Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

Did anyone attend todays Press Event and happen to get a decent photo of the Class 158? I have searched all the magazines social media and many model shops - nothing. Was the 31st Aug event cancelled? 

Phil and I were there and I'll have an update to show tomorrow after 16.00 - it's embargoed until then to allow the Collectors' Club members attending the event tomorrow to see it before it goes out to a wider audience. It's even better in the flesh than the pic already seen.

That sounds very promising! I think I can say now (whilst expectantly waiting to see), that the Bachmann photo was rather uninspiring. Seeing that the Class 117 (something I have no interest in) looked specular in person, I have no doubt that the Class 158 shall be to the same impression. Looking forward to some decent photos :) If I have been lead to believe right, we might be in for a surprise or two at 16.00. 

• Like 1

That sounds very promising! I think I can say now (whilst expectantly waiting to see), that the Bachmann photo was rather uninspiring. Seeing that the Class 117 (something I have no interest in) looked specular in person, I have no doubt that the Class 158 shall be to the same impression. Looking forward to some decent photos :) If I have been lead to believe right, we might be in for a surprise or two at 16.00. 

No news yet?.

It did look stunning today. The only drawback I could see was that the later East Midlands version has seats which are much higher backed than those in the as built RR version. They are a very different shape and it appears as if a single tooling represents all seats types which is not accurate. That aside it looked great.

Guest teacupteacup

It did look stunning today. The only drawback I could see was that the later East Midlands version has seats which are much higher backed than those in the as built RR version. They are a very different shape and it appears as if a single tooling represents all seats types which is not accurate. That aside it looked great.

Its an engineering prototype so may not be the finished article.  EP's are to check that all the bits fit together (amongst other things)

• RMweb Gold

Hi. It’s looking very good though, and it’s clearly worth the protracted waiting period. Indeed I think it’s not far off the excellent Realtrack model of the class 156. I’ve two of those, and Im hoping to add at least one of these lovely 158’s to the collection too. So it’s well done, Bachmann, it’s well worth the wait.

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Was not keen on the look of the BSI functional coupler at Warley. When comparing with the prototype seems to not match up very well at all. It is good that it is functional but to me does not look right.

Yet, the coupler is light years ahead of the previous class 159 model! I rather have a compromise in a working coupler than a posable fake. I like these added value additions. But person, a correctly tooled additional fake coupler can be supplied. As I noted at Warley the coupler fits into a NEM socket. 

Talking of Warley, wow the 159 looked awesome! Sadly NSE is not an era for me, but I wait patiently for SWT and SWR liveries! Ive been saving since 2012 for the 158/159. A few pennies here and there, result in being able to buy big on release of additional liveries around 2020/21...if announced!! 

What SWT livery would modellers like most?

Original 2001/02 to 2007 livery with 2/3s red doors and small SWT branding?

Or

Wabtec refurbished 2007/08 the short lived orange doors at cab ends and full red doors on rest, with large SWT branding? (I think this was only on the 159/1s).

Or

Wabtec refurbished 2008/09 to 2017 orange doors and large SWT branding?

Or

Brush refurbished 2016/17 yellow doors, stripes replacing the swoosh and SWT branding to under window?

Would you prefer a 159/1 or an original 159? 

I personally would like to see the original SWT on a 159/0 and the wabtec 2009 plus on a 159/1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

With the 2019 announcements tomorrow are we hoping for any more 158 liveries to be added to the list?

Would love to see any of these liveries announced:

First Great Western 'local lines'

South West Trains

South Western Railway

Or maybe even some different variations in 158 tooling, for example the GWR/FGW 158/9s

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

With the 2019 announcements tomorrow are we hoping for any more 158 liveries to be added to the list?

South West Trains

South Western Railway

Or maybe even some different variations in 158 tooling, for example the GWR/FGW 158/9s

I agree that with the first batch of 158s due this Summer it would seem more than logical to announce further liveries on a new tooling. 

All of those liveries would be very nice. I would like to add Northern Abellio and the new Northern Arriva white livery. It would seem more logical to announce the Northern Abellio first as worn for a few years as more and more of the 158s in reality are been repainted into the new white livery, meaning that the Abellio won't be current for much longer. 

Sorry, could you explain. What tooling variation is needed to make a 158/9 3-car unit, apart from a cocktail stick, some decal fix and a new number?

South West Trains

South Western Railway

I'm just hoping we can see painted samples of those already announced sooner rather than later.

With the 2019 announcements tomorrow are we hoping for any more 158 liveries to be added to the list

South West Trains

South Western Railway

Not sure we need more liveries just yet,let's get the model out first.

• Agree 1