Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

I'm using a Uhlenbrock PluX 22 which seems to work fine and the functions correspond with the Bachmann leaflet. DCC system is NCE PowerCab.

The model is quite a noisy runner though; has anyone else found this?

Edited by Pillar

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Pillar. My 158 is very quiet, and that’s just one of many things I particularly like about it. I hope yours is not faulty in any way, and that maybe some carefully applied lubricant, as per Bachmann’s instructions, with the recommended running in will enable the noise you have on your 158 to diminish greatly.

Rob.

8 hours ago, Pillar said:

I'm using a Uhlenbrock PluX 22 which seems to work fine and the functions correspond with the Bachmann leaflet. DCC system is NCE PowerCab.

The model is quite a noisy runner though; has anyone else found this?

The motors do make a slight whirring when they start but they're not noisy. 

In terms of your function buttons that's quite interesting to read as the leaflet does not detail F2 braking function (which the Bachmann Decoder leaflet does) so Directional Lights End B (on/off) is actually F3 and so on. With F6 Day / Night actually F7.

15828291053503803201556531900753.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones

• RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2020 at 18:59, martin_l_jones said:

I used a Lenz PluX 22-pin Silver Loco Decoder and some of the functions didn't work.

I will be intrigued to see if yours does.

I've actually purchased a Bachmann one and fitted it today.

The actual function buttons don't correspond with the documentation !!

Unless its my Gaugemaster !!  

Not been able to check functions till now

F0 head/tail lights illuminated 

F1 head lights off/ tail on

F2 tail lights off headlights on

F3 interior lighting on

F4 trailing cab lights

F5 nothing

F6 nothing

hope this helps

mark

On 28/02/2020 at 21:10, Markwj said:

Not been able to check functions till now

F0 head/tail lights illuminated 

F1 head lights off/ tail on

F2 tail lights off headlights on

F3 interior lighting on

F4 trailing cab lights

F5 nothing

F6 nothing

hope this helps

mark

Try F7 and onwards you may find the missing functions  in there...

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

Try F7 and onwards you may find the missing functions  in there...

Did have a quick press nothing obvious but have now got the 'proper' Bachmann one so going to swap anyway

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I heard today from the local “I’ve got a mate, who knows a mate who works at Bachmann” that Bachmann are really happy with the reviews regarding the Class 158 and 159 that they are drawing up a list of the second batch.

Personally I think it’s cobblers but in the past he’s said something which we’ve all dismissed and low and behold it’s either arrived or announced.  He said on the list, 2 car Class 158’s, Scotrail Saltaire livery, current Northern livery and Transport for Wales.  On the 3 car 158’s, Northern and 159’s, Stagecoach SouthWest trains.

Has anyone else heard this or shall I consider it bull s**t?

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I heard today from the local “I’ve got a mate, who knows a mate who works at Bachmann” that Bachmann are really happy with the reviews regarding the Class 158 and 159 that they are drawing up a list of the second batch.

I wouldn't say they have any reason to doubt those 6 words...

I think they've done a really nice job with them.. twin motors, nice couplings and good livery choices.

ive got the GWR & EMR versions, I think the older liveried ones aren't bad so as a DC user don't need to upgrade, but if I didn't already have them i’d buy the new one over the old one.. if your DCC its no brainer really.

on the basis of your post, and my experience a focus on new liveries would make total sense, no idea how that plays out wider, but i’d be in for 158702 in Saltaire (ironic as it was Scotrails first 158 and the one Bachmann did in Scotrail provincial livery) and a Northern one for sure.

I need a SWT 3 car 159, and noticed on ebay they are creeping to £190, on that basis i’ll wait for the new one.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I wouldn't say they have any reason to doubt those 6 words...

I think they've done a really nice job with them.. twin motors, nice couplings and good livery choices.

ive got the GWR & EMR versions, I think the older liveried ones aren't bad so as a DC user don't need to upgrade, but if I didn't already have them i’d buy the new one over the old one.. if your DCC its no brainer really.

I have a sound EMT version and I’d love to get the GWR one as well as I used to work for Wessex Trains, then First Great Western but I can’t justify the outlay on my present day Peterborough - Lincoln “joint line” layout.  Also battling (and winning) the “big C”, I’ve had to put a severe brake on my spending.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Id have a 3 car in the Northern Blue and Purple... as that would match the units already made for that Northern Franchise that are already on the market - especially those units with working sound and lights.  

You have the 144, 153, 150, 156 and 142 to follow... makes sense to add Northern Blue and Purple as well as White and Blue if Bachmann wanted.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 22:25, jools1959 said:

He said on the list, 2 car Class 158’s, Scotrail Saltaire livery, current Northern livery and Transport for Wales.  On the 3 car 158’s, Northern and 159’s, Stagecoach SouthWest trains.

I can see them running through a bunch of current liveries before doing others.

But then I can see the Central Trains green and perhaps Transpennine Express ones being popular.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newbryford said:

I know that Bachmann's EMT liveried 158773 should carry a nameplate for recent use. (See up-thread for details)

It now carries a new livery!

Isn't that what happens with modern models selected for production. Just when the model arrives the prototype changes livery/has modification/company, etc...

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Isn't that what happens with modern models selected for production. Just when the model arrives the prototype changes livery/has modification/company, etc...

Either that or the manufacturers bring the same livery/number that you've just repainted/renumbered to................

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Fenman said:

Mine arrived today (thanks, Kernow). It’s rather lovely. 

Paul

I'm very pleased with the final livery colours; exactly how I remember the NSE. Glad they decided to lighten the grey. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/03/2020 at 22:25, jools1959 said:

Personally I think it’s cobblers but in the past he’s said something which we’ve all dismissed and low and behold it’s either arrived or announced.  He said on the list, 2 car Class 158’s, Scotrail Saltaire livery, current Northern livery and Transport for Wales.  On the 3 car 158’s, Northern and 159’s, Stagecoach SouthWest trains.

Has anyone else heard this or shall I consider it bull s**t?

Well....

The current releases are of no interest to me (much to my dismay as it looks an excellent model), but potentially three of those are (Northern x2, ScotRail x1). If there are others like me who is only really interested in era 11 stock that is found north of Doncaster on or around the ECML then the list would be fairly good for them. Although in terms of these the ECML bit is irrelevant really. It's just the current releases are either wrong era or in the south.

Id probably go for a ScotRail 2 car and a Northern 3 car.

I was tempted by a GWR one, as I like the GWR livery but that just opens up a whole tin of worms, as I'd then probably end up with GWR 800s and HSTs too! That's how I ended up with ScotRail on the layout but at least it's region is connected to Northerns!

Edited by TomScrut