Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

• RMweb Premium

Wonder if the motor will be hidden underneath the chassis to reveal complete open passenger compartments just as Realtrack models have done with their DMU’s or whether the 158’s will follow the same layout as their own 150 units with the motor taking up 1/3 of the passenger seating area?

I thought the lowered motor was part of the specification?

Wonder if the motor will be hidden underneath the chassis to reveal complete open passenger compartments just as Realtrack models have done with their DMU’s or whether the 158’s will follow the same layout as their own 150 units with the motor taking up 1/3 of the passenger seating area?

Its low profile, same spec as the 117.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

is the end coupling going to be able to link units together or is it just cosmetic?

I am sure I recall reading earlier in this thread that for the 158 (and the turbostar family) Bachmann are introducing a working coupling.  I just hope that it is available as a spare part, as I will want to upgrade my 150 and 153 couplings to match...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was comparing the render of this 158 vs my model of the old one, and honestly it looks very much the same but with slightly improved underframe detail. I think i may be greatly dissapointed by this, especially ay 250 quid....

• RMweb Premium

I was comparing the render of this 158 vs my model of the old one, and honestly it looks very much the same but with slightly improved underframe detail. I think i may be greatly dissapointed by this, especially ay 250 quid....

Look on the bright side though , it will probably release the existing variants from peoples layouts onto the second hand market at reasonable prices. Whenever it arrives of course .

Edited by Legend

When is the 'Press Update' from Bachmann due this month? Shall be brilliant to see some high resolution photos of the class 158. 

It's normally July but this year the press update session is on 31 August followed by the Collectors' Club event on the Churnet Valley Railway on Sat 1st September so club members can get to see what we do at roughly the same time.

I don't really recall many grumbling about the size and shape of the old 158. Yes, the new one will have significantly more detail on the underframe and more finesse on the body components but the project originated in bringing DCC readiness and increased functionality to the model. It's not just slight improvements.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think there is a big improvement to the cab front, particularly around the lights (old style LEDs sticking through the plastic on the old version while the prototype has lights behind a glass panel covering the whole light cluster.).

There is also the roof (with post privatisation versions needing a very different air conditioning unit shown in the pre pro example)

Is it worth £150 or so over a current version? That comes to individual choice, personally I’m not convinced yet as it would only be a small part of my layout and the money could be better spent, but i am mighty tempted!

Is it worth £150 or so over a current version? That comes to individual choice, personally I’m not convinced yet as it would only be a small part of my layout and the money could be better spent, but i am mighty tempted!

I could never bring myself to buy the original models - there was something about the coarse nature of the jumper cables and other gubbins on the face, as well as the light fittings, which made it just a bit too toy-like for me. Though I freely accept that at speed on a layout it’s probably not that noticeable.

Personally, the new ones if done to modern standards are therefore likely to be worth it to me. Though as a DC Luddite my biggest irritation is that Bachman are only producing Regional Railways livery in a sound-fitted version. I’m hoping one of the box shifters will offer them minus chips. I’m happy to pay for quality, but not unwanted chipping.

Paul

Edited by Fenman
  • Like 1

The new tooling certainly looks to be finer and the air con modules on the roof look better too. I think it will be the underframe, motor and lighting where we will find the real improvements.

I’ve got several 158’s and won’t be changing them but I hope we see the Saltire version on the new tool like in 2mm as that will go very well with the new 170 when that comes out and I will certainly buy a new version then.

Cheers

Mark

It's normally July but this year the press update session is on 31 August followed by the Collectors' Club event on the Churnet Valley Railway on Sat 1st September so club members can get to see what we do at roughly the same time.

Sounds interesting, would a Collectors Club member be allowed to attend the press update? Certainly would interest me in membership! 

I am sure I can wait another month for high resolution photos of the 158 EP (I really can't, yet must appear patient!!!).

Sounds interesting, would a Collectors Club member be allowed to attend the press update? Certainly would interest me in membership! 

I am sure I can wait another month for high resolution photos of the 158 EP (I really can't, yet must appear patient!!!).

Although the press update is an event we look forward to it's not anything clandestine, particularly on this occasion, as the club members will have all the same information the following day. I try to get the information out same day here (but that will be the Saturday this year). There's normally no caviar or dancing girls, just late-arriving magazine staff (because most have a long journey) tripping over each others bags and camera gear in the meeting room at Barwell with EP and deco samples to inspect. This year we'll have the luxury of sitting in the station caff!

I did post a pic of the 158 here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135325-Bachmann-new-release-dates/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3220006

If you've got an invite to the Press Event then I'd have thought so. If not, as a CC member, you can get along and see all the same stuff the following day, or view it here once Andy has processed and posted everything.

G.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the press update is an event we look forward to it's not anything clandestine, particularly on this occasion, as the club members will have all the same information the following day. I try to get the information out same day here (but that will be the Saturday this year). There's normally no caviar or dancing girls, just late-arriving magazine staff (because most have a long journey) tripping over each others bags and camera gear in the meeting room at Barwell with EP and deco samples to inspect. This year we'll have the luxury of sitting in the station caff!

I did post a pic of the 158 here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135325-Bachmann-new-release-dates/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3220006

Sorry I was not implying anything clandestine or confidential for us mere customers. Just the Press Day seems to be a day full of information, must of it interesting if you find the wider modelling hobby....interesting. Perhaps a live feed or a video from the day would address many questions. As usually rmwebbers have to ask questions on here afterward and those members of the press, who attended and kind enough to share, tell us a few more details. So nothing top secret, just it sounds interesting as I find the hobby interesting (hence why model trains is one of my hobby’s).

I missed the better resolution photo of the class 158 (I did mean to ask Dennis myself but forgot). Yet in this day and age, the highest resolution possible should be used. We all have fibre broadband and retina screens, this is what it looks like on an iPad:

post-22366-0-86029300-1533397217_thumb.png

(I hate to sound a grump, yet the photo does not wow me. Not in terms of the model - clearly it shall be brilliant - yet in terms of photography. I know photos taken on the press day\seen in person shall wow me.)

We all have fibre broadband 

Being a pedant, no we don't.  Just a mile up the road from me there are people living in a village who struggle to get ordinary broadband at 1mb/s and are unlikely ever to get upgraded, whereas I enjoy speeds of over 70mb/s in a village of just over 700 people.  Indeed there are parts of the local market town which have yet to get superfast fibre.  Fibre broadband rollout is a lot more patchy than the urban dwellers think.

• RMweb Premium

Being a pedant, no we don't.  Just a mile up the road from me there are people living in a village who struggle to get ordinary broadband at 1mb/s and are unlikely ever to get upgraded, whereas I enjoy speeds of over 70mb/s in a village of just over 700 people.  Indeed there are parts of the local market town which have yet to get superfast fibre.  Fibre broadband rollout is a lot more patchy than the urban dwellers think.

At that speed, you'd be more likely to see the actual model 158 than the picture...…………

:jester:

Edited by newbryford

Also, there are many of us who are in other less well supported countries. I am one of the luckier ones in Australia who can get reasonable speeds, but there are many areas here that are like the village described by wombat (appropriately enough!!).

At that speed, you'd be more likely to see the actual model 158 than the picture...…………

:jester:

I see enough of them every day stopping at our station, the ERTMS means we only ever have 158s in the doom blue WAG livery.  Still, not for much longer as it looks like they will be replaced in the next few years with new CAF units.  In doom grey.

• 4 weeks later...