Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

• RMweb Gold

My mistake, I misread one of the threads and I thought it was about retooling the 158’s, 170’s, 220 and 221’s and when the Scotrail express units, I thought 170.  In my defence, it was late and my medication was making me woozy :P

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I have seen them listed on eBay, not sure if they fit this or the old tooling.

They were some 3D Printed versions of the old Hurst models version I'm afraid - which did look a lot better than Bachmann's new representation which still looks totally wrong to me (the angle of the plough is wrong, the air dam is too flat whereas the real thing is raked and the cut out has been made wider for their new coupling). I don't know if they'll fit the new 158 though. 

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 1

Any idea if retailers will start discounting these slightly more soon. At the moment they’ve all stuck to the 15% but I thought Bachmann only stipulate that’s required for the first 8 weeks after release? 

I dont want to buy one and then find a price drop a couple of weeks later.

1 hour ago, bart2day said:

Any idea if retailers will start discounting these slightly more soon. At the moment they’ve all stuck to the 15% but I thought Bachmann only stipulate that’s required for the first 8 weeks after release? 

Not sure how long they have to abide by it?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I’d like Scotrail Saltaire livery myself.

but if the original Scotrail /Provincial was done, i’d run it as a 2-car hybrid with a 156 car being the other vehicle, as operated in their first winter of service.

Good luck with that - Realtrack coupling <--> Bachmann coupling... Oh for the good old days of tension lock couplings, eh...?! :rolleyes:

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not sure how long they have to abide by it?

In all of this,please remember that retailers are after all in it for a livelihood .They need a profit to survive and never more so than now.It’s they who take the hit for our cut price “ good deal “ .Bachmann prices tend to hold for a good while longer than most anyway. Then of course there’s the eBay option.There have been a couple of sub £200 prices recently.

I wouldn’t expect miracles any day soon from Bachmann.....they don’t stock them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

In all of this,please remember that retailers are after all in it for a livelihood .They need a profit to survive and never more so than now.It’s they who take the hit for our cut price “ good deal “ .Bachmann prices tend to hold for a good while longer than most anyway. Then of course there’s the eBay option.There have been a couple of sub £200 prices recently.

I wouldn’t expect miracles any day soon from Bachmann.....they don’t stock them.

Yes but I am also presuming they aren't allowed to discount more than 15% on new items, in the same way Hornby have the 10% limit for 8 weeks after release (IIRC).

I know it's still up to the dealer if they discount after that, my point was is the product old enough for it to be allowed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Yes but I am also presuming they aren't allowed to discount more than 15% on new items, in the same way Hornby have the 10% limit for 8 weeks after release (IIRC).

I know it's still up to the dealer if they discount after that, my point was is the product old enough for it to be allowed.

That is an issue that is yet to be challenged. Ask yourself,is this the appropriate time to do so ?  

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

That is an issue that is yet to be challenged. Ask yourself,is this the appropriate time to do so ?  

I must be missing what you're getting at, all I was saying was regardless of desire (or lack of) to discount by the retailer, will Bachmann let them? I aren't saying they should or shouldn't or looking for a debate about it!

Although KMS were selling GWR ones for £205 this weekend which is more than the 15% I think.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, JDW said:

Good luck with that - Realtrack coupling <--> Bachmann coupling... Oh for the good old days of tension lock couplings, eh...?! :rolleyes:

It wasn’t possible out of the box in the 1990’s either...

the Bachmann 158 was one of the first models made with this new fangled NEM coupling thingy mi-jiggy which no one liked at the time, as there was no “loop”, just the Roco style one.. of course there was no coupling at all on the front.

And the Lima 156... it came with a plastic monkey wrench shaped fitting that was only designed to couple two 156’s together with nothing else... the way around it was Fleischmann couplings, but then the only other rtr 2nd Gen dmus (Dapols 150/155 and Hornbys 142 had no coupling either) didn’t have an easy way to retrofit them either.

in short we’ve come a long way to stand still... though until recently we had NEM fittings on 143/144/150/153/5/6, nothing on a 142 and unique fitting to a 158.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

the Bachmann 158 was one of the first models made with this new fangled NEM coupling thingy mi-jiggy which no one liked at the time, as there was no “loop”, just the Roco style one.. of course there was no coupling at all on the front.

And the Lima 156... it came with a plastic monkey wrench shaped fitting that was only designed to couple two 156’s together with nothing else... the way around it was Fleischmann couplings, but then the only other rtr 2nd Gen dmus (Dapols 150/155 and Hornbys 142 had no coupling either) didn’t have an easy way to retrofit them either.

in short we’ve come a long way to stand still... though until recently we had NEM fittings on 143/144/150/153/5/6, nothing on a 142 and unique fitting to a 158.

Very true - at least with the older versions, it was a case of a bit of plastic-bashing to create a double-headed coupling bar with one type on one end, the other type on the other end, or to modify one coupling head to fit another coupling mount. With the modern electrical couplings, especially when things like the new Bachmann 158s need both cars coupled to work properly, mixed units will require a lot of modification to the inter-car couplers. At least, as you say, the outer ends now generally have NEM sockets to allow two units to couple together!

Guest Half-full
18 hours ago, bart2day said:

If thats the case then you'll never buy one, even if they were being discounted to £100, someone could sell them at £90 a day later and so on

16 minutes ago, Half-full said:

If thats the case then you'll never buy one, even if they were being discounted to £100, someone could sell them at £90 a day later and so on

I agree.

The way I work is, if I want it, the price is ok and I have the money available I'll buy it.

Stuff I buy discounted is normally either an impulse buy, something I didn't want enough to pay full price but had an eye out for or something I have on the shopping list but it jumps up the queue if it's going cheap!

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

the Bachmann 158 was one of the first models made with this new fangled NEM coupling thingy mi-jiggy which no one liked at the time... of course there was no coupling at all on the front.

And the Lima 158... it came with a plastic monkey wrench shaped fitting that was only designed to couple two 156’s together with nothing else... the way around it was Fleischmann couplings, but then the only other rtr 2nd Gen dmus (Dapols 150/155 and Hornbys 142) didn’t have an easy way to retrofit them either.

But that Lima coupling was in a NEM fitting, you still couldn't couple them though as the Lima  one is at the correct height and the Bachmann one is too low.

P_20200413_142339.jpg

On 13/04/2020 at 10:27, The 158 Man said:

I paid £221 for the Regional Railways one at my local, which on reflection was probably a mistake just before Christmas...

I have the Hurst ploughs myself but sadly they're no good for the new model as they don't fit.

Surely you could make mods to the ones being sold on ebay (sanding etc)? as they're 3d printed resin 

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, OTrail said:

Surely you could make mods to the ones being sold on ebay (sanding etc)? as they're 3d printed resin 

Ssshhhhh - that would involve some - say it quietly - modelling.

:jester:

• Funny 4

In a morning of "lockdown" boredom (because it's raining and i can't run my garden railway) I have been looking through this topic for an answer to something regarding the sound on the 159 but haven't as yet found anything. Having diligently done my duty and had a look first I will ask it now:-

The main sound volume can be adjusted up and down by adjusting CV 266 but I was wondering if there is a way of adjusting the individual sound volumes on the decoder such as the horn and the doors closing alarm and such like. I know it is possible to do this on ESU decoders and I have had a look at the Zimo decoder manual and feel sure it is possible to do it with their decoders too. Unfortunately the Zimo manual is a bit like wading through treacle and not that easy to follow for an ageing old git like me so i was wondering if anyone out there might know what the individual CVs are, whether they can be adjusted and what the value ranges are. In particular I find the horn very weak and wishy washy and would like to increase the volume without increasing the overall sound volume. 

Any advice or assistance would be gratefully received.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, metadyneman said:

Unfortunately the Zimo manual is a bit like wading through treacle

Oddly enough that is one of the reasons I buy ESU decoders. The manuals are excellent and all the settings seem to make sense as they are comprehensive and cover everything the decoder does. Zimo do at least offer a comprehensive manual but I don't feel they way they program things as intuitive in my brief experience of them. But at least they are better than almost everyone else in terms of not assuming that you're frightened of changing things so only want to know the bare minimum.

I hate the manuals where they assume you just want to set speeds, acceleration and switch BEMF off/on!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, metadyneman said:

In a morning of "lockdown" boredom (because it's raining and i can't run my garden railway) I have been looking through this topic for an answer to something regarding the sound on the 159 but haven't as yet found anything. Having diligently done my duty and had a look first I will ask it now:-

The main sound volume can be adjusted up and down by adjusting CV 266 but I was wondering if there is a way of adjusting the individual sound volumes on the decoder such as the horn and the doors closing alarm and such like. I know it is possible to do this on ESU decoders and I have had a look at the Zimo decoder manual and feel sure it is possible to do it with their decoders too. Unfortunately the Zimo manual is a bit like wading through treacle and not that easy to follow for an ageing old git like me so i was wondering if anyone out there might know what the individual CVs are, whether they can be adjusted and what the value ranges are. In particular I find the horn very weak and wishy washy and would like to increase the volume without increasing the overall sound volume. 

Any advice or assistance would be gratefully received.

have a look here :)

Edited by pheaton

On 17/04/2020 at 15:28, pheaton said:

have a look here :)

Had a play with the CVs yesterday, and thank you for your assistance Pheaton. It worked but I fear the speakers do not do the sounds justice. I may have to have a little word with a certain Mr Croft at Roads & Rails to source some better speakers that will fit the 159 ;)