Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

On 10/05/2019 at 08:35, dj_crisp said:

Overall looks a great model to me and looking forward to this release. The coupling between the units does appear a bit clonky compared the finesse of the rest of the model.

Based on what i have seen on the the Blue Pullman, the track pick up, interior lighting, running lights, door interlock lamps and cab lighting are probably connnected to a single decoder in one car. This saves the cost of a second decoder just for lighting.

At the same time, the coupling increases the cars' separation on curves to allow it to run safely on a reasonably tight radius.

The slightly bulky coupling carrying all those connections is a very acceptable compromise; a nice case of 'function over form'.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

True... and this one will hopefully need a fair few functions! 

Always a compromise needed somewhere and I'll always go for something practical (I use kadees after all).  Still think they could designed something a little more discrete which could tuck in closer the corridor connection and be a bit thinner. 

On 09/05/2019 at 19:39, Shoey said:

Does anyone know if the GWR 158 is going to come in a gloss finish?

On 09/05/2019 at 19:53, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I saw a video last night on YouTube, which showed the Bachmann stand at a show recently and it showed the GWR 158 on display. The finish did look very shiny and indeed gloss. Although it will be a pre-production sample I would assume that the finish will be correct and the same as the final models.

On 10/05/2019 at 02:47, Shoey said:

Yeah I did think that myself that it looks rather shiny. Though I’m not a fan of the gloss, I’m sure it’ll still be a superb model but may have to crack open a jar of satin varnish :paint:

The pre-production GWR 158 was on display today at the Derby MMRG show and the finish of the specimen model is indeed veering toward the edge of being slightly glossy, in contrast of course to the matt diagonal bodyside bands. However, I was reliably informed that the plan is to tone the glossy finish down slightly for the production models.  I'd imagine that at least some 'sheen' would be desirable in order to retain the all-important contrast with the matt banding.  I was generally a little unsure on the 158 from previously only viewing online photos, however when all is said and done this does look rather a splendid model once seen in-the-flesh.  I'm pretty sure I'll be bagging a GWR variant for myself.  :)

Edited by YesTor
  • Like 1

Gloss? Well I am grumpy now. That is likely my GWR 158 and 150/2 cancelled! I thought I have been patient (as much as I can be) since 2012 with the twists and turns of the 158, but gloss! Seriously! Let's hope Bachmann do re-consider, but this won't be the first gloss I have not bought - Hornby have many GWR HSTs still on the shelf (I was told on RMWeb that the gloss would not put off customers and the GWR HSTs would sell - Hmm). The brightness of the shine on the shelf scares away customers! 

Edited by 159220
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 159220 said:

Gloss? Well I am grumpy now. That is likely my GWR 158 and 150/2 cancelled! I thought I have been patient (as much as I can be) since 2012 with the twists and turns of the 158, but gloss! Seriously! Let's hope Bachmann do re-consider, but this won't be the first gloss I have not bought - Hornby have many GWR HSTs still on the shelf (I was told on RMWeb that the gloss would not put off customers and the GWR HSTs would sell - Hmm). The brightness of the shine on the shelf scares away customers! 

That sounds like a re-varnish job my friend! I don’t think that’d put me off the livery too much if I really wanted GWR, to be honest I have a thing for re-varnishing all my locos and stock as part of the renumbering/weathering stages, so you get used to doing it - Maskol is your friend as no worries to having to rip out windows!!

I must say that the original RR Express livery is the forgotten star of the show, it’s looking promising from the shots and models I’ve seen at the shows! Slap some Alphaline branding on or instead renumber to some of the rare ones that Virgin Cross-Country used to use and it’s good for a layout!

The raised cab panel line issue looks interesting, it might be that in the plastic, this becomes more easy to live with! From the outset I was convinced that my old Bachmann 158s were still good and how could they improve on what are essentially smooth plastic tubes, but I think they’ve pulled it off and these do look superb.

For future livery frothing, I’d love to see my personal baby come to life on this - Bachmann please give us a GINSTERS! :lol::lol:

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, James Makin said:

I must say that the original RR Express livery is the forgotten star of the show, it’s looking promising from the shots and models I’ve seen at the shows! Slap some Alphaline branding on or instead renumber to some of the rare ones that Virgin Cross-Country used to use and it’s good for a layout!

The raised cab panel line issue looks interesting, it might be that in the plastic, this becomes more easy to live with! From the outset I was convinced that my old Bachmann 158s were still good and how could they improve on what are essentially smooth plastic tubes, but I think they’ve pulled it off and these do look superb.

I had a good look at the Regional Railways example at Bristol the other weekend, body wise I think the two most obvious improvements was that they have got the roof right for the 2000s examples with the modified aircon units.   While the front of the unit is a massive improvement as is the underframe. 

That said, I still think with some skill you can get to 80% of the Bachmann model for 20% of the price if you are prepared to do some modelling.   

Definitely need Railtec or someone to sell some Alphaline Wales & West logos to enable conversion of the Regional Railways to a 1998/1999 machine....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2019 at 15:56, Andy Mac said:

Personally, i’d Be in favour of having to use your correct details....

Define “correct details”. There is no such thing as a legal name in the UK. You can use what ever name you wish as long as its not for criminal activities. Names are covered by common law. There is one law which is about not using real names etc.

People may use different names for all sorts of legitimate reasons. Being able and happy to use your regular name is a privilege. People use different names because they are avoiding abusive partners; LGBT people how get abuse and harassment; they are female in a make arena and get abuse; their regular name doesn’t match their identify such as trans people; and so on. 

Peesonally I have been attacked due to LGBT and because I’m female and a senior person in the tech industry and some men seem to think that makes me fair game.

• Funny 1

On 14/05/2019 at 12:52, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Looking at the GWR model, the recess where the gangway stabilisers sit don’t look deep enough. It also doesn’t help that they are yellow on the model. 

Pic of 158701 attached- it’s not the clearest but hopefully you’ll see it. I would estimate that the recess is at least 6inches deep on the real thing - it’s useable as a step! 

59830367-201C-4C5E-8158-87DA234849ED.jpeg

This tope came up on one of the facebook pages that I'm in recently. I have to say I've also got reservations about the front air dam as well - less for for the width of the coupling pocket - which has obviously been made wider for the new couplings, but there's something about the shape of it as well. I don't think the angle of the plough extends outwards enough (from a side profile view), while I'm not fully convinced that the plough is as sharply curved as it could be. 

I think I may have to look to see what's available in the 3D Print world. 

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7782.JPG

Of note there is the first of the NSE 159 Cars coupled up to the Reggie Rail Car. 

Unfortunately however, that unnecessarily prominent cab seem still appears to be too chunky, and there's something about the face. 

• Agree 1

On 01/06/2019 at 21:45, surfsup said:

Unfortunately however, that unnecessarily prominent cab seem still appears to be too chunky, and there's something about the face. 

I agree apart from the side issue of the cab join as covered there is something not right with the front of the unit. The functional coupler looks nothing like a BSI but there is something else in addition to that. Something at the front is not right....

On 01/06/2019 at 21:45, surfsup said:

The unseemly seam, hey!  Are you able be more specific about the facial issue at all, please?  Only I'm familiar with EMT 158s and it looks pretty accurate to my observer's eye.

30 minutes ago, cs233 said:

I agree apart from the side issue of the cab join as covered there is something not right with the front of the unit. The functional coupler looks nothing like a BSI but there is something else in addition to that. Something at the front is not right....

Again, is it possible to be more definitive or specific, otherwise we're  at risk of being becalmed in the doldrums of perception. ;)

• RMweb Gold
On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:45, surfsup said:

I think the seem looks more prominent in some liveries than others - obviously just a trick of the light. For example, it doesn't look so bad on the GWR livery samples.

Sadly for me, the liveries I like seem to show if off to its worst... And I just can't look past it.

I wish Bachmann would sort that one as it is not an easy fix at home, and it just isn't there on the prototype.

Roy 

Edited by Roy Langridge
Improved text

9 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Again, is it possible to be more definitive or specific, otherwise we're  at risk of being becalmed in the doldrums of perception. ;)

I think the pictures by surfsup cover it well, it is above the snowplough\cowling where it joins the body, and also at the side of the lower body (again above the cowling) it does not have the sharper edges as per the prototype it is more curved on the model. It needs a closer look but to me there is something wrong in this area it just does not seem as per the prototype. 

Edited by cs233

8 hours ago, cs233 said:

I agree the face does look off but it's not something that is easy to identify. I think the yellow around the front cab window is too thick. In real there is virtually no yellow between the window and the sticky out gangway.

IMG_5285.JPG

Edited by bart2day
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, bart2day said:

I agree the face does look off but it's not something that is easy to identify. I think the yellow around the front cab window is too thick. In real there is virtually no yellow between the window and the sticky out gangway.

IMG_5285.JPG

What this does demonstrate well is the cab module seam, which is very visible from this angle/ in this livery.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

What this does demonstrate well is the cab module seam, which is very visible from this angle/ in this livery.

As you say, very visible, but not raised. It is actually a thin groove. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2019 at 10:49, Roy Langridge said:

As you say, very visible, but not raised. It is actually a thin groove. 

Roy

I think there may have been changes, certainly on the SWR 158s. I travelled over to Romsey on one on Saturday and the groove has been covered with a very wide black layer that makes them very obvious. I wonder if Bachmann did their drawings from data collected by a SWR (SWT) version.

all the best

Godfrey

IMG_5502.jpeg

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
Adding photos - sorry only taken with an iPhone
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

Found out why Scotrail have moved the hopper windows on their 158s.... there is a luggage rack partly filling the first bay so the window wouldn't open! I was discussing a train prep with my trainee today and she asked why they needed the windows if the unit has air con. Had to point that it wasn't always reliable!!

:lol::lol: Aircon, that'll be in the same paragraph as fully working HST

3 hours ago, SprinterMan30 said:

Any clues as to when the Units are going to be released? Hattons are saying on their website July/August whilst the others are saying January/February next year!

Bachmanns own website says February 2020 for all three versions so that's probably the earliest we'll see them on the shelves.