Virtual Railfan webcams

NickBrad

• RMweb Premium

Another good cam is the Trains mag one at Rochelle IL

It used to be a subscription one but is currently free (Temporarily?)

It's quite busy with BNSF & UP lines crossing

http://trn.trains.com/videos/webcams/2014/09/bnsf-and-union-pacific-in-rochelle-il

Another free one at Bergenfield NJ on the CSX River Line:

Not so busy

keith

Edit

Bergenfeld now gone from those addresses 20/01/19

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been watching the Rochelle camera for a couple of years. It asks you to register and when I first did I thought it would charge me a subscription but it did not. I get about six emails a year from the magazine which you agree to by registering but that is not a problem to me.

• RMweb Premium

I have been watching the Rochelle camera for a couple of years. It asks you to register and when I first did I thought it would charge me a subscription but it did not. I get about six emails a year from the magazine which you agree to by registering but that is not a problem to me.

It doesn't do that now, it's a straight feed.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

One problem I have found with the Virtual Railfan cameras is that the free ones (all 13) constantly change their You Tube address which mean if you bookmark them, after a couple of days they don't work and you have to do it again.

They are however, still free to view.

(Many are linked to from the Railcam UK site and the same thing happens)

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Dont get this on Britains trains:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj184SUrfrfAhUdShUIHWRNAGkQtwIwDHoECAoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D4rauSQXB69A&usg=AOvVaw0eBx5WRMjkv_4Zcod-kqXa

I tried sharing the short You Tube link but it says it's disabled.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

One problem I have found with the Virtual Railfan cameras is that the free ones (all 13) constantly change their You Tube address which mean if you bookmark them, after a couple of days they don't work and you have to do it again.

They are however, still free to view.

(Many are linked to from the Railcam UK site and the same thing happens)

Keith

Its a problem if the camera stops streaming, then YouTube changes the address for it, unfortunately.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Its a problem if the camera stops streaming, then YouTube changes the address for it, unfortunately.

Rich

Rather annoyingly all the free Virtual Railcam feeds do that regularly (every couple of days), whereas the free Railstream feeds (Chesterton, Fallston, Langraff & Cresson) don't but they aren't using You Tube.

Keith

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something different at SoNo tower:

1703880637_norwalk2.JPG.37d3aa41a774751fb57f2f0adb82c3e0.JPG

This was travelling towards us with the jib swinging from side to side a bit!

This is a busy passenger railway with frequent commuter trains as well as Acelas

Can't imagine doing that in the UK without a match truck.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

I love the sight and sound of rail grinding in the hours of darkness

003519.jpg.a8943f0f34b185232a85628495b8c8c2.jpg

Of course safety is always an issue and those hard hats can come in handy if, for example, the barriers are repeatedly activated and you find yourself under one as you wait to board the track machine...

003952.jpg.90a0a6032ce04801d509266e5b2da235.jpg

Regards, Gerry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Currently  VR has live footage from the cab of #630

It drops out occasionally so you have to reload the page from the menu

EDIT

Was live, now up as a 1 hour recording.

Edited by melmerby

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just been watching some of this.

It's quite unreal watching a preserved steam service running, whilst wagons are been switched in the yard and on/off the running track!

There was a period this afternoon when the steamer was returning from it's trip and had to wait whilst some wagons were moved out of the way!

• RMweb Premium

Another new cam up yesterday on VR

Plant City Florida.

This is where the old Seaboard Air Line & Atlantic Coast Lline crossed (Both CSX nowadays)

Edited by melmerby

• 1 month later...

I still dream/hope for the Thomasville NC camera to come around again on the free feeds, as much as i enjoy them, i can't quite justify a subscription for the infrequent use i have of their cams (probably view once a fortnight if I'm lucky atm).

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, NickBrad said:

I still dream/hope for the Thomasville NC camera to come around again on the free feeds, as much as i enjoy them, i can't quite justify a subscription for the infrequent use i have of their cams (probably view once a fortnight if I'm lucky atm).

Try this:

https://virtualrailfan.com/thomasville-nc-cam/

It's been always on my PC

EDIT It was free to air for at least 12 months but has now been blocked

They were on a promotional page with the two cams side by side

Edited by melmerby
change of info

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another cam added a few days ago is Paradise/Leaman Place which is where the Strasburg Railroad meets the electrified main line from Philadelphia & Harrisburg and on to Pittsburgh.

So far I have seen Freight, Electrically hauled push-pull set, EMU, Diesel hauled passenger train, track machine and inspection truck as well as Strasburg's steam train and diesel switcher with a few freight cars.

The route is home to the Keystone, one of Amtrak's high speed services running up to 125mph in places.