Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

Can anyone confirm the DCC socket its got?

For anyone wanting to hear the sound digitrains did a short video but World of railways also had a breief demo of the sound when andy y did a video showing the progress of the upcoming models, I think it was around june time

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Can anyone confirm the DCC socket its got?

For anyone wanting to hear the sound digitrains did a short video but World of railways also had a breief demo of the sound when andy y did a video showing the progress of the upcoming models, I think it was around june time

Hi,

I can't confirm it as I haven't got a 158 (yet) but Bachmann have announced a PluX22 DCC decoder for it so it probably has a PluX22 socket.

I'm guessing the PluX22 DCC decoder will be made by Zimo (as Rails say it will come with Brake Button enabled).

I'm also guessing it will be similar to the Zimo MX633P22 but minus a few hardware features such as stay alive connections.

image.png.78c992065929cae68cb64e5cb782a12d.png

Regards

Nick

Edited by NIK
MORE RESEARCH DONE
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

On delivery they had “EXPRESS” branding, Regional Railways did not yet exist.

A901BB3B-78B5-4743-87BA-F660CB195BCF.jpeg.82e62481e1f1fafc11d425649b5431f9.jpeg

the darker grey band does seem more pronounced on the model when over exposed, but closer to Bachmanns on an under exposed picture..937C6FE5-8F54-4AD6-A502-C350E79C54AB.jpeg.5dac7c8daa9a13669fbb9403aead7191.jpeg

just shows light plays tricks.

back to the model however, that’s quite a thick seam line running down the body side behind the drivers cab.

Nice photos. What year did they start receiving RR branding?

5 hours ago, Foden said:

Nice photos. What year did they start receiving RR branding?

From the line at Derby later units did get RR branding but there are multiple versions. RR branding appeared on the units built approx mid to late 1991. The Bachmann offering shows simply RR some of the units such as 757 for example amongst others left the factory with both Express and RR branding, the RR was present towards the rear of the lower stripes. Scotrail units also had such branding applied to the rear again and typically had a first class section. Of the Provincial\RR Express livery there are at least 4 differing versions of this. From 158815 and later builds of 158\0 units I believe it was just RR branding provided from the Derby line.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just had a look at the Digitrains video. The engine Sounds more like a Perkins TWH350 engine as used on Phase 2 158s 815-864?

For Regional Railways North East, and Scotrail, the Phase 1 fleet has the Cummins N14 350 used on 701-814 & 901-910, or Cummins N14 400 used on 865-872 and class 159/0 sets. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks a great model. I remember buying the original model when it came out. 

Local shop has already sold out of the none Sound Regional Railways. Maybe a consolation because 158849 wasn’t part of the Regional Railways North East fleet.

• Funny 1

A nice looking model.

For me the groove is the only disappointing feature. Not sure I would do anything about it though!

I think there is a little trick of light with the colours. I'm guessing  light reflection from the gloss sides in real photos make them look lighter as they look a little dark on the model.

I've always wanted a 158 and think I may just treat myself to one in the new year.

Cheers

Will

• Agree 1

Please bare in mind that 158849 was one of the later ones built and as a result was built when Regional Railways did exist. I think its largely always been a central/midlands area machine. 

I think the colour on the photo above is due to light. Bachmann look to have done a stunning job with this. 

• RMweb Gold

Got my regional 158 and love it will be holding the older version alongside to compare the only minus is the amount of underframe detail I pulled off to try and find the decoder socket!

Wish I had got the sound version now.

mark

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

I think its largely always been a central/midlands area machine. 

Happy to be corrected but according to an old Platform 5 publication Norwich Crown Point based this unit was under RR, so would have worked Norwich\Ipswich\Cambridge-Birmingham and Norwich\Ipswich\Cambridge-Liverpool\Blackpool services. Some images also suggest it did operate out of Cardiff on occasions, due to the efficiency and intensive diagramming of the 158's in the early years they could show up well outside of the traditional diagrams.

• RMweb Premium

Well mine has arrived but I'm fighting the temptation to have a look at it yet, as it's a Christmas pressie to myself, so going to save it for the day for something to look forward to.

I have to say though, from the videos I've seen and typified by Richard's video above, the slow speed starting of the model looks impeccable. One of the real pet hates I have, and this is made worse with sound locos, is seeing a unit for example raise revs from idle, and then jerk-off (forgive the term!) upto a scale 30mph within its own length. Such running characteristics completely ruins the illusion of watching a real railway in miniature for me, but this running is fantastic from what I've seen.

I also think it's worth note, that Bachmann deserve credit where it's due lately. We're (some more than others) quick to jump on their back with their release schedules and delays, but they've released some stunning models to the market recently. This, the Ransomes crane, the class 90, the Freightliner flats, to name a few are excellent models, and although individually they may have attracted criticism for the time they've taken to arrive on layouts, or their price, it cannot be denied that Bachmann can and are still producing some very fine models that are being exceptionally well received. In a world where the voice of disgruntlement often seems to shout the loudest, I'm happy to throw my hat in and say well done to the folk from Barwell.

Edited by Foden
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Foden said:

Well mine has arrived but I'm fighting the temptation to have a look at it yet, as it's a Christmas pressie to myself, so going to save it for the day for something to look forward to.

I have to say though, from the videos I've seen and typified by Richard's video above, the slow speed starting of the model looks impeccable. One of the real pet hates I have, and this is made worse with sound locos, is seeing a unit for example raise revs from idle, and then jerk-off (forgive the term!) upto a scale 30mph within its own length. Such running characteristics completely ruins the illusion of watching a real railway in miniature for me, but this running is fantastic from what I've seen.

I also think it's worth note, that Bachmann deserve credit where it's due lately. We're (some more than others) quick to jump on their back with their release schedules and delays, but they've released some stunning models to the market recently. This, the Ransomes crane, the class 90, the Freightliner flats, to name a few are excellent models, and although individually they may have attracted criticism for the time they've taken to arrive on layouts, or their price, it cannot be denied that Bachmann can and are still producing some very fine models that are being exceptionally well received. In a world where the voice of disgruntlement often seems to shout the loudest, I'm happy to throw my hat in and say well done to the folk from Barwell.

I completely agree. I haven't bought a 158 because I didn't plan to as none of the liveries in the first batch are really based on where I model which is the present day in the north. However recently I have gained a significant interest in GWR and I do really like their green colour and livery on the variety of units that they operate, especially the HST and 158. I was bought the special Old Oak Common GWR Power Car set for Christmas and Hornby have made a fantastic job of a very intricate livery. So firstly well done to Hornby which what looks to be one of the most complex liveries we have seen with several locomotives lined up down the side of one power car, but not only lined up but also very close and overlapping. What they have achieved with this set is brilliant and going into 2020 it shows how the hobby and manufacturers are striving forwards to produce some of the best and most intricate liveries we have ever seen. Now I have an interest in GWR and after seeing the fantastic reviews of the 158 I am really really tempted to buy one in the new year. Out of all of the reviews I have seen both on this site and on others I have seen no negative reviews or downsides of the model whatsoever. So yes it may have taken Bachmann five years to bring to the market from announcement to delivery but quite obviously they have done a brilliant job and others have mentioned that the new 158 is a real upgrade from the original releases of the 158. So yes I agree Bachmann should be praised, even though their delivery schedules and price increases aren't always ideal, when they deliver they do deliver exceptional products. I sold my original 158 a few years ago before the new 158 was even announced and I must say the fact that I didn't plan on buying a new 158 and now I am considering buying one shows that Bachmann really are ticking all of the right boxes to persuade customers to buy through producing such high standard, newly tooled models with a mass of DCC features. Well done Bachmann! 

Edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission
  • Like 3

Hi,

I think this is the first British RTR multiple unit with two coreless motors. The slow running seems impressive in the video posted above, usually videos show up any jerkiness. Hopefully the multiway coupler/connector between the coaches will prove reliable even for exhibition use. Good to see a company have the confidence to produce a new model to replace an older one.

Regards

Nick

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

The only issue is the cab lights operating the wrong way round, does anyone else's do this?

Is it he wrong way round or is it intended to represent a guard riding in the back cab?You often see the back cab lit up on units as the guard does their paperwork or whatever else goes on between stops in the back cab

Jo

• Agree 2

Courtesy of Digitrains:

The auto fade can be removed by changing CV130 = 0, so it can be on or off at anytime the cab light function button is 'ON' or OFF'. (default is CV130 = 60).

This does not change the end which illuminates, but it allows the Guard to have light when travelling.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Informative/Useful 2

The East Midlands set in the video appears to have the modern lighting set up without side marker lights. Does anyone know if the Regional Railways set has the correct early lighting arrangement?

Edited by giz

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, giz said:

The East Midlands set in the video appears to have the modern lighting set up without side marker lights. Does anyone know if the Regional Railways set has the correct early lighting arrangement?

It does, it’s in original condition.

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bart2day said:

Actually its 7 3/4 years to be exact. ;)

Thanks for clarifying, I didn't even know it had been longer than I originally posted. 

Still hasn't it been worth the wait. I don't own any Bachmann or Realtrack DMUs at the moment but I have to say that the 158 upgrade by Bachmann, from the positive reviews I have seen, must put it on a par with the Realtrack 143s, 144s, 156s and forthcoming 142s. Excellent work by both manufacturers. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2019 at 19:33, OTrail said:

Just got the EMT version in the post today and I'm very impressed. The only issue I have is with the couplings - was hoping to couple it up to my Realtrack 156

I like the idea of a working BSI, but without an NEM equivalent available to buy separately I assume all I can couple this to is another 158 ? .. 

can I remove it and fit another NEM style coupling ?

any thoughts out there ? (Besides removing what looks a good idea from an expensive DMU and rigging up something).

Edited by adb968008