomly not display in a post made on other sites.

Since then I have happily used SmugMug. Again it costs me because of the space I occupy on their servers which is fair enough. But - once you get used to some of the slightly quirky aspects of its functionality - it's a good place and I can also take advantage of their professional side for a commercial venture at no extra cost.

Photobucket effectively copied SmugMug's lead here but have been playing catch-up all along. Since no-one has yet asked me where a particular image has gone and as they now seem keen to extort ridiculous amounts to allow what has largely been free until now they can take my account and cast it into cyberspace. I have all my originals.

Not only are they trying to extort a considerable sum of money from users but I have just looked in my Firefox Options/privacy. Where there would be maybe 10 cookies for sites I haven't actually visited there were over 200! As I have only visited RMweb, my ISP and Photobucket, today, I must assume the extra 200 have come from Photobucket.

• RMweb Premium

That's all my botophuket pics deleted. Shame, as they included all the pics for my High Level Pug chassis build on the previous incarnation of RMweb, plus a few other bits and pieces. However, I still have all the original images. I'd never trust any cloud site to hold the only copy of my pics.

Edited by Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly Flickr has never been the same since the dead man walking of the IT industry Yahoo bought it a few years back.  I only went with them when Fotopic went bang so spectacularly.

You can post private pics from Flickr but its a bit convoluted. If you go to the all sizes link you can get the direct URL of the different sized images

Jim, if you don't want to polite your arty Flickr account with nasty trains, you could create a separate account

My photos remain accessible too, in spite of postings into other fora. However, I have managed to download all of my photos and store them onto an external hard-drive as I'm guessing that my account will be locked soon, too. I wouldn't worry - apart from the inconvenience of having to start afresh elsewhere - but as my PB account holds a number of photos which were otherwise lost when my hard-drive crashed, I'm keen not to lose them.

I have noticed that after downloading, a number of my photos have been distorted and squashed. I'll have to live with that to save the entire stock.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus

• RMweb Gold

Rather than paying for an account on one of these photo sites, why not have your own web site? It is much easier to use, and gives you total control over what you put on there and linking to it, faster download, and no advertising.

For example, Namesco are currently offering UK-based unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth for 99p (+vat) per month, for the first year. (After that, £7 (+vat) per month): https://www.names.co.uk/web-hosting

(p.s. choose Linux hosting with cPanel, choose .co.uk or .org.uk for a free domain registration.)

No connection, other than a satisfied customer of many years.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

I am not quite clear about the advantages of using something like bucket shop but presumably it is partly to keep them 'safe' in a 'remote' location. As far as access for others is concerned, most are available on my web site or on RM Web.

• RMweb Gold

I am not quite clear about the advantages of using something like bucket shop but presumably it is partly to keep them 'safe' in a 'remote' location. As far as access for others is concerned, most are available on my web site or on RM Web.

Many forums don't host the photos due to bandwidth and if you're creating a large post sometimes people just copy it here as it's easier than uploading it all over again. It had the bonus of being a remote backup too.

Flickr is not a safe place to store your photos as my son found out to his cost. A travel company pirated a couple of his photos that were stored on Flickr for their advertising blurb without permission. Not a secure place.

He like me uses external hard drives for storage purposes, his stored at my houses and vice versus for fire security.

• Like 2

I wouldn't "store" anything on the cloud, Flikr, Photobucket or anywhere else.

All my stuff is on my computer, with three hard drive backups. My Flikr site below allows fellow enthusiasts access to my old railway photos if they so wish. If it goes it goes but I'm paying nowt !!.

As others have stated perhaps this is the thin end of the wedge, internet wise with "free" hosting. No doubt the owners of Flikr are looking at this model also. I understand Yahoo bought Flikr & Verizon are looking into / have acquired Yahoo. Look at the way also that Youtube has changed.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

Rather than paying for an account on one of these photo sites, why not have your own web site? It is much easier to use, and gives you total control over what you put on there and linking to it, faster download, and no advertising.

For example, Namesco are currently offering UK-based unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth for 99p (+vat) per month, for the first year. (After that, £7 (+vat) per month): https://www.names.co.uk/web-hosting

(p.s. choose Linux hosting with cPanel, choose .co.uk or .org.uk for a free domain registration.)

No connection, other than a satisfied customer of many years.

Martin.

I would second Martins recommendation of Namesco as I have used them at work for around three years and have found them to be good to work with.

• RMweb Gold

Flickr is not a safe place to store your photos as my son found out to his cost. A travel company pirated a couple of his photos that were stored on Flickr for their advertising blurb without permission. Not a secure place.

He like me uses external hard drives for storage purposes, his stored at my houses and vice versus for fire security.

Yes they are default public so don't put anything private on there unless you lock it as you upload.

It was just a useful extra backup to the pc and twin hard drives ;)