Lined green locos - did they ever work goods duties?

Weatherman

It's only now I've pondered the question as I have a lined green 45xx and need to know if it would be prototypical for it to haul pick up goods trains. I have a 74xx pannier to do this work but trawling through books and online, I haven't come across any examples and it's the sort of question to which I feel I should know the answer . . .  :scratchhead:

Yes. The GWR and WR were somewhat lax in their use of what in other regions was defined as express passenger livery. 

But even elsewhere, shed masters would in extremis use green locos for mundane goods work. Even the mighty

Gresley A4s had a power classification of 8P6F. Mind you, shunting with a screw reverser was no sinecure.

Ian

Edited by clecklewyke

• RMweb Gold

Yes, and with much larger locos than that being employed on secondary passenger trains too. I can remember riding behind rough Castles on 3/4/5-coach stoppers.

Both were normal occurrences on all regions when locos were waiting to go into works for general repairs and no longer up to the rigours of top-link passenger duties.

The small prairies were general purpose locos anyway and wouldn't have been given lined green on any region other than the Western. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

It's only now I've pondered the question as I have a lined green 45xx and need to know if it would be prototypical for it to haul pick up goods trains. I have a 74xx pannier to do this work but trawling through books and online, I haven't come across any examples and it's the sort of question to which I feel I should know the answer . . .  :scratchhead:

The last surviving 45xx ( well 4575) were all allocated to Southall for local goods/freight work, although it was hard to see the green livery on them!!

On stopping passenger trains too.

Both were normal occurrences on all regions when a loco was getting near requiring a general repair and no longer up to the rigours of top-link passenger duties.

John

And 'running-in' turns.

'Big' passenger engines were regularly diagrammed on goods work. Pre-war, Stanier's new Class 5XPs - Jubilees - in red had goods trains as part of their normal working lives.

When deciding what loco to work which trains, the colour of the paint was not a major consideration - anywhere!

• RMweb Gold

The last surviving 45xx ( well 4575) were all allocated to Southall for local goods/freight work, although it was hard to see the green livery on them!!

And 'running-in' turns.

True, but you only saw them if you visited or lived on lines near the works.

True, but you only saw them if you visited or lived on lines near the works.

Some running-in turns were quite long distance; Swindon to Paddington or Swindon to Gloucester, for example. In diesel days, there were regular Doncaster- Newcastle and Crewe to the North Wales coast (not sure if these were to Bangor or Holyhead.)

Bulleid's pacifics were allegedly mixed traffic and whilst they would have looked terrific in black (rebuilds particularly) they were lined green. Before that in the olive green era pretty much everything was painted "lined green".

There must be many examples of lined green WR locos working freight traffic in some of Peter Gray's books in the Ian Allan portfolio series as well as those by other authors. Halls and Granges spring to mind of course, but don't forget the 47xx 'night owls' etc.

Again on the ER there were the fast fitted iron ore trains from High Dyke to Aldwarke, which in the late 50s/early 60s were booked for a pacific until diesels took over.

Some Royal Scots ended their days at Annesley shed hauling coal trains. They were probably still green under the dirt ;)

Considering the state in which they arrived on the GC in, I'm surprised they were trusted with even that kind of work.

And which probably worked as many, if not more, passenger trains than freights even while in BR ownership.

Yep, with it's work on the S&D line, and the only times I saw it at Old Oak was off working enthusiast specials.

• Like 1

There's a good photo feature in Backtrack this month, about Collet 0-6-0 tender engines, which clearly worked a huge variety of trains, goods and passenger, while in black and then lined green liveries. As a non-GWR person, I hadn't really cottoned-on to what a modern and versatile engine they were - all that "olde worlde charm" look of GWR engines tended to disguise the modernity of the technical content.

Kevin

The afternoon fish train from Aberdeen through Perth to the south had express passenger power, at least in the 1960s.

Here's a picture of a Ferryhill A4 bringing it into Perth station, where it would hand over to a Kingmoor engine:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LNER-and-BRE-and-BRNE/LNER-Gresley-express-power/i-6jJfPzh/A

The last few Princesses were regular performers south of Perth:

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LMSR-and-BRM/LMSR-4-6-2-locomotives/i-TfhfQjm

and were then replaced by Britannias:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126693116@N06/29770304655

There are also pictures of Royal Scots on the train.

Duchesses could also be used on perishable freight. Here are a couple of pictures of members of the class on Holyhead-Broad Street meat trains:

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p645258869/h2e13b7f9#h2e13b7f9

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p645258869/h3fbc82f2#h3fbc82f2

(They were used on meat trains to Broad Street from Carlisle.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure that the Western Region painted any mixed traffic locos in lined black post 1956; all classes with P or MT power ratings carried lined green on all or some locos, as did the 7F 47xx.