Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

• RMweb Premium

A decorated sample of the 158 is on show at York MRS. It’s looks good. However to my eyes and knowledge of the class 158, the joint between the cab front and bodyshell has been modelled as a piece of beading which is totally wrong

9DF2680A-53F9-4E84-B744-0F6EE44ACB2A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The cab join does not seem accurate at all when compared to images of the prototype. Compared it to no less than 20 images and looks nothing like the prototype to my eyes in this area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting that the suspension items picked out in blue are very much when the units left Derby. This paint seemed to vanish very quickly and cannot find any pictures later than March 1991 with this still in the colour listed. Also the interior table shape not convinced? Have the Chapman seats been tooled on the EMT variant? The original as built type has a significantly different appearance....

5 hours ago, richierich said:

A decorated sample of the 158 is on show at York MRS. It’s looks good. However to my eyes and knowledge of the class 158, the joint between the cab front and bodyshell has been modelled as a piece of beading which is totally wrong

9DF2680A-53F9-4E84-B744-0F6EE44ACB2A.jpeg

Looking good so far :dirol_mini: Any samples in GWR livery?

Edited by Connor43002

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Livery samples now would point to a 2019 target for release, surely?

Maybe just in time for Christmas.

We have had Livery samples for the class 90 for quite some time. I think the hold up is more likely production slots.

The availability page currently shows:

• 31-517 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158849 BR Regional Railways TBA

• 31-517DS Class 158 2-Car DMU 158849 BR Regional Railways Jan-20

• 31-518 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158773 East Midlands Trains Feb-20

• 31-518SF Class 158 2-Car DMU 158773 East Midlands Trains TBA

• 31-519 Class 158 2-Car DMU 158766 GWR Green (FirstGroup) Feb-20

• 31-519SF Class 158 2-Car DMU 158766 GWR Green (FirstGroup) TBA

• 31-520 Class 159 3-Car DMU 159013 BR Network SouthEast (Revised) Jan-20

• 31-520SF Class 159 3-Car DMU 159013 BR Network SouthEast (Revised) TBA

• 2 weeks later...

The ones I would think that would be next for Bachmann would be -

Northern White and Blue
First Scotrail Barbie

Central Trains green and black.

I was thinking about Alpha Line, Northern Spirit Transpennine (Purple and Gold), WYPTE Red and Cream and Scotrail Saltire, but the last one would need lighting changes to model, which I suspect have been done.

I also think that Northern Blue and Purple is just as likely as White and Blue and might be a better choice to go with others who have all bought Northern Stock of class 142/144/150/153/156 in that livery with likely 156 and 158 to follow.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

The ones I would think that would be next for Bachmann would be -

Northern White and Blue
First Scotrail Barbie

Central Trains green and black.

I was thinking about Alpha Line, Northern Spirit Transpennine (Purple and Gold), WYPTE Red and Cream and Scotrail Saltire, but the last one would need lighting changes to model, which I suspect have been done.

I also think that Northern Blue and Purple is just as likely as White and Blue and might be a better choice to go with others who have all bought Northern Stock of class 142/144/150/153/156 in that livery with likely 156 and 158 to follow.

I agree with the latest Northern livery but add TfW as well South Western Railway.  By the time the EMT one comes out, they will be starting to repaint them in Abellio livery.

16 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I agree with the latest Northern livery but add TfW as well South Western Railway.  By the time the EMT one comes out, they will be starting to repaint them in Abellio livery.

Yeah but that's one reason why I think instead the Northern Blue and Purple should be done first, as the longer Bachmann leave it the less demand will exist, even if others have models that match as some will model what they see now. Hence I'd go with Purple and Blue first and then add in White and Blue as a follow up as demand will build and exist for that as the current scene becomes established.

On 16/02/2019 at 15:56, Andy Mac said:

Personally, i’d Be in favour of having to use your correct details....

it might stop stop some of the toxic posts on here being given from behind anonymous profiles.... to stop people telling lies then they would need to prove their identity before being allowed access...

Staying off topic-

It would also prevent people like me who have access to 'privileged' information from posting it as our employer would no doubt have issues with us posting some of the information on-line. 

Edit-

Why does the (large, ugly) coupling between the coaches have to be low down, why cant it be inside the gangways where it would effectively be hidden most of the time.

Edited by royaloak

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Shoey said:

Does anyone know if the GWR 158 is going to come in a gloss finish? Or will it be the same as Hornby’s GWR 153?

I saw a video last night on YouTube, which showed the Bachmann stand at a show recently and it showed the GWR 158 on display. The finish did look very shiny and indeed gloss. Although it will be a pre-production sample I would assume that the finish will be correct and the same as the final models. Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, royaloak said:

Edit-

Why does the (large, ugly) coupling between the coaches have to be low down, why cant it be inside the gangways where it would effectively be hidden most of the time.

There wouldn't be enough sideplay for it to be in the corridor.

Otherwise, you'd be very limited on useable radius.

Cheers,

MIck

Just now, newbryford said:

There wouldn't be enough sideplay for it to be in the corridor.

Otherwise, you'd be very limited on useable radius.

Cheers,

MIck

I hadnt thought of that :blush:, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I saw a video last night on YouTube, which showed the Bachmann stand at a show recently and it showed the GWR 158 on display. The finish did look very shiny and indeed gloss. Although it will be a pre-production sample I would assume that the finish will be correct and the same as the final models. Hope this helps. 

Yeah I did think that myself that it looks rather shiny. Though I’m not a fan of the gloss, I’m sure it’ll still be a superb model but may have to crack open a jar of satin varnish :paint:

I quite like the finish on the sides... but agree the roof is too shiny for me. Be interesting to see the final versions and I hope the finish is as good.

Overall looks a great model to me and looking forward to this release. The coupling between the units does appear a bit clonky compared the finesse of the rest of the model. 

Cheers

Will 

• Agree 1