Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

1 hour ago, cs233 said:

Indeed the most stylish of liveries in my humble opinion and nothing has come close since. 

It's a genius livery indeed  I love the way the light and dark blue stripes tie in with Regional railways , while the beige livery elements hint at INTERCITY - very clever. 

Jon 

3 hours ago, fezza said:

These look good but £300+ will test the market's patience, especially as DMUs don't seem to sell well.  The last sound fitted DMU I bought cost £220 - this is a big leap.

Slightly less than the Realtrack 156 with sound but that does have two sound chips.

3 hours ago, fezza said:

These look good but £300+ will test the market's patience, especially as DMUs don't seem to sell well.  The last sound fitted DMU I bought cost £220 - this is a big leap.

I paid 199.99 for the sound fitted NSE 101 from rails earlier this year. Other retaillers still have them for a similar price so like you say they haven't shifted very quicky

Amazed that Bachmann seem to have got the 158s in the shops sooner than their most recent estimate.  OK, a matter of a couple of weeks compared to how many years of waiting but, in the right direction.

Now it's on the shelves I really must get my layout finished.  I put up the shed about the same time the Class 158 was announced and I thought it would be arriving just in time to Christen the new layout.  Look like I was right.

• Agree 1

Hurrah! Mine has just arrived and what a gem. 1000% worth the wait and I look forward to playing with it in due course. 

For those interested, it is a lot darker than Hornby’s take on GWR Green. Yet considering the livery in real life does often look gloomy I would say Bachmann have captured the livery more true. Best thing, it is NOT gloss! It has a satin finish which is not too bad at all. 

One thing, any one else have missing toilet tanks on the 52xxx car? 

99B350C7-E0CC-4BA8-AD92-1D2C9A69D03E.jpeg.1afa7ee0d9dbec6f2746eab1cda3eb94.jpeg

4B50D767-D2FB-4CAF-A456-69707357EFF2.jpeg.30fbdd813b6ef0e999d11ae132dadbe7.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Anybody with a sound fitted one care to offer some thoughts on the quality of the sound file and speaker setup?

Tempted to order one but unsure whether to get a bare non fitted example and see what other sound files are out there.

Is it a V5 or Zimo?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Foden said:

Anybody with a sound fitted one care to offer some thoughts on the quality of the sound file and speaker setup?

Tempted to order one but unsure whether to get a bare non fitted example and see what other sound files are out there.

Is it a V5 or Zimo?

Yes I’d like to know this too.  I’d guess it would be a Loksound Select like the recent class 37s with DCC Sound. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Foden said:

Is it a V5 or Zimo?

Digitrains posted a short video of one running (sound fitted) on Facebook yesterday. Sounded good to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Digitrains posted a short video of one running (sound fitted) on Facebook yesterday. Sounded good to me.

Based on that video, it seems like the two-tone horn sound is pre-recorded rather than playable low and high notes. This is my biggest issue with most factory-fitted sound packages.

I've ordered the non-sound RR version from AGR.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers guys. Just ordered the basic DCC ready one myself now.

Reservations over the decoder type (not interested in a select), and some of the sounds as mentioned above has just left me wanting to leave my options open with the sound.

Still need to find a decoder now to get it going. Where has non sound DCC fitted option vanished to?!

• RMweb Gold

I’ve bought the Regional Rail version, non dcc, from Monk Bar Models, and it’s superb. The cab end, and I’m mindful of the error that has been noted on here, is much better than on the original class 158 model. No more ‘sticking out’ LED’s, and cab interior detail too. I wonder if the cab interior is accessible so a driver can be put into it? The instructions are not too clear about that. And I like the seats which are finally correct, unlike the very tall and plump ones in the original model, plus the fact it has tables in the right places too. All this is nicely visible when the interior lights are on.

Please note. You cannot run the 52xxx car solo, since it needs the 57xxx car with the chip/or blanking plug etc., to enable it to run - a bit like having a decoder in a steam locomotives tender.

But it’s more than worth the wait, and is a most definite step up from the original model. I could not be more pleased.

I’ll post some photo’s later on.

Regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Some photo’s of the Regional Railways version as promised earlier on.

A29FC264-FB61-4E25-9686-8EDB3673405B.jpeg.f355b2a7db9732491b3db700804cb1e4.jpeg

77D1317A-8A9E-4E98-BEAB-4544B1690C53.jpeg.bfee49ecf6b403dab395439e27a73e18.jpeg

797ACE28-8C6A-4291-BAAF-2CF041915A32.jpeg.3086196fb3f0cf029983b63cc9e91cdf.jpeg

76448179-9457-4D30-BF3B-9C25589169A8.jpeg.23ea159c630adb13d0bf64384737e273.jpeg

What a fine model it is, and compares well with the lovely Realtrack class 156.

Regards,

Rob.

Absolutely stunning, cannot wait to get mine!

And to echo that already said, what an elegant livery on the lovely shape of the Mk4 design. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Most 158s were built without first class.  Some had first class retro fitted but most were delivered without it.

On delivery they had “EXPRESS” branding, Regional Railways did not yet exist.

A901BB3B-78B5-4743-87BA-F660CB195BCF.jpeg.82e62481e1f1fafc11d425649b5431f9.jpeg

the darker grey band does seem more pronounced on the model when over exposed, but closer to Bachmanns on an under exposed picture..937C6FE5-8F54-4AD6-A502-C350E79C54AB.jpeg.5dac7c8daa9a13669fbb9403aead7191.jpeg

just shows light plays tricks.

back to the model however, that’s quite a thick seam line running down the body side behind the drivers cab.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1