Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I like the idea of a working BSI, but without an NEM equivalent available to buy separately I assume all I can couple this to is another 158 ? .. 

can I remove it and fit another NEM style coupling ?

any thoughts out there ? (Besides removing what looks a good idea from an expensive DMU and rigging up something).

Sadly you won’t be able to remove it without damaging the unit - the way the coupling’s set up is like with the inter-unit electrical couplings on their 150s and 350s.

Hopefully Bachmann release an NEM version - likelihood is I will be buying a second 158 and renumbering it though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

Is that the date when it was first listed as just a chassis upgrade with the old body or the later date when they announced that they were going to do a whole new model instead?

That was the date a OO Gauge 158 in Regional Railways and EMT liveries was announced by Bachmann. Had an RRP of £129.99 back then. :P Not entirely sure of the date when they announced it would be a whole new model but I would guess it was around 2016.

1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

Is that the date when it was first listed as just a chassis upgrade with the old body or the later date when they announced that they were going to do a whole new model instead?

I think this was the new model - was announced as DCC from the get-go

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, OTrail said:

I think this was the new model - was announced as DCC from the get-go

Definitely only announced  as a DCC upgrade at the start, not a full retool. I am not sure that the was ever a formal announcement date that a full retool was being undertaken, I thought that news just came out as part of a progress report. 

Roy

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Definitely only announced  as a DCC upgrade at the start, not a full retool. I am not sure that the was ever a formal announcement date that a full retool was being undertaken, I thought that news just came out as part of a progress report. 

Roy

Ok thanks - thought at the time they were going to upgrade it to the same standard as the Class 150

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Roy

It was a DCC/chassis upgrade at the beginning, but the bar was raised by the likes of the Realtrack 144 - and later 156. The 158 had to (at least) reach the same bar.

There were other issues within the Kader empire that created delays as well.

Like other bits of plastic and metal that run on parallel strips of metal, the world won't stop turning if said models are delayed.

But there will be much stomping of feet and temper tantrums in the meantime. [*]

Cheers,

Mick

[*] Although it is a tad annoying when one of the announced models is entirely appropriate for my layout that I started in 2014.........

But finally, my 158 will be ready to pick up when I next visit my LMS and debut at Stafford Ex.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, OTrail said:

Sadly you won’t be able to remove it without damaging the unit - the way the coupling’s set up is like with the inter-unit electrical couplings on their 150s and 350s.

Hopefully Bachmann release an NEM version - likelihood is I will be buying a second 158 and renumbering it though.

Thanks for this.

just a follow up question, how do you uncouple ? (If your dcc only) - is it electronic ? Or manual ?

Edited by adb968008

7 hours ago, OTrail said:

They are easily removed by undoing two screws.

If Bachmann make them available as spares it should be possible to fit them to other units with a bit of modification.

IMG_20191223_223156.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Ref colours, I'd agree the beige is a little dark, although the photograph in the above post actually looks better. I've had a quick look at mine and it is very nice, not run it yet though. 

Bit worried about the NSE 159 colours as well with the silver grey looking very dark on the pre-production shots.

Anyone know the Railmatch/Phoenix equivalent for RR beige? Is it Executive Light Grey?Looks an easy enough job to respray the band if I can't live with it. Or perhaps a bit of fading with a light wash of something.

12 hours ago, markw said:

They are easily removed by undoing two screws.

If Bachmann make them available as spares it should be possible to fit them to other units with a bit of modification.

IMG_20191223_223156.jpg

Perfect, was unaware of this thanks! Just got to hope Bachmann end up releasing them as spares now.

Bit of a thought but would the Hornby Scharfenberg couplings work? The basic mechanism (albeit the design) looks similar so they might fit together

Edited by OTrail

1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

Ref colours, I'd agree the beige is a little dark, although the photograph in the above post actually looks better. I've had a quick look at mine and it is very nice, not run it yet though. 

Bit worried about the NSE 159 colours as well with the silver grey looking very dark on the pre-production shots.

Anyone know the Railmatch/Phoenix equivalent for RR beige? Is it Executive Light Grey?Looks an easy enough job to respray the band if I can't live with it. Or perhaps a bit of fading with a light wash of something.

Its definitely not Executive Light Grey, that has more of a brown hint to it and the Regional Railways colour was a colder grey. Possibly RM244 Silver Grey from the Fox Transfers Paint guide?

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/paint-guide

Edited by GordonC
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, GordonC said:

Its definitely not Executive Light Grey, that has more of a brown hint to it and the Regional Railways colour was a colder grey. Possibly RM244 Silver Grey from the Fox Transfers Paint guide?

https://fox-transfers.co.uk/paint-guide

Silver grey is the main body colour for NSE class 159s, 442s and 321s . The regional railways ‘buff’ colour I don’t think has ever been done as paint , but fox did do it as transfers on a big long sheet specifically for the 158 - I’ve got a couple of sheets in my stash somewhere - from memory the sheet also had the light and dark blue stripes on it.

tfn

Jon

• Like 1

Is anyone else having problems with the lifeguards catching on points/ballast causing derailing all the time? (Using code-75 track)

Edit: Had another looked, It appears quite a few wheels had come dislodged. Is now running like a dream!!

Edited by centraltrains

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, centraltrains said:

Is anyone else having problems with the lifeguards catching on points/ballast causing derailing all the time? (Using code-75 track)

Edit: Had another looked, It appears quite a few wheels had come dislodged. Is now running like a dream!!

Yes found on mine that the none powered wheels had come out of the axle boxes easily fixed and mine also runs lovely.

• RMweb Premium

Mine also requires the wheels pinging back in. No real dramas there.

Also to answer a previous question the working coupling is a friction fit, not a mechanical coupling.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

Can anyone confirm the overall length of this 2 car unit please.

I have been on the Bachmann website but can not see this infiormation.

Thanks in advance.

610mm(2ft)over corridor ends - add 3mm each end for the BSI coupler head

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered 2 today, EMT and GWR,

i notice GWR is getting quite hard to find, many places out of stock at the lower price point. Went through several sites before I hit the jackpot, discovered a new shop for me tonight in the process.

I have ordered some potential pivoting NEM coupling mounts to trial fit.

I had an hour at Grantham this afternoon, seeing HTs new Azumas, last 180 running, and an EMT 158 slid through.. and a purple class 156/9.. whatever that is.

Edited by adb968008

Having been playing with the sound fitted RR unit for a few days it is superb. This is the best DMU available today for the UK scene. The lighting is indeed exactly as the units were originally much better than the Realtrack Provincial 156 in that respect.

The only two faults are the cab join which has already been discussed in detail this remains incorrect although it is not really an issue as the RR livery hides it well. The sounds are clearly the Cummins engine recording although 158849 as built had the different sounding Perkins engine but realistically how many people will notice?

Despite the two issues raised this is the benchmark and the best DMU available today.

• Like 1