Virtual Railfan webcams

NickBrad

• RMweb Premium

Another cam added yesterday is Santa Fe Junction Kansas City, right on the state line!

It's like one giant 12" /foot model with overpasses, flat crossings, cords and a double deck railway river bridge:1780134510_santafe.JPG.8fd0a388dfbac108a07fcef921aa1f84.JPG

265042186_santafe2.JPG.d7526c7f52e0134ddf255d43faa3a395.JPG

Here is the Google view:

https://goo.gl/maps/uqJ7y7tmomHJxe1G7

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Spent some of my coldest railfanning days ever at Tehachapi.... lovely in September, less so in early March. 

It's been raining a lot and not just over the passes, San Juan Capistrano has some really wet days recently and that's only 2 or 3 miles from the beach!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Grizz said:

Not a US location, not even sure if someone has mentioned it in this post before.

http://webcam.deg.net/?a=showcam&w=showliveimage2&o=pla

Plattling, Southeast Germany. Great freight yard. Been watching it for years. 

Thanks for posting the link

I used to have it my bookmarks but lost it and couldn't remember the name!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, DanielB said:

Shame the formatting doesn't work on mobile. :(

I can see all the picture height, including the text at the top but the picture is hard over to the RH side, so no RH border. (Android) but it's not properly formatted for a PC either.

EDIT

screenshot.png.b227525d3cb01547ba41d9a2e29f5058.png

Edited by melmerby
Add image

• 4 weeks later...

I randomly logged onto the Deshler cam and got this

TPW4056.JPG.1b559536df465dc88d66213f53d543fc.JPG

It's a GP40X with the flared radiators, like a mini SD45.  Built in February 1978 as Southern Pacific's class leader 7200.  

It was second unit on another PSR land barge... 219 cars, a single DPU at 106 cars.

Wow!  

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be an awful lot of what we would call heritage equipment running around in the USA.

There are still plenty of ex Sante Fe locos in original livery but with a BNSF number 24 years after it ceased to exist and UP still has some ex Southern Pacific locos with just a UP number patch on the cab.

Freight cars seem to go back even further with long vanished lines still represented.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I love about the US, generally there is so much variety to be seen, despite what some people think. Actually, the same could be said about the UK, it's not all multiple units and even if we are talking about passenger trains, the sheer number of different types running mean that there's plenty of variety still out there, you just have to look for it.

On 18/12/2020 at 15:39, melmerby said:

There seems to be an awful lot of what we would call heritage equipment running around in the USA.

There are still plenty of ex Sante Fe locos in original livery but with a BNSF number 24 years after it ceased to exist and UP still has some ex Southern Pacific locos with just a UP number patch on the cab.

Freight cars seem to go back even further with long vanished lines still represented.

Quite a lot of those are also 'trade mark protection' cars.  Original schemes are not so prevalent these days.  Rarest I've seen were two Great Nothern blue woodchip cars complete with Rocky the mountain goat logos. These were in California heading east towards Barstow at Monolith. 

• RMweb Premium
On 01/01/2021 at 22:44, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Quite a lot of those are also 'trade mark protection' cars.  Original schemes are not so prevalent these days.  Rarest I've seen were two Great Nothern blue woodchip cars complete with Rocky the mountain goat logos. These were in California heading east towards Barstow at Monolith. 

That's what makes Freight in America so fascinating.

One of my greatest regrets, is in not having an interest in US railroads in June 2002.  At the time we stayed overnight in the Hitching Post Inn in Cheyenne, on our way towards Yellowstone.  Right outside our room, opposite our parked car, were the tracks to a UP marshalling yard.  I could kick myself!

image.png.10344225acd23db0b7b4c4df82f00739.png

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...