Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

I'd be interested to know about this. As it looks on the 90 as though a lot of the lighting logic is on board. If this was the case with the 158 then the cab light function may operate "AND" with the rear lights meaning it cannot be done. I see why Bachmann might do this so you can shove any old decoder in there and all the functions work, but for those of us who like to tweak function maps it's not ideal.

FWIWI set my Hattons 66 so that the cab light can only be on when stationary in that direction but rear end could be on any time but that was all on the decoder as the circuit board literally gives access to LEDs.

The destination lights on my EMT version are not on, my model is a DCC sound fitted model.    Is there a CV code for the destination lights?    I cannot find one in the list of CV's included in the box.   Any advice please.

On 02/07/2020 at 16:15, Nobby (John) said:

The destination lights on my EMT version are not on, my model is a DCC sound fitted model.    Is there a CV code for the destination lights?    I cannot find one in the list of CV's included in the box.   Any advice please.

The Realtrack website lists everything, this should be your first port of call:

DCC Sound Functions:

F0 Daytime Running

F1 Engines Start/Stop

F2 Playable High Horn

F3 Playable Low Horn 

F4 Passenger Door Open/Close

F5 Brake Application when moving / Brake Dump when stationary

F6 Drivers Door Open/Close

F7 Compressor Speed Up

F8 Toilet Discharge

F9 Variable Speed Flange Squeal

F10 Dispatch Whistle

F11 Guard To Driver Buzzer

F12 Passenger Lighting

F13 Directional Destination Blind Light

F14 Automatic Coupling / Uncoupling Sounds

F16 PA Announcements (CV Changeable)

F17 PA Announcements (CV Changeable)

F18 Detonators

F19 Directional Cab Light

F20 Night Time Running

F21 Wabasto Carriage Heater 

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

For those of you who originally missed out, a second batch of the DCC ready GWR Class 158's has been released over the past couple of days!

If you're in the market for one, checkout your local model shop who may have just taken delivery...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I wonder, with the early arrival of the second run of the first run GWR 158, does this rule out further 158/159 in the August releases? Maybe new releases have arrived and Bachmann shall sit them in the warehouse for a few weeks?

When is the August announcements? Retailers/Press attending does anyone know - ie...nice photos! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 159220 said:

I wonder, with the early arrival of the second run of the first run GWR 158, does this rule out further 158/159 in the August releases? Maybe new releases have arrived and Bachmann shall sit them in the warehouse for a few weeks?

When is the August announcements? Retailers/Press attending does anyone know - ie...nice photos! 

As far as I know it's the 5th August, which is two weeks as of yesterday. I have an inclination that you could be right and that possibly additional 158s and 159s have been produced but are been held back until the next official quarterly announcement which just happens to be around the corner. It would make for a very good opportunity for the next batch, both to delivery them with the GWR 158 and make use of the next quarterly announcement. I hope Bachmann have grasped this opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

My thoughts exactly. Would you prefer the Abellio purple or the recently DFT inspired Northern white? Personally, I like both but in order to model the most recent scene I would prefer the Northern white. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

The later the better for me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

The later the better for me!

I'm with you. It would be nice to have something up to date, so the Northern white fits perfectly. The trouble with the purple Abellio is it goes back a number of years now, so if you are an Era 11 modeller/collector you would be hard pushed to justify buying it. 

I have to say I was a bit unsure of the white livery but it has grown on me. I think it always looks very fresh, clean and bright and despite it been easy to see muck all of the ones I have seen so far have still looked clean and fresh, even weeks and months after refurbishment. So yes I'm actually quite taken with it now. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

My thoughts exactly. Would you prefer the Abellio purple or the recently DFT inspired Northern white? Personally, I like both but in order to model the most recent scene I would prefer the Northern white. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Think I have mentioned this before - but would be better to do Abellio purple first as that would match a lot of the Northern rail stock already available. You can get 144, 150, 153, 156 (commission or due soon) with 142 to be released (or Hornby version). 

I would release Abellio first alongside these, with a Northern one in White to follow soon after.  

• Agree 1

Just received my 158 GWR livery from Rails. Excellent model and really glad I got this one however, on opening the box one of the 158's wheel sets was hanging out and hadn't been located correctly in the bogie and there were two detailing parts in the bottom of the carton from the underside. Sorted the wheel set out and the two detailing parts hadn't been glued in place. These were duly sorted out. All in all a good looking model and now sorted but they shouldn't leave the factory like this. Not enough Quality Control going on me thinks.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It is likely that when the model was placed in the box, all parts were intact and in the right place - so QC would seemingly be seen to be doing it's work. Would QC/QA check for all parts being securely affixed with the correct amount of glue? Dunno the answer to that one - do they do a "shake test"?

I've had stock with wheels out before - so probably a combination of rough handling and/or a design issue that means that the wheels can fall out easily. I've got some stock that will displace axles if they are placed on the track without extreme care - Bachmann JPAs.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Just received my 158 GWR livery from Rails. Excellent model and really glad I got this one however, on opening the box one of the 158's wheel sets was hanging out and hadn't been located correctly in the bogie and there were two detailing parts in the bottom of the carton from the underside. Sorted the wheel set out and the two detailing parts hadn't been glued in place. These were duly sorted out. All in all a good looking model and now sorted but they shouldn't leave the factory like this. Not enough Quality Control going on me thinks.

ATM a problem in common with 117/121 DMUs releases. Agree entirely with your comments but it seems there is little if any commitment to address a problem that seems common to every firm in the model rail fraternity. Just an acceptance that a certain % of boxes will contain unwanted issues and will be returned or reluctantly accepted.and managed accordingly by its recipient. What’s to be done ?  Probably nothing ,just the way of dealing with merchandise manufactured on the other side of the planet in a regime that we appear to be experiencing difficulties with.Nothing under the sun is new and this is no exception. 

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

I've had stock with wheels out before

Yeah there have been plenty of things I have received in the past needing an axle popping back into place.

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

certain % of boxes

Unfortunately that is probably the case.

There is a balance between cost and accuracy/quality, including putting measures in place to find out everything

• RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2020 at 02:24, MRDBLUE17 said:

Northern versions like these? Unbranded purple and the white. Both look smart on the new Bachmann models.

cheers

Mark

95CA5687-D8E4-44F3-A558-B435B34846F4.jpeg

Very nice. Are these repaints from the latest Bachmann base models? 

I have to say that whilst the purple Abellio in my opinion was a nice colour scheme I do like the new Northern white livery, just because I think that the bodysides look better with the blue swirl as opposed to the diagonal white strip on the purple Abellio livery. 

On 24/07/2020 at 10:17, The Black Hat said:

Think I have mentioned this before - but would be better to do Abellio purple first as that would match a lot of the Northern rail stock already available. You can get 144, 150, 153, 156 (commission or due soon) with 142 to be released (or Hornby version). 

I would release Abellio first alongside these, with a Northern one in White to follow soon after.  

I completely agree, that from a business strategy/perspective it would be wise to produce the liveries in order of life on the real 158s, thus purple Abellio could be first. From my earlier perspective I was thinking about which livery is nicer in terms of the colour scheme, shape, brightness etc and obviously the Northern white is appropriate for any current/Era 11 modeller/collector, thus in 2020 should appeal to many. Although, at the same time I do think that the purple Abellio livery would sell well as you mention it did on all of the other units produced by Bachmann or otherwise. 

So yes from a business perspective definitely produce the Abellio purple first because if the Northern white was to appear first in the Bachmann range, I don't think they would get away with then jumping back in time to producing a previous livery, that is currently already a few years outdated as it is. Maybe purple Abellio in 2020 and Northern white in 2022, to allow for the Abellio purple to sell out and then for demand to return for another Northern livery? 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I completely agree, that from a business strategy/perspective it would be wise to produce the liveries in order of life on the real 158s,

I’m not sure I’d agree, but maybe I’m just old...

Ive got the previous tooled 158, and side to side, I don’t see too much difference. Sure the underframe paint job is better, and I think the front end looks better, but the majority of improvement is under the hood.

I don’t mind updating models based on improved appearance, but as a DC modeller, theres not much under the hood in it for me, and £150+ difference trading in an old one doesn’t stack up.

I’ve decided to keep my older liveries, they run fine, sit well, but new liveries that haven’t been made previously... then there’s interest to me.

Am I in minority.. I don’t know, but  it feels like GWR and EMT seem to have come, gone and returned, but provincial seems to have been constantly available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2