Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

The best speaker enhancement I've heard for the new Bachmann Class 158/159 models is this one, specially developed to fit easily and to get the very best from the sound projects.

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/dcc-c-1/speakers-c-13/upgrade-speaker-for-Bachmann-class-158-p-42

It massively improves the output from the sound decoder, transforming the overall experience.

Best regards,

Paul

This speaker is also available from Digitrains

• Like 1

On 19/04/2020 at 10:20, pauliebanger said:

The best speaker enhancement I've heard for the new Bachmann Class 158/159 models is this one, specially developed to fit easily and to get the very best from the sound projects.

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/dcc-c-1/speakers-c-13/upgrade-speaker-for-Bachmann-class-158-p-42

It massively improves the output from the sound decoder, transforming the overall experience.

Best regards,

Paul

This speaker is also available from Digitrains

Thats interesting. Do you know if anyone has uploaded a video of this speaker fitted to the model? It would be great to hear it before purchase.

I've finally had time to test mine (RR DCC sound) on a short piece of track so will add my thoughts.

In general this is a great looking model with lots of features.  I don't think anyone who buys one will regret it, despite the high cost.  It is a beautiful 'signature piece' for any 1990s modeller - a beautiful 'vanilla' model that immediately adds character to any layout.  Thumbs up to Bachmann overall.

That said there are a few disappointments. The lack of flexibility in the bogies combined with the lack of weight over them means that derailments of the trailer car are too frequent.  Any uneveness in the track will cause you problems and frustration.  I don't think this is good enough for a model of this price - you have to allow for some imperfections in the layouts of 'the average enthusiast'.  Adding weight around the cabs may help - has any one tried this yet?  

The connectors between the carriages look very vulnerable to damage.  If you add the correct exhaust fittings it is difficult to decouple without the risk of breaking either the coupling or the pipes.  Okay so modellers ought to be more careful, but many purchasers will be youngsters or older people that may not have the best manual dexterity.  

The sound is good, but rather muffled, especially at idle.  If you are fussy about this, you may be better to go for one of the aftermarket options.  I can live with with Bachmann sound.

Overall, it is well worth having and I am really enjoying mine. However some aspects (couplings, ride quality, sound) could have been better for the premium price being charged.  I think Bachmann do need to look at this for future releases.

Edited by fezza
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Fezza,

That's an interesting and well balanced review in my opinion.

The model is light, but then the motors are quite small to fit so unobtrusively below the floor. Maybe that's a reason for a lightweight design? I don't know, just my thoughts. Your suggestions about adding weight has some merit. Experimentation would determine what level would be possible without affecting performance.

I've made some improvements to sound fitted models belonging to friends of mine which you might find helpful.

I don't think there's much wrong with the actual sounds, but I found that the fitted speaker is rather weak and with a poor enclosure. This is constriction will cause similar problems with any sound project/decoder added, so will need to be resolved in any case. Also note that the cost of a non-sound model plus an aftermarket sound decoder will cost far more than the factory sound fitted models. (about £40 extra at 'Rails' discounted prices).  £14 or thereabout to fettle the speaker issue still leaves you in pocket.

There are a couple of possible ways to improve the stock offering. (I know, at this price one should not have to do this, but a dramatic improvement is possible for little additional cost).

Option 1. Leave the standard speaker in place and add a second speaker in the non-decoder car. Although the bodies are a bit tricky to open, once inside, fitting a sugar cube or similar speaker is pretty straightforward as all the necessary wiring is included and passes through the coupling to the decoder.

Option 2. Remove the standard speaker and fit something with a bit more umph. Here's the one I used; it was specially developed for the Bachmann Class 158.

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/dcc-c-1/speakers-c-13/twin-upgrade-speaker-for-Bachmann-class-158-p-42

A third option would be to remove the standard speaker, then fit a better speaker to each car. Only point to watch with this, and Option 1, is that the resulting total impedance does not fall below 4 ohms. (plenty of advice available on RMweb about achieving this).

I also found that the instructions did not cover all the features fully, so there are things to be discovered whilst 'learing the road'. You will maybe need more than a short length of track for this. LOL.

Best regards,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Whilst I'd really love a Northern or ScotRail one of these, I do think I have a tenuous case for an EMR one. I say I have ECML stock from York upwards, but if Hornby announced a HT 802 I'd bring that down to Doncaster so why not do the same for a 158?

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 02/05/2020 at 12:07, TomScrut said:

Whilst I'd really love a Northern or ScotRail one of these, I do think I have a tenuous case for an EMR one. I say I have ECML stock from York upwards, but if Hornby announced a HT 802 I'd bring that down to Doncaster so why not do the same for a 158?

I agree. I say go for it. You considering the sound or non sound version?

14 minutes ago, bart2day said:

I agree. I say go for it. You considering the sound or non sound version?

Non sound.

Still on the fence TBH as I could order another 5 car Azuma instead that would be better value for money IMO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/04/2020 at 09:35, The 158 Man said:

I wonder if the snowplough skirt is available as a spare part? I did ask Bachmann but they never replied.. 

Question bump! Hurst used to do a really good cast one (item DKU102) but since they finished I cannot find anywhere to get a ScotRail type front valance/skirt . I need one for the OLD Bachmann model, specifically the Wessex Trains one which represents an ex Scotrail unit. Can someone with a NEW one please look at the parts sheet and advise the part number if it's a separate part OR can someone offer a source of replacement front skirt/valance, a 3D printed one would be ideal. I've looked on eBay, some clown is trying to sell a Hurst one at a 570% mark up on what Hurst used to charge but apart from that nitto...

14 minutes ago, Eddie R v2.0 said:

The 3D printed/ resin ones (can’t remember off the top of my head which medium) are listed from time to time on eBay. I have two sets for a future project. They are pretty clean and don’t need much cleaning up. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362947811646

I've got one of those as well, and they are of good quality. However you've just reminded me that I need to look at this for a future project. 

My sound NSE 159 arrived yesterday and given it a good run. Sounds are better than I was expecting but definitely in need of a speaker upgrade.

The bodyside indicator lights are a nice touch but not very bright and you can only see them dead side on.

Is there a more in depth manual for the decoder? Looking at seeing if I can tweak the brightness of LEDs and sound volume (it's not CV 63)

Cheers

Im not so sure, I would place a fairly significant chance on September... based on there appears to be more GWR 158s due then. This was delivered back late last year...it is clear these 'additional' GWR 158s are a new production run. It would be bonkers to have the Kader factory only manufacture one livery and not additional too?! Or am I bonkers for thinking this? As for 'wishlisting' liveries, it's been suggested on this thread Northern telegrey, TfW white and SWT swoosh might make appearances. Does seem logical, as bang up to date liveries tend to sell and SWT was around longer than NSE!! I do miss SWT, SWR is just so...you know...telegrey. Though I am personally hoping for a Wessex Trains Alpha...it would not be a Wessex Trains if it was ontime though! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 159220 said:

SWT swoosh might make appearances. Does seem logical, as bang up to date liveries tend to sell and SWT was around longer than NSE!! I do miss SWT

While popular, it's very similar to the EMT version so may not be that great of a seller.

But then again, perhaps it would take minimal adjustments for a SWT version and thus could be done fairly cheaply.

Although it's not a "bang up to date" livery now.

A bit disappointing that they didn't launch with more options. Look at Hornby and Hattons 66, even RoS Terrier - all launched with a good few liveries compared with Bachmann's two.

Hard though as popular liveries may have a very small operating area, but other liveries could fit into nearly every layout. But then again, rule 1 applies for most anyway.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Half-full
3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

While popular, it's very similar to the EMT version so may not be that great of a seller.

But then again, perhaps it would take minimal adjustments for a SWT version and thus could be done fairly cheaply.

Although it's not a "bang up to date" livery now.

A bit disappointing that they didn't launch with more options. Look at Hornby and Hattons 66, even RoS Terrier - all launched with a good few liveries compared with Bachmann's two.

Hard though as popular liveries may have a very small operating area, but other liveries could fit into nearly every layout. But then again, rule 1 applies for most anyway.

I guess it down to the fact that Bachmann's production facilities are under a lot of pressure, from a lot of different ranges, plus the fact the MU's don't sell anywhere near as much as loco's do.  I am quite surprised that Northern or Scotrail weren't in the first run though - maybe these have significant detail differences from those released?

Saying that, I have more units than loco's!!!

1 hour ago, Half-full said:

the fact the MU's don't sell anywhere near as much as loco's do.

Yeah I saw a load of people on FB today whinging about the price of the 101. They even referenced the cost of a 90 and said that makes the coaches £60 each. I pointed them in the direction of the RRP of a Bachmann mk2F non DCC.... and thats before one considers that a MU end is a lot more work than a coach end! As in paying near RRP for a Bachmann 37/47 and a couple of non DCC mk2fs (an alternative to a 3 car 101 in a lot of situations) will be a very similar cost.

I think people see the cost of a MU as being a cost of a loco and a cheap coach, rather than what is more likely to be the cost of 2 locos minus a drivetrain plus any central coaches at a high quality. The coach ends of MUs often have details such as exhausts etc. That aren't on standard coaches so it's not that the 2 ends of the MU add up to one loco in work IMO.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Bachmann aren't really known for multiple livery launches.

And they often hold back what people perceive as the most popular liveries for second and third releases

• Agree 5

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

they often hold back what people perceive as the most popular liveries for second and third releases

Whilst I haven't heard that said before, thinking about the 90 it would explain why they didn't do DB, EWS or RES all of which I'd have expected to be more popular than Freightliner

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It is annoying when manufacturers appear tp hold back popular liveries but older readers will remember when there were about 15 different Lima editions of the same locomotive and stock piled up at retailers... and what happened to Lima shortly afterwards. 

Yes I do think Bachmann deliberately restrict supply to protect prices. I don't like it but I don't blame them as it seems to work from a business point of view. 

• Like 1