Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

3 hours ago, SprinterMan30 said:

Any clues as to when the Units are going to be released? Hattons are saying on their website July/August whilst the others are saying January/February next year!

Seriously, why are you looking at Hattons website for Bachmann stuff?

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Andy Mac said:

Seriously, why are you looking at Hattons website for Bachmann stuff?

Because Hattons are the holy grail to some people, most of us have seen the light and moved on years ago!

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Darlington South Junction said:

Probably the Hybrids

Probably simpler to buy 2x 2-car GWRs and make the necessary adjustments to allow the inner and outer ends to couple. Then some wiring adjustments to allow through control of lighting. So would imagine an RTR example would be unlikely.

798 however, they are tooling up a MOS for the 159s. But admittedly unlikely that they'd do the one off unit.

• Like 1

The 158/9s should have been disbanded by now, yet this has been delayed until the December 2019 timetable change. This shall see 2x158/9s remain,  which along with 158798/150001/002, shall work the Barnstaple's. The rest of the 158/9 fleet shall be re-formed back into their original 2-car formations to cover for Cornwall half-hourly services along with the HST GTi's.

What I would utterly utterly love is for the FGW 'dynamic lines' 158/9s! These ran from early 2008-today.

Edited by 159220
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I’m glad somebody else has mentioned the ‘dynamic’ or ‘local lines’ livery as they wore this for so many years as you have stated 159220. Also hoping for the 150/2 also in this livery, can’t help but feel though (going off topic here) that the Hornby class 153 is sliding towards being in the RailRoad range... May start a new topic on this if there’s enough interest. 

1 hour ago, Shoey said:

I’m glad somebody else has mentioned the ‘dynamic’ or ‘local lines’ livery as they wore this for so many years as you have stated 159220. Also hoping for the 150/2 also in this livery, can’t help but feel though (going off topic here) that the Hornby class 153 is sliding towards being in the RailRoad range... May start a new topic on this if there’s enough interest. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what makes you think that? 

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Darlington South Junction said:

Indeed, the 153 is far from being a railroad model. If that is to be the level that makes something railroad, Hornby won’t have much left. 

Roy

• Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Darlington South Junction said:

1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

Indeed, the 153 is far from being a railroad model. If that is to be the level that makes something railroad, Hornby won’t have much left. 

Roy

Ok, I may have been a little harsh to locate the 153 in the RailRoad range but just feel as though it could do with an upgrade or even retool slightly (if cost effective) it’s lack of prototypical lighting, ploughs that clip and turn with the bogie (I know there are other models/manufacturers that do this too) internal lighting, orange door lights. Just when you compare it to this 158 that is due and Realtrack’s already released 156.

Hey guys look, it’s just my opinion. The 153 has been around for many years and I just feel as though it might be time for an upgrade.

I won’t say anymore on this as it’s diverting away from the topic of this thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Shoey said:

Aye, FGW livery first appeared in early October 2007 (I cannot remember the unit number) and can still be found today on 158763 (all be it, in one shocking level of tatter) - that gives the livery 11 years, 10 months and counting (train vinyl is made for 7 years). Not as long as SWT livery, but fairly close! The 159/9s were first re-formed at FGW in early (March - 158951) 2008, with 158960 lasting until last month - 11 years, 3 months. 

Only thing, I know its utter fantasy to wish that we would ever see this livery on a model. Seeing as Bachmann claim they cannot produce FGW or Wessex on the 150/2 with their fancy ink jet printer (as per 66 specials). I suspect the FGW shall never appear. Which is a shame. But, like with anything - money talks. So as with a Wessex 150/2. I would be willing to pay a handsome premium to have a FGW 158/9 or two. Say £100-200 ontop of the base model? Who else would?

Edited by 159220
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2019 at 12:27, Wild Boar Fell said:

Probably simpler to buy 2x 2-car GWRs and make the necessary adjustments to allow the inner and outer ends to couple. Then some wiring adjustments to allow through control of lighting. So would imagine an RTR example would be unlikely.

798 however, they are tooling up a MOS for the 159s. But admittedly unlikely that they'd do the one off unit.

You’d need to buy three 2 car sets to make two hybrid units.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Are you sure?

How do you work that out?

Pure maths, you need six carriages to make two hybrid sets; DM (A) - DM (B) - DM (A) - 52xxx or 57xxx car.  If you bought just two 2 car sets, you’ll have a spare DM left over.

As I worked with them on a regular basis, I know.

Edited by jools1959

Just now, jools1959 said:

Pure maths, you need six carriages to make two hybrid sets; DM (A) - DM (B) - DM (A) - 52xxx or 57xxx car.  If you bought just two 2 car sets, you’ll have a spare DM left over.

I misread the post I quoted and deleted my reply within one minute, you must have managed to quote me before it was deleted, quick work.

You are of course correct.

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2019 at 09:37, Sir TophamHatt said:

Sorry to bump this with a boring question but wondered if anyone could tell me how long one coach is?

With and without couplings.

Just want to plan storage.

The prototype is 23.21m thus *IF* Bachmann have gone to correct scale, it *should* measure 30.46cm - or am I going mad with maths?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A shot of the 158 samples from Warley yesterday. Spoke to one of the reps in the lounge as they were keen to see what items I was interested in and apparently they’re expected to arrive in the middle of next year. 

Warley NEC

cheers Peter

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Pedro32 said:

A shot of the 158 samples from Warley yesterday. Spoke to one of the reps in the lounge as they were keen to see what items I was interested in and apparently they’re expected to arrive in the middle of next year. 

Warley NEC

cheers Peter

I’m kind of hoping that Bachmann DON’T announce anything for 2020 and just get on and produce the stuff that they have been promising over the last few years.  I can’t believe that it’s taken 5 years from announcement to this far, even with Bachmann’s issues but that beyond belief.

I’ve generally preferred Bachmann’s products over Hornby but with the likes of Accurascale, Cavelex, revamped Heljan and a few other’s, I just feel Bachmann are resting on their laurels and in danger of losing out to the new manufacturers.

• Agree 4

8 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

... I can’t believe that it’s taken 5 years from announcement to this far, even with Bachmann’s issues but that beyond belief.

It’s actually worse than that: 7 years since announcement, so 8 years until it’s now scheduled to be in the shops (though Bachmann’s site claims it’s due in February 2020 rather than the summer date referred to above).

Paul

• Agree 2

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’m kind of hoping that Bachmann DON’T announce anything for 2020

To the sound of this forum wailing and gnashing their teeth at the lack of new announcements presumably.

18 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I just feel Bachmann are resting on their laurels and in danger of losing out to the new manufacturers.

The 158 has, as they have admitted several times. taken longer than it should. Partly this is down to the Chinese factory problems and partly down to a massive improvement in the specification to that originally planned.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

To the sound of this forum wailing and gnashing their teeth at the lack of new announcements presumably.

The 158 has, as they have admitted several times. taken longer than it should. Partly this is down to the Chinese factory problems and partly down to a massive improvement in the specification to that originally planned.

I wasn’t “wailing or gnashing of my teeth”, I was just expressing my dismay at the time taken on not just the Class 158, but other items as well.  I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one in this respect.

I think 99.9% of people are aware of the issues Bachmann had with their factory and China raising the minimum wages but it would have been helpful if Bachmann had given regular updates as it seemed like pulling teeth to get any information.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Administrators
Just now, jools1959 said:

I wasn’t “wailing or gnashing of my teeth”, I was just expressing my dismay at the time taken on not just the Class 158, but other items as well.  I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one in this respect.

I think 99.9% of people are aware of the issues Bachmann had with their factory and China raising the minimum wages but it would have been helpful if Bachmann had given regular updates as it seemed like pulling teeth to get any information.

It's not all about you. Look at any of the recent announcements over the last few years and you'll find plenty of people moaning there isn't anything in it for them and there's nothing new or exciting. Those are followed by others saying that it's good the manufacturers are catching up.

We provide a lot of updates on RMweb and in BRM. There are at least 2 official briefings a year plus details in the collectors club magazine that tend to be spread here too - do you want a daily running commentary?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2