Bachmann Class 158 Status

cs233

4 hours ago, Railfreight1998 said:

Scotrail 158s will need a new plough/obstacle deflector to be tooled.

This seems to have been factored in as the GWR release has the deflector style fitted to Scottish units. Technically when the very early 158 units were built such as 158702 they did carry standard deflectors when leaving BREL Derby after construction although within months did receive the revised deflector.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, cs233 said:

This seems to have been factored in as the GWR release has the deflector style fitted to Scottish units. Technically when the very early 158 units were built such as 158702 they did carry standard deflectors when leaving BREL Derby after construction although within months did receive the revised deflector.

I should have maybe looked at what had been tooled before replying! The light clusters are also slightly different on the saltire 158s, but would be fine for the older 'barbie' units, and I doubt many would mind the difference.

56 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

I should have maybe looked at what had been tooled before replying! The light clusters are also slightly different on the saltire 158s, but would be fine for the older 'barbie' units, and I doubt many would mind the difference.

I'd be surprised if Bachmann were short sighted enough to not factor in most or all of the combinations, given they'll be expecting this tooling to be in the market for a long time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m sure Bachmann will do the correct headlights for a Scotrail 158, or face the wrath of Scottish modellers.  They would also have to redo the pilot to include the small snowplough.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Given the next Bachmann announcement is the products that will probably be out for Christmas, it’s got to be the expensive stuff. That’s probably northern, scotrail 158s and hopefully a swt/swr 159/8. Hopefully they’ll utilise the fantastic tooling! 

Whilst I don't think there will be loads of different ones. Given there is a recently arrived second batch of GWR ones I expect that something would have been made alongside.

If there's a Northern one in current ish livery I'll have it. 3 car white I'd be well happy.

I wonder if there will be a MU Collectors Club model?

Edited by TomScrut

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst I don't think there will be loads of different ones. Given there is a recently arrived second batch of GWR ones I expect that something would have been made alongside.

If there's a Northern one in current ish livery I'll have it. 3 car white I'd be well happy.

Didn’t they do a collectors club 150 a few years ago? Definitely possible but would be a shame if it wasn’t for general release 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I was surprised at the second batch.

if they’d changed the number, i’d have taken a second.

Lets see how it sells now FOMO is gone.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

@cs233 has pointed out the GWR model has the correct plough tooling.

As I worked for Wessex Trains and First Great Western, those that had the plough were ex Virgin Trains units, of which there were four.

On 30/10/2020 at 17:35, jools1959 said:

As I worked for Wessex Trains and First Great Western, those that had the plough were ex Virgin Trains units, of which there were four.

Indeed this was the former Intercity Cross Country fleet that passed to Virgin. When they were in the original Express livery they had a different interior with purple seats in standard class and a first class section that was very comfortable in fact superior to most first class seats currently on the network.

A release of one of these four units in the original Express livery would be interesting as they got far and wide. I even recall in the mid 90's one operating a service from Liverpool to Portsmouth. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello, e30ftw. I tried doing just that with my two units, but it is not possible. You do need the hand of God, and you have to be very careful in case the dummy BSI couplings break.  The best way for automatic uncoupling will be to use a Kadee.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, e30ftw said:

Apologies if this has been asked.

If the new 158 is coupled together to another one, through the replica BSi coupling, can one unit it pull its self aprt from another in a staion or depot for example, without the hand of god?

Yes but its for the brave.

8A4BC866-FE6F-4F1B-9BFC-904E34BD89AE.jpeg.2a0bb6ce521d3f10bca0e2dd8e99e556.jpeg

high risk of scratch or coupling damage, if there is a technique I didnt find it.

ive fitted mine with NEM couplings.

before..

70A89143-694D-4541-BB3F-0F8AF0CD2BED.jpeg.171ad5e0446302313403af8e216174db.jpeg

after..

F2292A20-DB0A-4E69-A9FC-8C51548CC2B2.jpeg.0e332468ca80c262d38d22063f79c896.jpeg

D92DCAE9-C179-4F96-B2D2-D764EE723FDD.jpeg.b52d4a5803188b9405f5bc8973c90914.jpeg

Closer coupling NEM couplings are possible, but at least you now have a choice.

Roco 40344 is the part I used.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yes but its for the brave.

8A4BC866-FE6F-4F1B-9BFC-904E34BD89AE.jpeg.2a0bb6ce521d3f10bca0e2dd8e99e556.jpeg

high risk of scratch or coupling damage, if there is a technique I didnt find it.

ive fitted mine with NEM couplings.

before..

70A89143-694D-4541-BB3F-0F8AF0CD2BED.jpeg.171ad5e0446302313403af8e216174db.jpeg

after..

F2292A20-DB0A-4E69-A9FC-8C51548CC2B2.jpeg.0e332468ca80c262d38d22063f79c896.jpeg

D92DCAE9-C179-4F96-B2D2-D764EE723FDD.jpeg.b52d4a5803188b9405f5bc8973c90914.jpeg

Closer coupling NEM couplings are possible, but at least you now have a choice.

Roco 40344 is the part I used.

I was thinking of coupling my EMT 158 with one of my Hornby EMT 153’s as you have done, it’s been a great help.  I will be honest though, I’d probably use Kadee’s so I can attach and detach units when I want.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest - has anyone else with the sound fitted variant had issues with the running? I've got one and it has a bit of stutter to it when running (mainly in the 20-55 speed steps out of 128). Its silky smooth starting off and fine above 55 speed steps, but has a slight shunt/stutter inbetween. I've tried it on DC and its smooth as silk throughout the range, but not on DCC with the Zimo decoder. I had 3 from a local retailer and they were all the same, so I appreciate it might just been the way they are, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has had the same.

Edited by adamvb

1 hour ago, adamvb said:

Out of interest - has anyone else with the sound fitted variant had issues with the running? I've got one of the EMT ones and it has a bit of stutter to it when running (mainly in the 20-55 speed steps out of 128). Its silky smooth starting off and fine above 55 speed steps, but has a slight shunt/stutter inbetween. I've tried it on DC and its smooth as silk throughout the range, but not on DCC with the Zimo decoder. I had 3 from a local retailer and they were all the same, so I appreciate it might just been the way they are, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has had the same.

This is a strange one, especially as it runs smoothly throughout on DC.

Perhaps its a BEMF regulation issue?

To test this, temporarily try CV58 = 0 to see if this improves the smoothness at the speeds you report.

You will need to reinstate a value in CV58 (default is max 255) but it is possible to change the BEMF 'intensity' automatically at selected speeds and this may enable a targeted solution to solve your issue whilst retaining the benefits of BEMF regulation.

Best regards,

Paul

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

This is a strange one, especially as it runs smoothly throughout on DC.

Perhaps its a BEMF regulation issue?

To test this, temporarily try CV58 = 0 to see if this improves the smoothness at the speeds you report.

You will need to reinstate a value in CV58 (default is max 255) but it is possible to change the BEMF 'intensity' automatically at selected speeds and this may enable a targeted solution to solve your issue whilst retaining the benefits of BEMF regulation.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the suggestion - its really perplexed me. I've spent some time this afternoon adjusting the CVs and when the BEMF on CV58 is set to 0 the performance in the 20-60 speed step range is perfectly smooth, but obviously the take off is awful. I tried adjusting the BEMF back up slowly, but even at 10 in CV58 its back to the shunt/stutter.

I've also tried using CV10 (EMF Feedback Cut out) and CV113 (Compensation Cut Off) set to various values (CV113 = 0 to make it cut off at the speed steps in CV10 (started at 40 as I assume when it says internal speed step 0-252 this means each speed step on 0-126 is doubled to get the relative speed step on the decoder), but this didn't improve matters with the slow speed and reintroduced the stutter in the 20-60 range.

Any other suggestions and ideas welcome!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2020 at 09:43, TomScrut said:

Since your post, the "current" (as of Jan 2021) Northern livery isn't quite the same.

It started to be changed in early Nov 2020 and is now appearing quite regularly.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1