Jump to content

Bachmann Class 158 Status


Recommended Posts

Hi All,

i managed to secure one of these Bachmann class 158 in the Regional Railways livery complete with sound.

Although I am very impressed with this model I am after some feedback about increasing the volume of the sound chip. I am aware ther has been several posts about upgrading the speaker it is more the volume 'question' that I am after an initial solution to as this model is considerably quieter than all my other sound fitted loco's.

Any advice greatfully received

In the meantime, please see an image from my running session this evening.

 

IMG_3123.PNG

Edited by CB Rail
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/12/2019 at 22:29, Eddie R v2.0 said:

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I would like to ask what the opinions are on the colours? To me, the beige is far too dark on the RR one but it may just be the light in the photo in this thread.

I'm afraid I have to agree; to my eyes the beige is much too dark. IMO the original Bachmann RR 158 colours were more accurate. Which is why I'll be hanging on to my two old units. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to upgrading them.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

I'm afraid I have to agree; to my eyes the beige is much too dark. IMO the original Bachmann RR 158 colours were more accurate. Which is why I'll be hanging on to my two old units. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to upgrading them.

My mate had his new version with him on Friday when he visited and we compared it with my old one- it’s definitely too dark now that I have seen a comparison. 
 

The new version is very good in most other aspects but at well over £200, I’m happy to stick with my old version which I paid £75 for! It’s next to get the Express Models lighting kit and DCC fitted. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I converted my units to DCC some time ago. Hard wiring in the decoders was easy, but I never got round to fitting new lights. Still on the "to do" list!  The motors are really controllable and the fact they growl a bit saves a sound fit haha!

 

Anyway, getting back to the new model, I haven't completely ruled out getting one; if there are any RR ones being sold off cheaper in the months to come I may purchase and repaint the beige to a lighter shade.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CB Rail said:

Hi All,

i managed to secure one of these Bachmann class 158 in the Regional Railways livery complete with sound.

Although I am very impressed with this model I am after some feedback about increasing the volume of the sound chip. I am aware ther has been several posts about upgrading the speaker it is more the volume 'question' that I am after an initial solution to as this model is considerably quieter than all my other sound fitted loco's.

Any advice greatfully received

In the meantime, please see an image from my running session this evening.

 

IMG_3123.PNG

 

CV266 is the volume setting CV. It's set to 64 by default.

 

This would normally be loud enough for most circumstances. You have read about speaker upgrades because, really, that's what is needed for significantly higher volume in this model. The speaker connections go through the coupling to the other (non-decoder) car so fitting a better speaker in that car is a good option. Make sure it has at least 8ohms impedance (higher will work, lower may destroy the amplifier).

 

However, your question appears to be about about volume control. There are a couple of possibilities you can try which will increase the volume but maybe not by the amount you seek.

 

There is volume control already on the decoder. F key 27 reduces volume and F key 28 will increase it, making sure only one is engaged at at time. (these work by temporarily changing the value in CV266).

 

Or you can go directly to CV266 and put in a value of your choice. The range is 1 - 255, BUT, anything higher than 100-120 (ish) will have unacceptable distortion. Not only is that bad for your ears, it can eventually damage the speaker and or amplifier. (it looks like the maximum value in CV266 by using F key 28 is 100, so there's a guide).

 

A bigger or additional, speaker will increase volume without needing to drive the amplifier quite so hard. (and sound coming from both cars' engines would probably be more realistic anyway)

 

Best regards,

 

Paul

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The 

On 10/02/2020 at 08:40, Eddie R v2.0 said:

My mate had his new version with him on Friday when he visited and we compared it with my old one- it’s definitely too dark now that I have seen a comparison. 
 

The new version is very good in most other aspects but at well over £200, I’m happy to stick with my old version which I paid £75 for! It’s next to get the Express Models lighting kit and DCC fitted. 

 

I've been looking into the beige stripe on flickr and tbh I haven't made up my mind on it. With bad light it looks quite dark but the model should possibly be a bit lighter ; 

158829, Portcreek, Portsmouth, February 6th 1996

 

And it looks quite dark here

158751, Newport, May 29th 2003

 

 

I think alot of the lighter shade is light reflection as these my memories of them were that they were gloss, As in this shot the upper band appears to me a different colour to the lower band

 

158776 Hall Royd Junction, Todmorden

 

 

Overall i think it probably could do with a lighter shade but that project is probably one for when I've finished my 1000 other projects first. I think i can live with it.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Dirt plays a major factor on Rail light greys applied below window level.

The same discussion is often had about Intercity livery.

 

ex-works it will look very light, especially on a sunny day. After a week of rain, wind and snow the dirt layer darkens the grey somewhat. Within a few weeks the dirt is engrained. In the 1990’s even windows were notorious to be “tinted” with engrained dirt that you can barely see through..even after a wash.

 

As it only took about a week for dirt to set in, seeing a truly light grey wasn't that common, even on recently ex-works stock.

 

You would have thought BR would have learned from painting DMUs white in the 1970’s, that dirt is dirty. The last experiment seems to be the “silver” white of Intercity Swallow on locos, the brightness shone through for longer, but dirt gets you in the end.


This slide was being eaten, before I scanned it, but the dirt can be seen in perspectives of grey here easy enough on the loco.., the light cluster surrounds having a Swallow “white”, whilst the body sides have the executive light grey, the angled cab misses much of the dirt the body sides pickup.

 

 

80AE3AE3-B474-49F7-BA50-9174B4294E34.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, richscylla said:

Can you use any Plux22 chip or does it have to be the Bachmann one? I have a Lens Silver Plux22 somewhere and I was hoping to use that. 

Yes I used the lais DCC one which works fine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2020 at 00:02, cravensdmufan said:

I'm afraid I have to agree; to my eyes the beige is much too dark. IMO the original Bachmann RR 158 colours were more accurate. Which is why I'll be hanging on to my two old units. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to upgrading them.

Vivian, 

 

Have you looked at the a Fox Transfers livery pack for the Original Class 158 livery?  https://fox-transfers.co.uk/transfers/express-class-158-complete-livery-pack
 

Possibly a quick fix. Hope this helps!

 

Chris..

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2020 at 18:28, Markwj said:

Yes I used the lais DCC one which works fine.

 

I used a Lenz PluX 22-pin Silver Loco Decoder and some of the functions didn't work.

 

I will be intrigued to see if yours does.

 

I've actually purchased a Bachmann one and fitted it today.

 

The actual function buttons don't correspond with the documentation !!

 

Unless its my Gaugemaster !!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using a Uhlenbrock PluX 22 which seems to work fine and the functions correspond with the Bachmann leaflet. DCC system is NCE PowerCab.

 

The model is quite a noisy runner though; has anyone else found this?

Edited by Pillar
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, Pillar. My 158 is very quiet, and that’s just one of many things I particularly like about it. I hope yours is not faulty in any way, and that maybe some carefully applied lubricant, as per Bachmann’s instructions, with the recommended running in will enable the noise you have on your 158 to diminish greatly.

 

Rob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pillar said:

I'm using a Uhlenbrock PluX 22 which seems to work fine and the functions correspond with the Bachmann leaflet. DCC system is NCE PowerCab.

 

The model is quite a noisy runner though; has anyone else found this?

 

The motors do make a slight whirring when they start but they're not noisy. 

 

In terms of your function buttons that's quite interesting to read as the leaflet does not detail F2 braking function (which the Bachmann Decoder leaflet does) so Directional Lights End B (on/off) is actually F3 and so on. With F6 Day / Night actually F7.

 

15828291053503803201556531900753.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/02/2020 at 18:59, martin_l_jones said:

 

I used a Lenz PluX 22-pin Silver Loco Decoder and some of the functions didn't work.

 

I will be intrigued to see if yours does.

 

I've actually purchased a Bachmann one and fitted it today.

 

The actual function buttons don't correspond with the documentation !!

 

Unless its my Gaugemaster !!  

Not been able to check functions till now

F0 head/tail lights illuminated 

F1 head lights off/ tail on

F2 tail lights off headlights on

F3 interior lighting on

F4 trailing cab lights

F5 nothing

F6 nothing

hope this helps

mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/02/2020 at 21:10, Markwj said:

Not been able to check functions till now

F0 head/tail lights illuminated 

F1 head lights off/ tail on

F2 tail lights off headlights on

F3 interior lighting on

F4 trailing cab lights

F5 nothing

F6 nothing

hope this helps

mark


Try F7 and onwards you may find the missing functions  in there...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:


Try F7 and onwards you may find the missing functions  in there...

Did have a quick press nothing obvious but have now got the 'proper' Bachmann one so going to swap anyway

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I heard today from the local “I’ve got a mate, who knows a mate who works at Bachmann” that Bachmann are really happy with the reviews regarding the Class 158 and 159 that they are drawing up a list of the second batch.

 

Personally I think it’s cobblers but in the past he’s said something which we’ve all dismissed and low and behold it’s either arrived or announced.  He said on the list, 2 car Class 158’s, Scotrail Saltaire livery, current Northern livery and Transport for Wales.  On the 3 car 158’s, Northern and 159’s, Stagecoach SouthWest trains.

 

Has anyone else heard this or shall I consider it bull s**t?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I heard today from the local “I’ve got a mate, who knows a mate who works at Bachmann” that Bachmann are really happy with the reviews regarding the Class 158 and 159 that they are drawing up a list of the second batch.

 

I wouldn't say they have any reason to doubt those 6 words...

 

I think they've done a really nice job with them.. twin motors, nice couplings and good livery choices.

 

ive got the GWR & EMR versions, I think the older liveried ones aren't bad so as a DC user don't need to upgrade, but if I didn't already have them i’d buy the new one over the old one.. if your DCC its no brainer really.


on the basis of your post, and my experience a focus on new liveries would make total sense, no idea how that plays out wider, but i’d be in for 158702 in Saltaire (ironic as it was Scotrails first 158 and the one Bachmann did in Scotrail provincial livery) and a Northern one for sure.

 

I need a SWT 3 car 159, and noticed on ebay they are creeping to £190, on that basis i’ll wait for the new one.

 

 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

I wouldn't say they have any reason to doubt those 6 words...

 

I think they've done a really nice job with them.. twin motors, nice couplings and good livery choices.

 

ive got the GWR & EMR versions, I think the older liveried ones aren't bad so as a DC user don't need to upgrade, but if I didn't already have them i’d buy the new one over the old one.. if your DCC its no brainer really.


I have a sound EMT version and I’d love to get the GWR one as well as I used to work for Wessex Trains, then First Great Western but I can’t justify the outlay on my present day Peterborough - Lincoln “joint line” layout.  Also battling (and winning) the “big C”, I’ve had to put a severe brake on my spending.

  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Id have a 3 car in the Northern Blue and Purple... as that would match the units already made for that Northern Franchise that are already on the market - especially those units with working sound and lights.  

You have the 144, 153, 150, 156 and 142 to follow... makes sense to add Northern Blue and Purple as well as White and Blue if Bachmann wanted.
 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.