Class 50 Hoover Sound

drgj

I have asked this before but I thought I would see if anything has changed. I have looked at all the sound sites but there are no details. Has anyone produced a sound file for the class 50 with the proper "Hoover" sound?   I was in Waitrose underground car park recently and the extractor system sounded very similar!

Dave

Nick- Not sure that is the same thing. The sound I am talking about is the air filtration system that sounded all the time. It was quite loud.  When they refurbished the locos it was removed so the ones left don't sound like "Hoovers" anymore.

Dave

The Arco Transacord album of Western recordings has a long clip recorded at Reading station which features a pre-refurb 50 arriving (and a Hymek on a coke train too). It's only a short part of the clip but does give a flavour.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Quite an interesting and unusual sight passing my house last night and tonight at 7.45pm.

Two class 50 ' Hoover's' pulling a rake of coal wagons.

Didn't get thier numbers ( I thought one was 50190, but that doesn't exist) but had DC frieght with a grey livery.

The sound is the most unusual sound I have heard from a loco.

5 minutes ago, Clarks said:

Two class 50 ' Hoover's' pulling a rake of coal wagons.

Didn't get thier numbers ( I thought one was 50190, but that doesn't exist) but had DC frieght with a grey livery.

They would be class 56's, 56091?

• Funny 1

Thanks Nick,

I will keep my eyes peeled tomorrow night to see if they return and try to get their names & numbers.

As said above, a really unusual sound. I actually thought it was a helicopter hovering above the house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Lovely vids. With an O gauge 50 due in a few weeks, it’s worth restating the original question at the head of this thread: what is the current state of play with class 50 sound decoders? 

13 minutes ago, uk_pm said:

Lovely vids. With an O gauge 50 due in a few weeks, it’s worth restating the original question at the head of this thread: what is the current state of play with class 50 sound decoders? 

We seem to be going in circles because this has already been answered.

Both Legomanbiffo & Digitrains/Paul Chetter produce sound projects for class 50s. Both have the 'hoover' fan sound switchable which you can turn on by a function if you have an original.

I though all the Heljan ones (for the initial release at least) were refurbs though, so the hoover sound is irrelevant. Sound projects can be blown to the larger, more powerful decoders & a 7mm model should be perfect to fit a larger speaker to.

I chatted to Heljan at Model Rail Scotland and they said that they had no plans to release a pre-refurb 50, mainly due to the lack of livery variations available to be able to generate the orders to cover with the extra tooling expense.

Time for a good old conversion kit to be made available, those sandbox filler points will be a sod though.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2019 at 08:23, Pete the Elaner said:

We seem to be going in circles because this has already been answered.

Both Legomanbiffo & Digitrains/Paul Chetter produce sound projects for class 50s. Both have the 'hoover' fan sound switchable which you can turn on by a function if you have an original.

I though all the Heljan ones (for the initial release at least) were refurbs though, so the hoover sound is irrelevant. Sound projects can be blown to the larger, more powerful decoders & a 7mm model should be perfect to fit a larger speaker to.

Apologies.  The emphasis in my question was meant to be on the word "current" (the majority of the activity on this thread being more than 2 years old).  It may be that there have been no developments since then - which s a pity, since the class 50 made a wonderful din, not yet captured on any DCC project IMHO.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The original non-refurnished class 50s sounded different to the refurbished ones. A lot of equipment was removed from them during refurbishment and the ventilation system was changed. The sounds in the file above of 50002 in 1980 are not available in any of the sound chips on the market. All those sound chips are refurbished examples.  The current sound chips can make lots of hoover like sounds but they are not the same ones that gave the class its nickname.

Even though it is not that long ago (well maybe it is - 40 years) the original sound is hard to source in a format the sound chip producers can use. I wonder will we ever see a sound chip with the original sound? Maybe someone has done their own based on personal recordings?

• Agree 1